Replacement Belts from Turntablebasics

music box
cement_head

Replacement Belts from Turntablebasics

Post by cement_head » 26 Dec 2019 17:13

Anyone have experience with these replacement belts? URL: http://www.turntablebasics.com/belts/thorens.html

62vauxhall

Re: Replacement Belts from Turntablebasics

Post by 62vauxhall » 31 Dec 2019 22:24

Very suspect due to price - they’re too cheap. They’ll no doubt fit as having the right dimensions - circumference and width but will probably be too thick or made from the wrong material. Whichever the case, I’d bet they are not supple enough.

As far as I’m concerned, these days most such parts as turntable belts come from China, maybe even the same factory. Strictly made to sell cheap and at first glance, appear to fit.

A proper Thorens belt will be +/- $30 and that just seems the way it is. I stubbornly refused to believe that when a friend had me rejuvenate a TD150. What I spent on three “cheap” belts was wasted as was the time it took to get them.

This same scenario seems now to be the case with Dual belts as well. Once upon a time, generic turntable belts were quite alright but no longer. That’s what makes me think point of origin is the same place in China. The bulk of replacement turntable belts out there are consistently NFG.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 01 Jan 2020 01:58

62vauxhall wrote:
31 Dec 2019 22:24
Very suspect due to price - they’re too cheap. They’ll no doubt fit as having the right dimensions - circumference and width but will probably be too thick or made from the wrong material. Whichever the case, I’d bet they are not supple enough.
Such a small piece of rubber has to be cheap to be produced. Whether it's made of the right rubber material and to the right width, thickness and length, none of that shan't affect it's production cost production by more than a dollar...

The lab test and research period for the proper rubber belt should cost some though, but the actual production cost of the final product should be rather minimal. Only the rubber quality should indeed matter and the 'soldering' ends.

Hence those smaller phono brands proposing "creative" belts with unseen performance involving rocket science technologies and the latest NASA secret rubber developed in zero gravity, how their prices are truly not competitive.
62vauxhall wrote:
31 Dec 2019 22:24
As far as I’m concerned, these days most such parts as turntable belts come from China, maybe even the same factory. Strictly made to sell cheap and at first glance, appear to fit.

A proper Thorens belt will be +/- $30 and that just seems the way it is. I stubbornly refused to believe that when a friend had me rejuvenate a TD150. What I spent on three “cheap” belts was wasted as was the time it took to get them.

This same scenario seems now to be the case with Dual belts as well. Once upon a time, generic turntable belts were quite alright but no longer. That’s what makes me think point of origin is the same place in China. The bulk of replacement turntable belts out there are consistently NFG.
There I totally agree with you. Poor quality material done with poor manufacture skills at unbeatable whole sale price like they're so good at in China just overflows our markets and allow local dealers to increase their benefit margins.

Like in the car industry, the spare price take crazy proportion as it's part of the 'after service' that which include cataloging, stocking and handling outside the manufacture line chain. These costs also include their benefit margins...

But all that still doesn't justify to overrated price the branded brands are demanding for any of their spare parts actually. That's how I understand the belts over price policy; sold as any other turntable spare parts... Too easy IMO.

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 01 Jan 2020 04:09

I can't comment on the apparent too low prices (?) or other service related details of this vendor, I can recommend and endorse belts I have obtained from both turntableneedles.com and vintage-electronics.org. Both provided belts that were very reasonably priced, fit correctly, are still in use years later, and were easy to select. Depending on suppliers, a quality belt need not cost a lot, just because the component it is going on did cost a lot. Concerns about possible quality out of off-shore manufacturers notwithstanding, one must look at these issues without undue bias, and avoid the big brush treatment, especially since so much manufacturing has left North American shores. Established companies that care about their clientele will generally make sure they are providing quality product, price, sometimes, notwithstanding. Turntablebasics has been around for some time by the way, not a fly by night company by most standards. Again, I can confidently recommend the other two companies I mentioned above. Best regards, and Happy New Year! :D

cement_head

Post by cement_head » 04 Jan 2020 19:38

Thanks all. I usually buy OEM Thorens belts from Rutherford Audio (USA), or QAudio (Cambridge, MA, USA) for $30 a belt. But I thought I'd try a Thakker Belt from Germany. I didn't know about the turntableneedles.com belts, so I might try one of those. It's very dry in Ohio in the winters and I have forced air heating and belts don't last much more than a year before switch up to 45 RPM stops working. I suspect that all these new replacement belts, including the OEM belts are not made from as good a material as originally in the 1960s/1970s.

rkay5
United States of America

Post by rkay5 » 12 Jan 2020 22:08

Thakker Belt works very good on Thorens and on my LP12's. I feel it is best to spend more on a belt.Why throw money at crapy junk that wont work right..