TD-125 damaged in transit

music box
bsohne

TD-125 damaged in transit

Post by bsohne » 29 Jul 2019 04:07

hi everyone

I just took delivery of a td-125 .... week worth of travel ... I sent seller youtube video on how to pack the turntable... also send pics on how to put a cardboard board between the subplatter and top deck....

When I got the table. I found a silver disc on the bottom of the box...

I noticed when i put the sublpatter in it just quickly slipped in and would not spin....

see photos below....

any suggestion on how i can fix this ?
IMG-4897.JPG
(139.6 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
IMG-4897.JPG
(139.6 KiB) Downloaded 186 times

i did not find any other items , except for a part of the ring wire that came of the bottom of the shaft... ...
the black spot was a chuck of the broken dust cover.

Can i just put the disc back into the hole? solder it back in place? or epoxy? then add oil?

augh... i just want to cry..

thanks
bill
Attachments
IMG-4896.JPG
(120.63 KiB) Downloaded 178 times

JaS
engine room
engine room

Re: TD-125 damaged in transit

Post by JaS » 29 Jul 2019 13:34

With the thrust plate back in place, is there any room for a wire circlip in the retaining groove?

bsohne

Post by bsohne » 29 Jul 2019 13:53

Hi jas
Thanks for the reply ...

Will check , which way does the cap go back on ? Pointed side up towards the platter ? Or pointed side points down to floor ?

is there suppose to be anything else setting on top of this ???

I have no clue as I can find a cut away drawing for assistance ..

Best
Bill

JaS
engine room
engine room

Post by JaS » 29 Jul 2019 15:03

My guess is that the disc is the thrust plate and the platter bearing sits in the indent. I'm afraid I couldn't say what else might be missing as the bearing assembly is pressed together in the factory. I'm not even sure the disc should have an indent; this may have been caused when the platter bearing pushed the plate through the original crimped fixing? It might be worth dropping in a Teflon (10mm?) disc on top as a new thrust plate surface, depending on how smoothly the platter bearing runs on the original?

StephDale

Post by StephDale » 29 Jul 2019 19:44

Bill,

The thrust disc should be flat. It might need a drill press (UK terminology!) to press it back in again and get it adequately flat. As JaS says, I'd get hold of a new thrust pad to go on top of it, I use the ones from DualFred (https://www.dualfred.de/Thorens/Platter ... 76-en.html). I'd also get the end of the platter spindle under a bright light with a magnifying glass or loupe too, just to ensure it's not chipped or scratched. It's unlikely to be, but worth checking.

It may be easier to find a new bearing.

Steph

bsohne

Post by bsohne » 29 Jul 2019 20:38

Hi Steph

Ok I can we what I can do to flatten the dics... But What else am I missing?

three parts?
1) steel disc that I have and needs to be flatten.
2) a thrust pad that I can get from duafred.de
anything else?

Best
bill

StephDale

Post by StephDale » 29 Jul 2019 22:12

Bill,
That may well be enough to get you going. I've managed to do similar (although using a drill press and arbour to ensure the original thrust pad goes back true to the end of the axle/bearing sleeve).

I doubt it'll seal enough to be oil tight so after you've got it back in place use something like acetone to degrease the surfaces and leave it 24hrs to evaporate off. You can then run a bead of good-quality epoxy around the parts to seal them. I use this stuff when I need to make a decent job: https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-31345-Ton ... B0006O8QQ0

With good fortune and wind at your back you'll be good to go once the adhesive is completely cured. The new thrust bearing can be dropped down the well, oil follows it and then the spindle...

Steph

jcidave1
United States of America

Post by jcidave1 » 29 Jul 2019 23:45

You might put the dented disc between 2 thin pieces of wood then press it in a small vise. You might also use a C clamp. You could also hit it with a hammer between the 2 pieces of wood. I don't think it will take much to press it. Before you cover the bottom of the shaft with epoxy, I would contact a Thorens TT rebuilder to get any missing parts like a spring clip which I think is the proper part. You sure its not hidden in the shipping box? These rebuilders offer their services on Ebay for one place. I was fortunate when my TD 125 was shipped to me several weeks ago. I told the seller to remove the subplatter from the shaft well and he complied.

bsohne

Post by bsohne » 29 Jul 2019 23:49

StephDale wrote:
29 Jul 2019 22:12
Bill,
That may well be enough to get you going. I've managed to do similar (although using a drill press and arbour to ensure the original thrust pad goes back true to the end of the axle/bearing sleeve).

I doubt it'll seal enough to be oil tight so after you've got it back in place use something like acetone to degrease the surfaces and leave it 24hrs to evaporate off. You can then run a bead of good-quality epoxy around the parts to seal them. I use this stuff when I need to make a decent job: https://www.amazon.com/Devcon-31345-Ton ... B0006O8QQ0

With good fortune and wind at your back you'll be good to go once the adhesive is completely cured. The new thrust bearing can be dropped down the well, oil follows it and then the spindle...

Steph
Hi Steph

Will try to order the part and flatten the disc.
What oil do you use and how much ?

just " filler up"?

Best
bill

bsohne

Post by bsohne » 29 Jul 2019 23:51

jcidave1 wrote:
29 Jul 2019 23:45
You might put the dented disc between 2 thin pieces of wood then press it in a small vise. You might also use a C clamp. You could also hit it with a hammer between the 2 pieces of wood. I don't think it will take much to press it. Before you cover the bottom of the shaft with epoxy, I would contact a Thorens TT rebuilder to get any missing parts like a spring clip which I think is the proper part. You sure its not hidden in the shipping box? These rebuilders offer their services on Ebay for one place. I was fortunate when my TD 125 was shipped to me several weeks ago. I told the seller to remove the subplatter from the shaft well and he complied.

Hi

I tore thru the bx and packing three times ... the only bits was the piece of dust cover and the bent cap.

Not sure if a clip ring was part of this... i think it was sealed in position. with lead seal maybe ? anyone?

best
bill

StephDale

Post by StephDale » 30 Jul 2019 06:45

Bill,

I wouldn't expect a spring clip, I certainly haven't seen one on a Thorens turntable yet; there were 11 here at the last count, with several more having passed through over the last 15 years. Usually the end of the bearing tube is rolled over the thrust bearing to hold it in place; this is why I expect you may well manage to get the thrust bearing back in even if it doesn't seal. Of course, if the bearing did take a spring clip then your reassembly will be a great deal easier!

If you're going to try and flatten the disk before fitting, then hardwood blocks would seem the way to go. I would prefer a clamp or vice to using a mallet, as the latter will give much less control.

These are precision instruments, so use the best care and practise you can in the repair.

Steph

medwaybeat

Post by medwaybeat » 30 Jul 2019 08:23

If you flatten the disk first I doubt it will fit back into the bearing.
I'd pop it back in as it is and gently tap back close to flat with a bit of something round with a flat end. Once close then maybe try to get it flat with a ball bearing or something.

bsohne

Post by bsohne » 31 Jul 2019 17:20

Hi

I would not attempt to flatten the disc in position as you cant control the force that would be applied to the disc while it is inposition....

But the real question that I cant seem to find an answer on is

What exaclty are the three disc on the bottom....

1) steel disc that I have and needs to be flatten.
2) a thrust pad that I can get from duafred.de
3) what is the third disc...

as you can see in Ron Will take apart ..... of his damaged Td125 photo credit : Ron Will theanalogdept.comT
ron will discs53842085503_0_ALB.jpg
(25.25 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
w bearing plate.jpg
(34.88 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
reassambled.jpg
(44.27 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
Does anyone know where i could get a replacement ??

Thanks
Bill

jcidave1
United States of America

Post by jcidave1 » 01 Aug 2019 12:51

I suggest you try to contact Dave at Vinyl Nirvana. Sorry I don't have the website address, but you can search for it easily enough. Try to establish a dialogue with him and send your pictures. He works on 125s and has posted many videos on performing different tasks on repairs and upgrades although I don't know if there is anything specific on bearing work.

bsohne

Post by bsohne » 01 Aug 2019 16:04

jcidave1 wrote:
01 Aug 2019 12:51
I suggest you try to contact Dave at Vinyl Nirvana. Sorry I don't have the website address, but you can search for it easily enough. Try to establish a dialogue with him and send your pictures. He works on 125s and has posted many videos on performing different tasks on repairs and upgrades although I don't know if there is anything specific on bearing work.

In process of that as well.......

thanks
Bill