TD150 MkII found in Tasmania

music box
user510

Re: TD150 MkII found in Tasmania

Post by user510 » 07 Oct 2019 02:19

oztayls wrote:
18 Jun 2019 04:49
The turntable arrived without its anti-skate weight and drape arm, so I had to make them. The stock weight is 1.4g so the piece of stainless steel rod was ground until the required weight was reached. I didn't have fishing line fine enough so I pulled a strand of dyneema (HDPE) from an old sailing rope and used that. It works!

The new clear acrylic dust cover arrived to complete the project. I mounted the new Ortofon Super OM cart and replaced the stock 5E stylus with a Stylus 30. The "30" is a nude fine line.

Time to play some records!
Very nice restore with mods. And a dust cover to complete the job. Beautiful.
-Steve

oztayls

Post by oztayls » 07 Oct 2019 03:21

oztayls wrote:
29 Sep 2019 02:51

With the tonearm rewiring, you can save a lot of money by using fine motor winding wire and it will sound just as good as the Cardas. It is OFC (oxygen-free copper) and comes insulated with a good long-lasting resin. You can either buy a little roll from an electronics store or use the wire from a GOOD quality small electric motor. Use coloured shrink tube on the ends to identify the wires and twist them all together, being careful not to kink the wire. You need 5 wires as one is the ground.
Resin? I think I meant to say enamel. Anyway, you know what I mean. Inside the arm tube, the wires will be shielded so it's not necessary to sheath them.

dagfinn
Norway

Post by dagfinn » 08 Oct 2019 19:44

Very nice job! I have soon to be three Thorens' I am working on, I learned a lot here, thank you!

taru03

Post by taru03 » 03 Nov 2019 23:49

oztayls wrote:
29 Sep 2019 02:51
taru03 wrote:
29 Sep 2019 01:25
Hi there. Amazing restoration! Congrats from Cambridge, Ontario. As I see your'e a handyman, so I would like to ask you something, if you don't mind. I got a TD150 MK2 in good condition for a low price. The big thing is, the tt came with a not original Thorens head shell. The previous owner tried to fit a generic head shell and he put 4 pieces of metal inside of the little holes at the end of the tonearm, to make contact with the generic head shell (you know, pins are longer in the original Thorens head shells). With a small tweezers I could take out 2 of them, but the other 2 are deeper, so I can not use the tweezers. Any suggestion? A magnet maybe? Also It's better to replace the RCA wires, if I can obviously take out the metal pieces? Thanks in advance!
Thankyou! It's hard for me to imagine what has been done by the previous owner and why. The TP50 headshell is still today one of the best headshells you can have on your turntable. There is a screw underneath the headshell connector fitting to facilitate removal. However, if it is damaged, I would buy a new tonearm and a TP50 headshell and rewire the tonearm. The headshells can sometimes be pricey, but not much more than a good generic one anyway. Keeping your Thorens TD150 Mk2 original is important and obviously, they are not made anymore and people are looking for originality. In any case, the arm is VERY good, much better than a lot of people think.

With the tonearm rewiring, you can save a lot of money by using fine motor winding wire and it will sound just as good as the Cardas. It is OFC (oxygen-free copper) and comes insulated with a good long-lasting resin. You can either buy a little roll from an electronics store or use the wire from a GOOD quality small electric motor. Use coloured shrink tube on the ends to identify the wires and twist them all together, being careful not to kink the wire. You need 5 wires as one is the ground.
Thanks for all the information. I'll try to follow all your instructions!!

Sikipitli
Australia

Post by Sikipitli » 05 Nov 2019 05:14

Well done oztayls - that is a beautiful job and one of the nicest I've seen. Congratulations on your find and on your choice of timbers. Now you can float the turntable in the bath with you to play music and the Huon Pine will never rot! Nice!