If you own a TD124 is it your most often used table?

music box
Post Reply
62vauxhall
senior member
senior member
Posts: 687
Joined: 22 May 2008 19:57
Location: Surrey, BC

If you own a TD124 is it your most often used table?

Post by 62vauxhall » 04 Nov 2019 16:33

I’m posting with some trepidation.

Firstly, I am assuming those with TD124’s own other turntables as I do. My TD124 is a II and fairly recently acquired. It is also my first Thorens in the 50 or years I’ve owned turntables.

I will admit freely that it is the best sounding of those in my possession but frequently, I use another because of fully automatic functions.

All of my turntables sound good to me and I could be quite happy being relegated to only one of them.

It’s starting to feel like I use the TD124 for “special occasions” but for day to day listening, it’s too convenient to just stick on a record, push a start button (or flick a lever) and walk away.

Anyone else here have a similar habit? Or does superior performance guarantee most frequent use?

StephDale
senior member
senior member
Great Britain
Posts: 691
Joined: 10 Feb 2004 10:22
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: If you own a TD124 is it your most often used table?

Post by StephDale » 04 Nov 2019 21:47

You've raised an interesting point! Although I don't own a '124, I do have one of the 'big' Thorens tables - a 521. I also have a number of other turntables, including a couple that aren't Thorens. My hifi rack has space for two 'tables. The second one up at the moment is a TD2001RDC, itself no slouch.

Until relatively recently I did keep the 521 for special occasions, but eventually gave up trying to work out what occasions were 'special' enough to fire up the big 'table. After a recent arm swap and cartridge rebuild I realised it's entirely sustainable as a main player (as your very over-engineered '124 is) and so my choice of player is now made according to the material I want to play and the choice of cartridge; the good stuff goes on the 521 while that which is new in, uncleaned or unknown goes on the second player.

Of course, I don't have the convenience of full automatic; I've even disabled the end of side shut off in the '2001, although it's reversible and can be adjusted back into use if I change my mind. If I want convenience I stick on a CD or even stream something (eek - horrors!).

After all, what's the point in having a classic, reliable and enjoyable turntable if you're not going to enjoy it regularly? Well, that's my view: It took me a long time to find a '521, restore it and get it really singing, so I'm definitely going to use it at every opportunity.

Steph

user510
senior member
senior member
Posts: 500
Joined: 02 Dec 2003 19:36
Location: Raymond, Wa. USA
Contact:

Re: If you own a TD124 is it your most often used table?

Post by user510 » 05 Nov 2019 03:15

62vauxhall wrote:
04 Nov 2019 16:33
I’m posting with some trepidation.

Firstly, I am assuming those with TD124’s own other turntables as I do. My TD124 is a II and fairly recently acquired. It is also my first Thorens in the 50 or years I’ve owned turntables.

I will admit freely that it is the best sounding of those in my possession but frequently, I use another because of fully automatic functions.

All of my turntables sound good to me and I could be quite happy being relegated to only one of them.

It’s starting to feel like I use the TD124 for “special occasions” but for day to day listening, it’s too convenient to just stick on a record, push a start button (or flick a lever) and walk away.

Anyone else here have a similar habit? Or does superior performance guarantee most frequent use?
Individual preference always prevails. At some point we have to ask ourselves "why do we listen to records in the first place?"... and for myself the answer is -- "for a variety of uses". Mainly I listen to records because I want to immerse myself into the atmosphere of the music. For that purpose, the rig that produces the best sound is always the preferred machine.

At other times I just want to have some music going on in the background while I focus on other tasks. For that I may not choose a record, but put in a CD instead. It's a more convenient medium and many of those can sound quite good anyway. I don't have to worry about picking up the stylus at end of play but can just forget about the player and focus on what I need to until I finally do notice that the CD has stopped playing.

With regards to record players with automatic and semi-automatic features I can certainly see the convenience. But long ago I made a deliberate choice to go with manual players because it was regarded by reviewers and enthusiasts alike to be a more purist approach for serious listeners. And of course we all regard ourselves as serious listeners don't we... :lol: So I just got into that end of the pool, so to speak. Yes, you do have to get up and change the record when it stops but what are we, a bunch of lazy wimps...! Oh...well, yes, I am a lazy wimp but you know it's just an imaginative perspective. The purist approach. Whatever.

And I do tell myself, when considering the cost of all this gear, that I could easily enjoy this music as it is played with a different player, or using a different tonearm, or a different cartridge....but they all do impart a particular quality to the playback so we go with what we must, I guess.

The Td124 in comparison to other players I've had -- and still have -- does impart a fair amount of visceral impact to the rhythmic thust of it all and for that I do appreciate it. And it is fairly effective with classical music and jazz and, well everything else. But you know it has its particular strengths that other players don't quite have. And they might have strengths that --it-- doesn't quite have. So it goes.

I suppose one just needs to decide for him/her self about the gear we keep and the gear we sell. Sometimes I regret selling that Teres 145 I had. It had some fairly serious attributes as well. And that Technics SP10 mkII was seriously good at everything. Perhaps just a tad, slightly less I mean, slam but it had considerable slam and really excelled in getting the last bit of detail out of a record. You know, that detail that comes with having precise speed control. I saw it as articulation of the finer details where it really dug out that last bit of inner content that other players just don't. And it's gone too.

In the wings I've got a TD126-III waiting for a re-furb. I've listened to it enough to get a taste of its potential and can see that it would be very good on some of the music I like but with perhaps a tad less slam than the Td124. But once you get adjusted to the vibes of a certain player, one might forget about the one we just sold. So I really don't miss that Teres. Not at all. No. I'm good. :roll:

Oh and yes, the TD124 is my current go-to Lp spinner. I was comfortable selling both the Teres and the SP10 mk2 knowing that I wasn't going to suffer. The TD124 is quite good.

-Steve

62vauxhall
senior member
senior member
Posts: 687
Joined: 22 May 2008 19:57
Location: Surrey, BC

Re: If you own a TD124 is it your most often used table?

Post by 62vauxhall » 05 Nov 2019 19:10

Those were very eloquent responses. For lack of a better term, they are both somewhat comforting. I anticipated condemnation for not abandoning all that came before it and use a TD124 exclusively.

I have always been attracted to turntables, changers mostly, from a certain era. Presumably because of being well regarded devices, that can be restored to full operational condition. To do what they did decades ago. Operating them pleases me somehow. And there is some fear that without “exercise” atrophy will afflict them again.

But, as mentioned, fully automatic record playback suits me better most of the time. My habits evolved to where I spend little time plunked in a living room chair specifically to listen to music. It’s kind of ironic because of late, I’ve surrounded myself with a bunch of the gear needed to do exactly that.

If things go as I’d like them to, my situation in the near future will change. I have an opportunity to move from an urban area to a rural one. It will be a complex process for me but I envision an outcome whereby life slows down a bit. I’d like the opportunity of spending my time on the listening end of this hobby rather than the acquisition and repair.

Just wish there was a job waiting for me at that end.

user510
senior member
senior member
Posts: 500
Joined: 02 Dec 2003 19:36
Location: Raymond, Wa. USA
Contact:

Re: If you own a TD124 is it your most often used table?

Post by user510 » 06 Nov 2019 05:06

StephDale wrote:
04 Nov 2019 21:47
You've raised an interesting point! Although I don't own a '124, I do have one of the 'big' Thorens tables - a 521. I also have a number of other turntables, including a couple that aren't Thorens. My hifi rack has space for two 'tables. The second one up at the moment is a TD2001RDC, itself no slouch.

Until relatively recently I did keep the 521 for special occasions, but eventually gave up trying to work out what occasions were 'special' enough to fire up the big 'table. After a recent arm swap and cartridge rebuild I realised it's entirely sustainable as a main player (as your very over-engineered '124 is) and so my choice of player is now made according to the material I want to play and the choice of cartridge; the good stuff goes on the 521 while that which is new in, uncleaned or unknown goes on the second player.

Of course, I don't have the convenience of full automatic; I've even disabled the end of side shut off in the '2001, although it's reversible and can be adjusted back into use if I change my mind. If I want convenience I stick on a CD or even stream something (eek - horrors!).

After all, what's the point in having a classic, reliable and enjoyable turntable if you're not going to enjoy it regularly? Well, that's my view: It took me a long time to find a '521, restore it and get it really singing, so I'm definitely going to use it at every opportunity.

Steph
You note a TD2001 (RDC). I presume that is a TD2001 with the Acrylic RDC platter from Clearlight Audio. This is one of the Thorens models that are scarce in NA. And that, of course, intrigues me. Also, I've got a thing for the Thorens ambiance, which is next to unobtanium over here.
-Steve

StephDale
senior member
senior member
Great Britain
Posts: 691
Joined: 10 Feb 2004 10:22
Location: Bristol, UK

Re: If you own a TD124 is it your most often used table?

Post by StephDale » 06 Nov 2019 18:34

Hi Steve,

As you probably know, Clearlight Audio produced a whole load of RDC bits for various Thorens turntables. This TD2001 has the works from the factory, with the following RDC bits; platter, headshell, baseboard, tonearm collar and strengthened/widia bearing. It also has a machined inner platter, so it's much closer in spec to the Ambiance you mention than a 'stock' TD2001. Well, apart from the wonderful TP90 tonearm; mine was very poorly when it arrived and has now been rewired (AudioNote silver) and carefully set up. On the whole it's a wonderful turntable, if not quite in the same league as the slightly hot-rodded TD521. I'll post a photo or two later this evening.

I've only ever seen one Ambiance (in a shop in Paris probably ten years ago), and it remains an aspirational turntable for me. Mind you, so is the Phonosophie No3 (I have a No2), which has the same heritage...

Steph

user510
senior member
senior member
Posts: 500
Joined: 02 Dec 2003 19:36
Location: Raymond, Wa. USA
Contact:

Re: If you own a TD124 is it your most often used table?

Post by user510 » 06 Nov 2019 23:25

StephDale wrote:
06 Nov 2019 18:34
Hi Steve,

As you probably know, Clearlight Audio produced a whole load of RDC bits for various Thorens turntables. This TD2001 has the works from the factory, with the following RDC bits; platter, headshell, baseboard, tonearm collar and strengthened/widia bearing. It also has a machined inner platter, so it's much closer in spec to the Ambiance you mention than a 'stock' TD2001. Well, apart from the wonderful TP90 tonearm; mine was very poorly when it arrived and has now been rewired (AudioNote silver) and carefully set up. On the whole it's a wonderful turntable, if not quite in the same league as the slightly hot-rodded TD521. I'll post a photo or two later this evening.

I've only ever seen one Ambiance (in a shop in Paris probably ten years ago), and it remains an aspirational turntable for me. Mind you, so is the Phonosophie No3 (I have a No2), which has the same heritage...

Steph
thanks for that reply. It is really interesting that there are at least two commercial interests that hot-rod various Thorens models. The phonosophie No2 I am aware of. The No3 I need to check out. I know of one No.2 owner stateside. He used to hang out at Audio Asylum. He's really a hard core Linnie and so one isn't surprised when we read how he confidently rates his Lp12 as the go-to rig in his stable. I think he was using a Naim ARO tonearm on the Phonosophie No.2. And then I believe I remember that his Linn had the higher end Linn arm. But, any way you look at it, the Phonosophie was good enough to get past part of the personal bias and gain entrance into a confirmed hard core Linnie's listening room. That's a fairly positive credential, I'd think.

Back around 2002 I recall seeing that Clearlight-Audio RDC Thorens platter selling in the USA for $300 usd. Very briefly. And then there were none. I've no idea how superior one of those would be to the standard zinc platter , but I do assume that, at the least, it doesn't ring when you thump it.

-Steve

syzygy
member
member
United States of America
Posts: 44
Joined: 10 Jun 2009 05:03
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: If you own a TD124 is it your most often used table?

Post by syzygy » 16 Nov 2019 12:12

I really like the clutch feature on the 124 that stops the upper platter and makes flipping/changing records more convenient. Of course, when restored, its a lovely sounding tt. In fact, I’ve acquired a second 124 to replace a Rega in my living room setup.

Post Reply