music box
seb101
Great Britain

Re: Proud accidental owner of a TD 166 MkII

Post by seb101 » 26 Nov 2019 20:43

tlscapital wrote:
26 Nov 2019 17:26
Not that it's a "bad" move but this is 4 steps in one;

- Double the RCA connectors with female ones.
- New cables.
- Heavier base.
- Spikes cone feet.

Evidently you'll hear differences or improvements... but due to what mostly or specifically ?
All fair points, I think I am just looking for any improvement here. I'm not an audiophile, just an engineer :lol:

I hope the addition of extra RCAs will be outweighed by the fact I will be putting the Phono pre-amp directly under the turntable (in the gap created by the spikes) so I will be able to use a low-capacitance interconnect of only 20cm or less, which is significantly shorter than the original 100cm+ fixed cable.

StephDale
Great Britain

Post by StephDale » 26 Nov 2019 22:20

seb101 wrote:
26 Nov 2019 20:43
I'm not an audiophile, just an engineer :lol:
We have habit, in the UK, of ignoring simple, elegant engineering solutions; it's just not part of an engineer's education over here. But that is firmly the territory you are in with Thorens turntables. There is much to appreciate in the standard '16x series Thorens tables; they're beautifully built and well designed. The number of awful-sounding (and looking) 'upgraded' Thorens turntables I've heard (and seen) over the years is frightening...

Of course, there's no guarantee yours will be that scary, but it'll be tricky to end up in a good place if your requirements aren't clear. I'm intrigued as to what aspects of the sound you are hoping to engineer...? Or what your other objectives are?

Steph

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 28 Nov 2019 16:19

seb101 wrote:
All fair points, I think I am just looking for any improvement here. I'm not an audiophile, just an engineer :lol:
Any "improvement" is rather subjective and unpriced to say the least... :wink: But that's OK if you want it that way though. Only if something is not participating as you would expect in that 4 in 1 "improvement" package there, how can you know which one is it or how will you trouble shoot and try to 'unwind' only the one that might give you issues if ever ? Am a practical guy. Sometimes...

Am no "audiophile" either. Record collector and music craver since a teen, it's only later in my life that I decide to invest in my phono gear with a more realistic budget and quest deeper into what's right for my old records and ventured into DIY tweaks. Now I enjoy more records even more. If not for my records, I wouldn't have bothered to put so much time and money in it.
seb101 wrote:
I hope the addition of extra RCAs will be outweighed by the fact I will be putting the Phono pre-amp directly under the turntable (in the gap created by the spikes) so I will be able to use a low-capacitance interconnect of only 20cm or less, which is significantly shorter than the original 100cm+ fixed cable.
Short cables, but that implies to have the preamp very close to the turntable and not elsewhere if ever. For the length difference, I doubt you'll hear much benefit there. Most would reasonably opt for shielded cables and a safe place for the preamp (shielded housing). And under the turntable I doubt that the spikes will give enough height for such preamp but...