Thorens BTD 12S no signal on one channel

music box
postman56

Thorens BTD 12S no signal on one channel

Post by postman56 » 04 Oct 2019 16:32

I purchased a vintage Thorens TD124 and it came with the Thorens BTD 12S tone arm, and for the life of me I can't seem to get the left channel to pass audio . With a multi test meter, I see audio on the RCA tips in the one channel, and I see it on both channels of the cart head before and after the headshell.
It's seem improbably that there is a break in the cable inside the light weight tone arm, is there some connectors under the bearing cover possibly! If there is something that could repair this, I'd appreciate gearing from you as well.
Much Appreciated

zwarte-romantiek

Re: Thorens BTD 12S no signal on one channel

Post by zwarte-romantiek » 04 Oct 2019 17:18

Hi,

Some pictures would help. Furthermore there are no connectors under the bearing cover.

Greeting,

Niels

postman56

Post by postman56 » 04 Oct 2019 19:00

Hi Niels, what photos would help in determining ?

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 07 Oct 2019 02:15

Hi postman56, did you ever figure out what was going on with this tonearm? From my experience with Thorens tonearms the usual culprits are the female socket connectors inside the end of the tonearm. Over the years the plastic part that surrounds the female socket connectors cracks and the socket connectors get pushed in so the head shell never makes contact with them. The easiest way to check for continuity from the head shell to the rca cable ends is to remove the tonearm wires from the back of the cartridge. Then with the head shell attached to the tonearm use the DVM to check each wire to the rca ends. That will tell you if the female socket connectors and the tonearms wires are good along with the rca cables and ends. Another area that can cause issues are the RCA cable ends them selves the platting on the ends get very corroded over the years. On every Thorens turntable I work on I just replace the rca ends with gold platted ends. After I cut the old ends off I strip back the coating to expose bear wire and check for continuity with my DVM and it's usually good. I then solder on the new ends and check continuity again. Doing this just make things easier and I'm not chasing hum or lost channel issues. Now if you find that the plastic female socket holder in the end of the tonearm is cracked. Then you can do two things one is to disassemble the tonearm and try to repair the socket ( i've never had good luck doing that) or rewire the tonearm so the wires go directly to the pins on the back of the cartridge. This is something I have done on a couple of occasions and it works but it also make it impossible to swap out cartridges easily. I hope something here helps.