Appreciable difference noticed with TD124 II & SME 3009 II

music box
62vauxhall

Appreciable difference noticed with TD124 II & SME 3009 II

Post by 62vauxhall » 12 Aug 2019 17:18

I am grateful for those who responded to my “Iron Sub-platter” thread in this forum and “SME 3009 Versions” thread in Turntables and Tonearms.

I took possession of the TD124 II two days ago. The arm I requested turned out to be a 3009 II non-improved not II Improved S2 that I thought it was.

For all intents and purposes, this is the only turntable/separate tonearm combination I’ve owned. The first stand alone turntable I purchased was a Dual 1015 in 1968 so I’ve been playing records a good number of years.

When I agreed to buy this Thorens/SME combo I was uncertain of what to expect from it. There was certainly a lot of hype. My turntables have all been what I considered “good” even though they left the factory as complete units.

The first day I had it I was “trying” to hear a vast difference. I might have been trying too hard.

But the second day, I noticed right away, details were more distinct. I was kind of surprised by that. I suppose I was hoping for a “night & day” improvement on my first listen which I did not hear.

But be that as it may, there is a noticeable difference, just not an “in your face” one.

The cartridge is one I’m quite used to, a Stanton 681EE that I’ve had since 73/74. My speakers are Infinity Kappa 7.1 i’s owned since new in ‘94 so used to those too. What’s in between is a power/pre which are not new to me and is the best amplification I’ve ever had. My point here is I am accustomed to what I consider reasonably good equipment that is capable of accurate reproduction.

I was glad when I became sure I actually heard improvement when the change to the system was only turntable and tonearm.

Considering the cost of this acquisition, I would have been royally PO’d had I heard only a slight difference. At this point I would call it subtle but obvious.

This reinforces my long held belief that component changes/upgrades must be experienced on one’s own system. There seemed little point to auditioning in the shop before purchase so I didn’t bother.

goatbreath
long player
long player
Scotland

Re: Appreciable difference noticed with TD124 II & SME 3009 II

Post by goatbreath » 13 Aug 2019 23:25

I find I hear the big differences when I feel relaxed and I am not actually listening for improvements/changes expecting things..
I agree about knowing your own system much better than unfamiliar stuff in the shop,
plus the acoustics are very different in the shop as well.. :)

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 14 Aug 2019 04:48

goatbreath wrote:
13 Aug 2019 23:25
I find I hear the big differences when I feel relaxed and I am not actually listening for improvements/changes expecting things..
I think you be very right about that. As mentioned, I was trying to hard that first day.

zwarte-romantiek

Post by zwarte-romantiek » 17 Aug 2019 07:24

Hi,

Now you have tried for more days. Are you still happy? More differences..

Regards,

Niels

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 18 Aug 2019 13:53

zwarte-romantiek wrote:
17 Aug 2019 07:24
Hi,

Now you have tried for more days. Are you still happy? More differences..

Regards,

Niels
The past couple of days were spent applying clear finish to the base it came it. Then I made a couple of adjustments to the tonearm. Last night I listened to a couple of old records including an original issue of The Beatles - Revolver. What I noticed with that one was that I didn't care for the stereo mix down.

Other than no pushing a button to start play and the arm returning to rest after play, all good so far.
IMG_4136.JPG
(187.68 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

jcidave1
United States of America

Post by jcidave1 » 19 Aug 2019 03:55

This all looks very nice. I'm glad its working well for you. Will you consider some kind of a dust cover?
At some point, you could try to make a stylus change for the Stanton. Several years ago, I thought I had remembered seeing SAS styli for this cartridge on the JICO website, but I don't see that in inventory anymore. I did see a Shibata tipped stylus for this cartridge series. Maybe a gift to self for Christmas.