New owner/member

music box
sausagecreature
Great Britain

New owner/member

Post by sausagecreature » 11 Oct 2019 21:16

Hello everyone,
Just a quick post to say "Hi" and that I am excited having just won an auction on a TD321.

Like many folks, I had a dilemma over a new pro-ject deck or basic Rega. However, there is something far more enchanting about a Thoren's than a Pro-ject.

So now after the auction I have a new set of nerves about it all being ok, getting it home, getting it set up and so on.

Anyway, hopefully it will be the start of a new and happy phase in my listening.

Thanks to VE for the manuals I have downloaded and great to find a resource and a community with other Thoren's fans. I've read quite a few useful posts already :)

Mark

lenjack
long player
long player

Re: New owner/member

Post by lenjack » 11 Oct 2019 23:51

and a very warm welcome to you. :D :) 8) :wink: =D>

sausagecreature
Great Britain

Post by sausagecreature » 12 Oct 2019 16:34

Thanks LenJack.

To follow up: I am now home with the new deck and very much enjoying the experience. I'm not sure quite how I should explain this, but on Roxy Music I am really hearing a cadence to the drum beats that I had forgotten. I have played in a band, and go to gigs, so I know what real drums sound like, and now my home stereo is giving the same effect....rather than a dead-pan snap-bang of a drum from a CD there now seem to be "dimensions" to the sound, reverb? Decay? Fade? Anyway, they sound like drums and not a flat bang with no character.

Really quite over the moon with this, and I did not realise until just now, how much CDs have sanitised the sounds into something with far less character.

End result : Complete convert.

StephDale
Great Britain

Post by StephDale » 12 Oct 2019 16:45

Hi Mark,

Your description of the '321 allies well with my experiences too. What arm and cartridge has yours got?

Steph

lenjack
long player
long player

Post by lenjack » 12 Oct 2019 20:17

CD's really should not sound worse, unless there's something wrong with the cd player, or the amp, given the identical (and identically mastered) recording. Can't compare apples and oranges.

user510

Post by user510 » 13 Oct 2019 18:45

Welcome to the club. The Thorens is a good choice for a long lasting player. I saw your photo in the top link and replied to it. Sorry if I seemed somewhat negative. The setup can be refined over time as you gain experience with it. The photo and text of that reply tells us you have a TD321 with Linn Basik tonearm. Group experience suggests that that arm works well on many different Thorens decks (not to mention Linn players). So you should have a good player on your hands. Over time you can try different cartridges to suit your personal taste.

If in the early going you already prefer the sounds of your turntable to comparable CD's that is a good indicator. In some setups it takes a little tuning to get the vinyl rig sounding as good as the digital rig. But once the right combination in the signal chain is established, there is no looking back, really. Analog gets it good and proper.

Personally I've owned a few Thorens players over the years. It started with my TD160C that I bought new in 1975. I never put that one away. It was always on the audio rack. The records were always in the room. But I did acquire many CD's from around 1985 up until 1995. It was around that time when I started listening to vinyl again but with insight from reading Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. Then the bug infected me and my interest in record players got deeper.

From there I've owned a few different TD150's, a few TD124 players, another TD160 and then there was that Teres 145. (a very different player) All in all it has been a pleasant journey with the payback always being the same...: you get to listen to music when it's all done.

-Steve

sausagecreature
Great Britain

Post by sausagecreature » 14 Oct 2019 08:47

Thanks Stephdale, I've Linn Basik Plus, with a Shure ML140HE. So far so good.

Hi Lenjack, thanks for the input. CD player is fine. I was a little overwhelmed at how much more detail comes through from the TT. Basically, to my musician's ear, there are some instruments which I can now hear all the nuances that the instrument would make in a studio setting, rather than a digital reproduction of that instrument.

Hi 510, sorry for the late reply, I did read your comments on the other thread, but only just replied. It has been that kind of weekend. You are spot on with the identification of the set up. Whilst I have read some negativity towards the Linn Basik, I dont know if that extends to the Basik Plus, but regardless this is a step up from any TT I have had myself. A friend came over with his Pro-ject a few years back, and we did a CD to LP comparison and the Pro-ject won hands down. It wasn't quite the cheapest Pro-ject, but was one of their more entry levels. The TD321 seems to provide a lot more detail than I remember from the Pro-ject, so regardless of any negativity towards the Linn entry level arm, I am still very happy. I suspect that those who have written negative comments about the Basik Plus are people who have higher standards than my own. It is however, reassuring to read your comments on the arm, so that is pleasing, thanks. I didn't take any negativity from your comments alongside the photo, I actually was grateful and felt a little daft at overlooking such things, so once again, thanks I appreciate the helpful input.

Just had to gogole "Teres 145". Wow, now that is a thing!

MY TT history:
I remember being about 13 years old and my father being very excited about a colleague who was selling his deck, if memory serves me right it was a Garrard 401 with SME and a nice cartridge. He wanted £45 for it and dad knew I was in the market for a deck. The TT had been re-housed in a giant teak plinth that contained two, yes, two garden slabs! Dad brought it home, and we carried it upstairs together, set it up in my bedroom and marvelled at the sound. This was mid 80s, and HiFi was all black, shiny, lots of lights, and linear tracking decks. I could not reconcile my need for LEDs and shiny black HiFi to this monstrously large teak creation. I turned it down, and ended up with a Technics SL BD2. I moved to CD around 1987 with a Phillips CD104, a unit I loved dearly. I was wowed by the clarity, punchiness and lack of static and didn't really look back until the friend arrived one evening with his Pro-ject deck and I have been looking since for a TT.

Before all of this Dad had a Thorens until 1981, and I think it was TD150 (maybe a 160), which is now at my Aunts house and not really in any use at all. Both my cousin and I have had our minds on this deck for a few years, but Aunty is not happy that we are eyeing up her possessions at all. So, time to move on. I had considered a few other decks, Systemdek IIx, cheaper Linn decks I was keeping an eye on. However, the TD321 seemed the best option (condition) to come up in my budget. I'm looking for a new cabinet to home it, and will rehome it as soon as I can.

My over-ridding emotion at this early stage is one of happiness. I feel like I have rediscovered something in music that I have missed for a long time

user510

Post by user510 » 14 Oct 2019 20:47

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/shure/ml140he.shtml
BTW, the cartridge database here at VE provides useful info on the cartridge you list. See link above.
Not a well known Shure, but definitely interesting.

-Steve

sausagecreature
Great Britain

Post by sausagecreature » 16 Oct 2019 17:18

Hey 510, wow that is quite a read. Thanks for the heads up on that.

All that thought, design and technology that goes into a stylus. Then today I see a picture on MSN of someone playing a record with a new £5 note! [-X

Gromushka
Israel

Post by Gromushka » 04 Nov 2019 20:11

From yesterday have td 166

sausagecreature
Great Britain

Post by sausagecreature » 05 Nov 2019 08:53

Happy days Gromushka! Congratulations. Do tell us more about it ?

Gromushka
Israel

Post by Gromushka » 07 Nov 2019 05:59

sausagecreature wrote:
05 Nov 2019 08:53
Happy days Gromushka! Congratulations. Do tell us more about it ?
Thank you.
Device has a very good state for his 45 years old. I have to go modify it. From start point will change electric lines for audio and AC power. Will clean all of needed parts and may change the needed components like springs, if needed.

I'm going to make for him new plate from red wood (eucalyptus) that should be massive and will look much good.
This is start point.
After this first step I'm looking to change tonearm to put some new and best instead original.

Gromushka
Israel

Post by Gromushka » 07 Nov 2019 20:36

My Thorens from inside looks more younger vs outside.

https://ic.pics.livejournal.com/audio_m ... 91_900.jpg