Thorens TD-125 MKII Upgrade Path

music box
Prok

Thorens TD-125 MKII Upgrade Path

Post by Prok » 25 Sep 2019 16:10

Hello,

I am hoping that I might be able to get some help from some of the members on this board. I have found some great information and help on this site over the last few years.

I currently have a Thorens TD-125 MKII with SME 3009 S2 Improved tonearm and Stantec 681EEE cartridge. I have had this table for ~ 5 years. It was previously my dads which he bought new. The table is in excellent condition and runs very smoothly. The motor is dead quiet, the platter bearing runs very smoothly, it holds its speed, and overall in good condition cosmetically. Overall I believe I am very lucky to have an original in such good condition.

For the last few years I have been wanting to do some upgrades, and have now decided to start. I just recently sent my arm off to SMEtonearms.com to get rewired and plan on upgrading the cartridge to a Shure V15 III w/ Jico SAS stylus. I purchased a new top plate cover and armboard. I plan on building a new plinth this weekend and using IsoAcoustics Gaia 3 feet. As well, I plan on performing the overhauls as detailed in the Overhaul Guide by Joel Boutreux and an overall cleanup of the internals.

The question I have for everyone and where I feel to be in a bit of a dilemma is if I should consider any other upgrades. I have considered adding an IEC insert (furutech) and replacing the two 1000mf capacitors. Since the table is running so well already, are these necessary? Will I gain any improvements? Can anyone recommend any other upgrades that I may have missed.

Thanks everyone for your help

jorgestevesilva
Portugal

Re: Thorens TD-125 MKII Upgrade Path

Post by jorgestevesilva » 09 Oct 2019 00:43

Hello,

I have a td-125 too with sme 3009 II, and I upgraded the cartridge for the Lyra Delos with a heavy head shell arché and it sound wonderful. Lately I realize that the turntable is unstable spins, and I was wondering if I switch o linear power unit directly link to the circuit of the motor can stabilize the platter.
My question is about that capacitors is from the motor circuit or the power?
In my opinion we should replace that capacitors, because over the time and use they work worth, they lost the isolation proprieties, mainly the electrolytic.

Best
Jorge