Thorens 150 mk2 & Goldring elektra

music box
barryme
Ireland

Thorens 150 mk2 & Goldring elektra

Post by barryme » 01 Oct 2019 09:53

Hi, I have bought a Thorens TD 150 mk 2. It seems to be in full working order. The cartridge is a AT 95E. I want to replace it. I am thinking of a Goldring elektra. The price is good and the reviews are positive. Anyone here have any experience with this cartridge in general or this cartridge in combination with a Thorens?
Many posts recommend a Denon 110, but the price is about 250 euro in comparison to the Goldring elektra´s 90 euro. The general consensus is stay away form Grado with the Thorens 150.
Also, when I touch the headshell, or when my fingers come close to the headshell, there is a buzzing noise. Is this normal with the Thorens? Will it go away as problem with a new headshell?

I currently have a Technics 5300 with a Nagaoka MP 110 and it sounds great. Will a Thorens 150 MK 2 with a Goldring Elektra sound better than that when set up correctly? Any advice appreciated. I have been reading various posts for days and days and don´t want to be disappointed. Thanks

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Re: Thorens 150 mk2 & Goldring elektra

Post by tlscapital » 01 Oct 2019 13:10

First your 'ground loop' issue when approach by human hand :shock: can you check if your tonearm ground wire is still 'intact' ?

Then are the cartridge wires all fine and still solidly attached ? Finally is your (pre) amp power plug grounded to the mains ?

The Goldring carts 'hum' issue is due to the fact that these carts are not shielded and will pick up motor noise frequencies.

Coming from the SL-1200 & Co. firm for more than 2 decades, I was once lend a TD160 some 8 years ago and fell for it.

Sonic signatures are very different. The differences are mainly; speed accuracy and constancy are better with the Technics.

Although in comparison many (I included) tend to find the Techie 'over dampened' some and love the 'airy' Thorens belt drive.

Finally those Thorens are much more evolutive friendly, both cosmetically as in performance, if you're into tweaking that is...

barryme
Ireland

Re: Thorens 150 mk2 & Goldring elektra

Post by barryme » 01 Oct 2019 15:41

Thanks,the cartridge wires are still solidly attached. That I have checked. (And it is on the original TP 13A tonearm and headshell). I have also cleaned the cartridge heads with rubbing alcohol. They weren´t dirty, but worth a try.
The tonearm ground wire is going through the left phono connector. I am pretty sure these phono connectors were changed as they are in pretty good condition. I honestly don´t know how to check if the ground wire is in order. On my Technics it is a standard ground wire that I connect to the amp. Where can you check the Thorens ground wire when it is located within the phono lead?
The amp power plug should be fine because when I use my existing turntable there is perfect silence. My CD player is also perfectly silent. I am using an Audiolab 8000a series B.
The Cartridge I have on the Thorens is an AT 95e. I want to buy a Goldring Elektra. If you say that it is not shielded, then maybe it is a bad choice. Do you or anyone else have a better choice for the Thorens TD 150 mk2? I see the Denon 110 a lot being mentioned, but quite honestly it is 240 euros as of 2019, which is a bit over the top (I think). Any suggestions in the range of 100-150 dollars/euros? The Shure 97xe is also mentioned, but I have read some pretty disappointing reviews about that cartridge. It also seems that the Grados are not shielded and not recommended for the Thorens 150. So, I am a bit worried about making the wrong choice of cartridge for this turntable. My Technics and Nagaoka 110 sound great, but I would like to hear something else, but that sounds equally as good. Any suggestions. Thanks.