Thorens TD2001 drive

music box
StephDale

Thorens TD2001 drive

Post by StephDale » 09 Jun 2019 12:48

Good afternoon,

I've got a bit of a problem with my TD2001 drive, which is nearing the end of a fairly lengthy restoration. I thought I'd try here for any enlightenment before working my way through the service guide to see if I can get any closer to the issue:

. On pressing 'start' the motor just starts turning the platter, but there's considerable vibration and very little torque. I doubt the platter gets up to more than half speed.
. If I hand start the platter (not a bad idea with these clutchless drives anyway) and then press 'start' the motor is capable of maintaining speed and is certainly stable. I listened to a couple of albums yesterday evening and it sounded lovely! However, when running a record brush over the surface of a record, if the speed drops at all the motor speed falls away and the drive will revert back to vibrating and turning at low speed.

The turntable drive is stock and has had nothing done to it. The TP90 tonearm has been rewired, by-passing the circuit board on the bottom of the tonearm, although the earth cable remains connected. The end of side shut-off works, but doesn't lift the arm (should it?); it needs adjusting if I want to use it though as it's currently set up so that it activates closer to the spindle of the record.

Any thoughts? Guidance on where I should be looking is helpful. Not having had a dig around yet, I'm not even sure whether the issue is with the motor or the board, so any help on that front would be great.

Service guide is on VE, here: https://www.vinylengine.com/ve_download ... _en_de.pdf

Very many thanks,

Steph

StephDale

Re: Thorens TD2001 drive

Post by StephDale » 09 Jun 2019 20:11

Hehe, okay; mea culpa...

It's working perfectly. The moral of the story is to beware of incompatible third party accessories.

I use a Project Speedbox SE with (most of) my Thorens turntables. It works especially well with the TD 160 series. So, as the 2001 was sat on the rack in place of a 160, I didn't think much about it when I swapped the leads over.

Today I thought I'd better give it a try on a Thorens PSU so used my TNF 2000 to check. And it's all working fine.

So either a lack of all-out current delivery or the synthesized output aren't working with this generation of Thorens players. It's worth noting as I'd usually say that the Project Speedbox SE was a worthwhile upgrade - it mostly is.

The TNF 2000 definitely is... :D

Steph