TD-160 MK 1 tonearm change, comments needed

music box
jaakkoja

TD-160 MK 1 tonearm change, comments needed

Post by jaakkoja » 13 Sep 2019 16:30

Hi

I have project around MK1 taken out from old Salora 2001 stereo system. As you might notice plinth is from MK2 (perhaps) and bottom has been made out of 30mm Sikablock m960 tooling board that has density of 1.2g/cm3 vs. MDF 0.8g/cm3.
Currently total weight is 9.6kg without dampening material to subframe and chassis.

One idea came into mind that is there sense or possibility to swap tonearm from TP to Pro-ject Debut III (not carbon) arm. I have Debut TT lying in warehouse and thought are tonearm dimensions such that would fit to TD160 and is it worth of effort at the end?

Current cartridge is OM10, and perhaps new tonearm could give more possibilities of cartridges due different style headshell.

Just asking comments before starting to mill armplate and dismantling Debut.

Regards Jaakko
Attachments
IMG_1271.JPG
(228.64 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

markcass
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: TD-160 MK 1 tonearm change, comments needed

Post by markcass » 13 Sep 2019 19:12

Hi

I don't believe the arm from a Pro-ject Debut would be an improvement on the Thorens arm, except perhaps in the matter of effective mass (which should be a bit lower). The Debut arm was never intended for such a purpose, of course; it's a fixed element on a budget turntable. It's also shorter than the standard arm you already have IIRC, and the mounting base doesn't allow the arm height to be changed to match different cartridges, so you'd have to customise it to provide that facility. In short, I think this change would be a severe downgrade from the well-engineered Thorens original! BTW, it's not too difficult to modify the Thorens headshell to accept cartridges that have to be bolted in from above.

You'd obviously also lose any resale value the Debut might have if you dismantled it.

The classic arm upgrade for the TD-160 was usually the SME 3009, but these are expensive on the second-hand market. I have found Rega arms work pretty well (though the arm height is also fixed with these unless you buy an aftermarket accessory) and second-hand ones are relatively cheap and plentiful. Otherwise, a Jelco arm would be a good choice.

HTH

Mark

user510

Post by user510 » 13 Sep 2019 19:37

Lots of people underestimate that tonearm, which appears to be the TP16 mk1. It is a somewhat heavy arm with an effective mass rating of 16.5 grams. It should work well with cartridges having compliance ratings below 20 and down to 10.
http://www.theanalogdept.com/cartridge_ ... tching.htm
Link above to more specific info on cartridge and tonearm matching.

If you want to swap out the arm with another you need to know the pivot to spindle distance of the arm you want to mount.
http://www.theanalogdept.com/images/spp ... /2pt_1.GIF

And if it is possible to fit the arm within the confines of that rather small opening within the top plate, you will likely need to construct a new armboard to fit the new tonearm into. It has been done many times and you will find numerous examples of people having done that.

I imagine Project offers specifications for the arm you have. So look that up to get an idea. Also, the pivot to spindle distance of the TP16 is well known. Compare that distance to that of the Project arm to get an idea if it is possible.
Thorens TP16 pivot to spindle distance: 215,6mm

http://www.theanalogdept.com/thorens_tonearms.htm
Above link to a table of Thorens tonearm data.

-Steve

jaakkoja

Post by jaakkoja » 25 Sep 2019 21:31

Thank you guy's for info. I did some measurements and found also dimensions for tonearm and seems that it could be fitted but there is lots of tinkering ahead.

I think I'll leave TP16 mk1 still at place, and let's see if future brings any possible candidates while surfing in ebay.

Meanwhile next thing is to purchase TP 60 headshell as orignal headshell has crack underneath cartrindge and Ortofon 2M Blue for grinding the records.
Ortofon seems to be match for Compliance 20µm/nM point of view if I understood correctly.

mik666
United States of America

Post by mik666 » 26 Sep 2019 15:13

I put the Jelco SA-250ST on my TD145 and never looked back -

there are many variants of the jelco - so they can be had for reasonable money -and you can get the adapter plate on EBAY for about $50 USD and its pretty much a direct bolt on then