TP 11 MkIII

music box
Landolaman1
Great Britain

TP 11 MkIII

Post by Landolaman1 » 30 Sep 2019 20:44

I am the owner of my first Thorens TT a TD 166 MkII. While i am quite impressed by the TT i am seriously underwhelmed by the complex tonearm, especially given the price of spare wands and the very real possibility of damaging the delicate thread on the cartridge mount. I'm never satisfied having only one cartridge in use. With this in mind i decided to attempt to "Mod" a wand with a more user friendly and easily interchangeable headshell. I have worked out all necessary measurements,angles etc and am very close to producing a wand butchered from a scrap pioneer PL120 tonearm. Luckily i have five or six of the headshells hanging around. Another bonus is that the mass will be increased from the current 7.5 to 12.0. I'll shortly be visiting a friends machine shop to make the necessary connector and hopefully will be able to "Road test" by the weekend. I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully upload a few photos but i do struggle with uploading photos so if there is anyone that can give me an idiots guide i'd be grateful.
Regards, Neil.

vanakaru

Re: TP 11 MkIII

Post by vanakaru » 30 Sep 2019 21:34

Make your photos longer side 1200px. If using photoshop export/save for web jpg. Good photo for web should be under 1meg sise - more like few 100 kb.
Posting here go to Full Editor, find Attachement tab and click Add files. After it gets uploaded click Place inline but choose the spot in the text(like not in the middle of the sentence) where it should appear.

Landolaman1
Great Britain

Re: TP 11 MkIII

Post by Landolaman1 » 13 Oct 2019 17:46

P1070059.JPG
(127.88 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
P1070060.JPG
(102.3 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
P1070061.JPG
(107.67 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
P1070062.JPG
(123 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
P1070063.JPG
(112.16 KiB) Downloaded 28 times

Well finally got my "Upgraded" TP 11 Mk III tonearm up and running. Somehow i found the stock tonearm restrictive and somewhat silly to be honest. After a bit of trial and error i managed, with the help of a good friend and machinist, to make the parts needed to adapt the "Butchered" Pioneer tonearm, with removable headshell, to fit the Thorens arm. I wanted the option of using different cartridges without having to purchase a Thorens TP 11 Mk III wand which are pretty elusive and sell for silly money! It was a job not for the faint-hearted but after some blood, sweat and tears i got the result i wanted. I think it looks pretty cool too. Would i do it again? Hell no!!
Regards, Neil.