Motor rewire on TD166MKII

music box
Turnbacktime

Motor rewire on TD166MKII

Post by Turnbacktime » 17 Nov 2019 12:58

I have a TD166MKII with a 16v motor. I have been given a mains voltage motor that spins far quieter and smoother than mine.
Is it possible to rewire a 16v model to run off mains. Guess apart from obvious like dropper resistor and capacitors it us whether the on/off switch will handle the higher voltage. And what about earthing?

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Re: Motor rewire on TD166MKII

Post by tlscapital » 17 Nov 2019 21:01

So you are saying that the 110/220 volts Thorens motor you were given spins quieter than your original TD166 original 16 volts one. Is that it ? If so this could be due to faulty capacitors. Cheap and easy to replace.

As for converting a 16 volts motor into a 110/220 volts; no ! Either swap the 16 volts motor from your TD166 with the 110/220 volts one with matching capacitors or easier try first to replace the 16 volts motor's capacitors.

Turnbacktime

Post by Turnbacktime » 18 Nov 2019 15:21

Just spinning it by hand it feels smoother and quieter, and spins for longer. Also I am pretty sure my 16V motor has a very slightly bent spindle.
I didn’t mean converting the motor itself rather swapping it out for the mains voltage one and rewiring accordingly with correct resistor and capacitors. Two concerns; will the on/off switch fittedto my deck handle mains OK, was trying to see if anyone knew what it might be rated at without stripping my deck for a look, and whether to take the earth from the new mains lead to the chassis. Or should I rely on the ground wire connected to the preamp.

medwaybeat

Post by medwaybeat » 19 Nov 2019 08:54

Do not earth the mains lead to the chassis.
The switch should have its rating printed (it does on both my 150 and 160) so pop the bottom off and have a look.
The service manual is in library might be an idea to have a read of that before doing anything else.
Good luck

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 19 Nov 2019 09:10

A bent shaft spindle can be cured most of the time. Lay a pencil on the chassis and while it turns, bring the pencil close to the pulley and where it leaves no mark, tap it gently. Repeat until the pencil leaves a continuous line marking.

It could also be dry motor bearing symptom. Never hurts to drip a drop motor oil on both top and bottom end of the motor's bearing with a lengthy spinning of the motor after to allow the bearing to slowly "swallow" the oil inside.

Swapping the motor's capacitors and resistor is all that you need. I did just that after smoking the over complex PCB of my 160 'E' Thorens, a rare cross breed of a 'Super' and a TD146, that was running at 16 volts with a wall wart PSU.

With no performance gain at stakes but only manufacturing convenance, I converted to mains power for a quick and simple fix. Fitted with a fully manual SME3009 tonearm I could live without the TP16 tonearm auto-return mechanism.

So I sold on the big 'smoked' PCB and the 16 volts motor to fund the purchase of the mains motor and a small tidy PCB. Since I used the the switch that came with this mains motor, I can't really say if it could be an issue for you.

Yet I doubt it should cause any damage if ever. The issue couldn't be with the 0.47uF switch spark resistor I believe but I can't say better for not knowing better... Someone else should know. Indeed the service manual should help.