Motor lubrication

music box
Landolaman1
Great Britain

Motor lubrication

Post by Landolaman1 » 15 Sep 2019 12:48

Just wondering if there are any lubrication points, or if there is any need, to lubricate the motor on a Thorens TD 166 Mk II. Thanks, Neil.

StephDale
Great Britain

Re: Motor lubrication

Post by StephDale » 15 Sep 2019 14:57

Neil,

Yes, it's worth putting a small drop of a decent oil on both the top and bottom bearings of the motor. The problem is that there's a little disassembly required to reach them both...

To reach the top one you may have to remove the pulley, but I recall that you can in fact pass the tube of a fine oiler* under the pulley. The bottom one will probably mean removing the base of the turntable, although I have seen the odd base-board with a hole under the motor.

Steph

*the sort of thing a watchmaker would use. As an eaxmple, a search for 'watch oiler pen' got me here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Watch-Pre ... SwWflaIl5h

Landolaman1
Great Britain

Re: Motor lubrication

Post by Landolaman1 » 15 Sep 2019 15:42

StephDale wrote:
15 Sep 2019 14:57
Neil,

Yes, it's worth putting a small drop of a decent oil on both the top and bottom bearings of the motor. The problem is that there's a little disassembly required to reach them both...

To reach the top one you may have to remove the pulley, but I recall that you can in fact pass the tube of a fine oiler* under the pulley. The bottom one will probably mean removing the base of the turntable, although I have seen the odd base-board with a hole under the motor.

Steph

*the sort of thing a watchmaker would use. As an eaxmple, a search for 'watch oiler pen' got me here: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-Watch-Pre ... SwWflaIl5h
Hi Steph, thanks for your reply. Having a good look at the motor and think there may be a chance to "Drop" it through the base plate as it's only held by what appears to be two screws and one post type screw in fixing. Don't think there will be any need to take off the pulley as it should fit through the base plate hole. Will know more when i take off the base board. The precision syringe oiler seems to be a good investment and that's already on order!
Regards, Neil.