Thorens td 145 mkII with tp16 mk2

music box
babadockia

Thorens td 145 mkII with tp16 mk2

Post by babadockia » 12 Nov 2019 16:07

Well, please, how would I set up the counter weight on the forementioned tonearm when I have a plastic thingy that hinders the knurled screw to fix the CW to the tonearm? With the black plastic the CW won't slide on the tonearm, without it, the screw won't grasp the tonearm. Thank you in advance
20191112_164944.jpg
(73.25 KiB) Downloaded 83 times

StephDale
Great Britain

Re: Thorens td 145 mkII with tp16 mk2

Post by StephDale » 12 Nov 2019 18:35

It's a fairly simple mechanism, so try this:

1. Undo the finger screw the whole way and take it out.
2. Collapse the sleeve into the counter weight - it has two pegs. One peg goes in the screw hole, the other fits into the inside of the counterweight, which you'll find if you gently expand the sleeve with light finger pressure. You'll probably hear a click, which is good.
3. Insert the finger screw and tighten it so it just engages.
4. Gently holding the sleeve open you'll then be able to slip the whole assembly on the tonearm. Convention dictates that the screw goes to the right of the counterweight when looking from the front.
5. Position the counterweight and tighten the screw.

Steph

babadockia

Post by babadockia » 12 Nov 2019 23:06

StephDale wrote:
12 Nov 2019 18:35
It's a fairly simple mechanism, so try this:

1. Undo the finger screw the whole way and take it out.
2. Collapse the sleeve into the counter weight - it has two pegs. One peg goes in the screw hole, the other fits into the inside of the counterweight, which you'll find if you gently expand the sleeve with light finger pressure. You'll probably hear a click, which is good.
3. Insert the finger screw and tighten it so it just engages.
4. Gently holding the sleeve open you'll then be able to slip the whole assembly on the tonearm. Convention dictates that the screw goes to the right of the counterweight when looking from the front.
5. Position the counterweight and tighten the screw.

Steph

Thank you. Got that, but now I have another problem:
Everything cleaned, degreased and put a dab of oil, a whole original new belt but the speed is too fast. 33,6 on an app and even on the strobe disc is fast. I am lost now. I had her going but then, boom!

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 13 Nov 2019 09:10

33,6 RPM seems pretty good to me. None of my belt drive Thorens run at a perfect 33.33 RPM.
Plus you have to measure the speed with the stylus down on a record playing and with a laser tachymeter if you want real accuracy.
Note that the belt thickness may affect the speed, so you may have different results depending of the belt you have put on your table.
Often, the old original belts don't need to be replaced, a good cleaning with alcohol and they go for a new ride.

babadockia

Post by babadockia » 13 Nov 2019 12:07

bernard1 wrote:
13 Nov 2019 09:10
33,6 RPM seems pretty good to me. None of my belt drive Thorens run at a perfect 33.33 RPM.
Plus you have to measure the speed with the stylus down on a record playing and with a laser tachymeter if you want real accuracy.
Note that the belt thickness may affect the speed, so you may have different results depending of the belt you have put on your table.
Often, the old original belts don't need to be replaced, a good cleaning with alcohol and they go for a new ride.
all due respect but 33,6 is awfully too much. 0,3% is way over the acceptable. sorry

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 13 Nov 2019 15:42

If you want a perfect 33.33 you'll have to use an external power supply.
In a april of this year thread, Alec had a solution :
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=111315#p968328

StephDale
Great Britain

Post by StephDale » 13 Nov 2019 20:30

A few quick thoughts, to get you on your way; I've got a hectic evening!:
1. The speed of the table may well slow when it's playing a record due to stylus drag. Most apps (mobile phone?) won't actually be able to measure to the accuracy you're seeking.
2. I use a Project Speedbox SE with my tables that have simple AC drives, like the TD145. After testing with proper test tone records and something like the Dr Feickert application, I've never felt the need to use anything other than the 33.3 setting with any of the Thorens tables.
3. If you're really worried about the speed, try wrapping some thin tape around the inner platter, that will slow it down a little.
4. In general, due to psycho-acoustic effects, being a little too fast is better than being a little too slow!

Steph