New Addition TD 125 and SME 3009

music box
jcidave1
United States of America

New Addition TD 125 and SME 3009

Post by jcidave1 » 20 Jul 2019 01:21

Finished putting this assembly together today with a run through on the test rig. Found the 125 mark I on CL in NJ. The armboard came from Vinyl Nirvina. I liked their precut version as it included all the screws I would need. The 3009 arm came from an Ebay seller. It has been wired with Cardas Clear and has upgraded knife edge bearings along with an OEM headshell. I have mounted a Micro Acoustics 2002e initially. While I have made a few dustcovers for other machines, I am not up for that on this TT and am eyeing a nice professional piece. Just have to figure how to hinge it as Thorens hinges are as rare as hens teeth.
Thorens TD 125 w SME 3009.JPG
(58.9 KiB) Downloaded 160 times

medwaybeat

Re: New Addition TD 125 and SME 3009

Post by medwaybeat » 21 Jul 2019 21:03

Nice

jcidave1
United States of America

Post by jcidave1 » 21 Jul 2019 23:31

Thanks, but I'm having some hum issues with the Micro Acoustics cartridge and trying to figure out if its the cartridge or this new to me arm/wiring cable assembly. More to follow after some additional investigation.

jcidave1
United States of America

Post by jcidave1 » 24 Jul 2019 00:54

While the 3009 arm and MA 2002e combo played well, I was getting a noticeable line hum of equal volume from both channels that made listening less pleasant. It was intrusive and not comparable to my other machines. I did a number of changes before I finally resolved this.
I strapped the 2 ground pins on the cartridge together. I changed the cartridge to a second 2002e I had as a spare. I ran a separate ground wire between the male and female plugs of the arm and the cable. I plugged the machine directly into a preamp phono section rather than a separate Pluto phono preamp. I checked a Shure V15 III mounted in another headshell which reduced the hum somewhat but it was still noticeable. None of this was working.
I then determined that the hum was louder with the TT running than it was just from the arm with the machine off. I thought of running a separate chassis ground wire, but then I remembered the oldest most simple trick in the book.
I pulled the TT power plug out and turned it around 180 degrees before re-insertion.
VIOLA! Hum gone. The chassis/ power supply was not properly grounded through the power cord.
Always something to remember with this older gear with only a 2 spade AC plug.

Tonybro
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by Tonybro » 24 Jul 2019 07:34

Nice looking deck...

Well done on finding the solution. Sounds a weird solution to someone from the UK as we have three pronged plugs that can only be inserted one way.

jcidave1
United States of America

Post by jcidave1 » 24 Jul 2019 11:54

Thanks Tony:
It does seem weird that this would fix the problem as there is no electrical connection between the arm and the chassis. I guess its proximity of the arm to the TT electrical components. Here in the US, most of this old 70's audio gear has a 2 prong plug. I am confident saying this Thorens is an export version wired for the US marketplace. The chassis ground runs down one side of the plug. You have a 50/50 chance of getting it right when you first plug it in. In some cases one of the 2 spades is slightly larger or has a small flare at the tip and the wall outlets will have one slot slightly larger than the other. That resolves the problem. New residence construction for decades now requires 3 prong grounded wall outlets. With your triple prong grounded plug, you would not have this issue.

jcidave1
United States of America

Post by jcidave1 » 27 Jul 2019 03:48

The OEM Thorens hinges came today and are now mounted with a temporary homemade dustcover leftover from another project. For this machine, I'll get a professionally made cover at some point as I don't want to fuss over another homemade cover with just adequate results.
Thorens TD125 temp dustcover.JPG
(61.45 KiB) Downloaded 93 times

jcidave1
United States of America

Post by jcidave1 » 07 Aug 2019 12:16

Have been getting a scratching surface background noise with the Micro Acoustics 2002e cartridge which was somewhat intrusive on quiet passages in all records. Switched to a second spare identical MA cartridge with no change.
The noise was a regular repetitive rotational noise, so I started looking at the platter shaft.
I polished the platter shaft several times with no change in the sound. The shaft was perfect in any event. Nothing wrong with it.
I did the best inspection I could in the platter shaft well and saw no problems, no scratching on the bronze bearings and the thrust plate had normal wear.
Taking a page out of the VPI manual, I tried lithium grease topped off with machine oil. This made no difference.
I then removed this mixture and refilled with plain machine oil. This made no difference.
Finally I removed the 2002e and replaced this with a Shure V15-III with a Vivid Line stylus. Suddenly silence.
The background noise is gone. I can now again hear the musicians turning music pages between tracks on DD records.
Not all 40 year old products age in the same way. I'm going to chalk this up to the electret elements in the MA cartridge being less effective than they were when they were new.

jcidave1
United States of America

Post by jcidave1 » 02 Sep 2019 01:55

Just added this new dust cover which arrived yesterday along with a JICO SAS stylus for the Shure V15III. So this project TD 125 is pretty much finished. Unfortunately, this ran beyond budget, somewhat like putting a car together from separate parts instead of buying the car assembled. I guess once I started I just couldn't stop. The satisfaction I get from this, aside from a well performing machine that sounds very nice, is that this reutilized parts that were doing nothing sitting on peoples' shelves that are now a functioning unit. Also, this project checks a box on my personal turntable bucket list. I plan on keeping and using this for a long time.
thorens TD 125 new cover.JPG
(60.94 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer
Canada

Post by Alec124c41 » 02 Sep 2019 01:59

Excellent!

Cheers,
Alec

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 02 Sep 2019 18:49

jcidave1 wrote:
02 Sep 2019 01:55
...I plan on keeping and using this for a long time.
Real Nice ! Enjoy it you will. Love it for long with all that you put in it, I am certain you will also.

Performing object of Joy, Pride and Love. Congratulation.