music box
DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Installing pulley to TD126 MK III motor

Post by DarthMaul » 03 Jun 2019 21:50

Guys,

What's the best way to install a plastic pulley on the motor of the TD126 MK III? I need to know.

Also, would it be worth it to use a plastic welding method in an attempt to seal the cracks on the pulley? I'm sure a small cheap low-powered soldering iron could do the job, but I'm not sure if that's worth it. Surely that would strengthen the pulley to an extent.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Installing pulley to TD126 MK III motor

Post by DarthMaul » 05 Jun 2019 21:11

Can anybody give advice on this? I've been waiting since Monday. Assuming that low heat from a hairdryer would expand the pulley a bit and allow it to fit on the shaft and then tighten, it could work. One problem: The pulley has cracks on the outer rim where the spokes meet the plastic outer ring, like many NOS pulleys of this design do. Heat may worsen the cracks depending on the material, according to somebody at my workplace.

Would it be worth it to use a low powered soldering iron to heat the cracks enough to cause them to meld together and seal shut? I will not be attempting this myself. I would only have a professional do it.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 06 Jun 2019 02:45

In addition to that question, does anybody know what type of plastic these pulleys are made from? This will let me find out in advance if adding heat during installation will worsen the cracks or not.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 07 Jun 2019 02:42

Tried asking the seller, but she could not help much, being a reseller of turntable parts. Looks like I need to turn to you guys. Also, I got a replacement belt, but it is tight. Waiting for the Thakker belt. Going to use it until then, as the old belt seems stretched.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 10 Jun 2019 03:34

Update:

I am going to need to replace the motor in my TD126 MK III after all. It's starting to give me trouble again and I was leery about it. It frequently is able to run without the belt, but when the belt is added, it has trouble. I think the brushes might have weakened. I need to wait for the replacement parts to come from Schopper AG, then the motor can be replaced once they're installed on the spare motor and the relevant wires are soldered in place. Not desoldering from the old motor. The bad motor that comes with the rubber motor mount will be used as a donor for the wires. The pulley and that motor are already in the United States and on their way towards the Detroit area.

I desperately need advice regarding getting the pulley on the motor shaft.

BTW, I once again tested the spare motor. It works just as easily as before.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 12 Jun 2019 00:55

Update: I was able to get the pulley on the motor with my bare hands! Easier than I thought it would be.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 12 Jun 2019 01:00

Will the replacement motor need a drop of oil? It runs more loudly than the other two. But also: With the pulley installed, when I cut the power to the motor it stops more gradually. It this a sign that the bearings are good?

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 14 Jun 2019 02:30

Update:

Motor installed. It works fine so far. No trouble starting up, unlike the old one thus far. Hoping it stays this way. The spare rubber mount is being used instead of the original, which was thrown away due to the warping. (It was unfixable.) The spare one is flat against the motor, and will not interfere with the pulley.

Now, for another update: The motor that was for parts or repair that came with the spare rubber mount, one of the tachometer clips broke off the bottom of the can. (I was trying to be careful. It was the one with the orange wire. It didn't take much for it to pop off.) Such a waste for me, since it could have been used in the future. But the seller did say it didn't work well, so no big loss.

Now, regarding the spare pulley... Its inner diameter was a bit too big, and caused the platter to spin too fast. I had to use the old pulley. Remember my topic of removing that pulley? I used my mother's hair dryer and a small flat head screwdriver, and was able to gradually get it off the old motor. Used the same trick to get the spare pulley off the replacement motor which was already installed in the turntable, then put the old pulley on the motor. The speed went back to normal! Debating on whether to send the pulley back to the seller or keep it. Messaged the seller to let them know the pulley diameter was too big. It was only one millimeter bigger in diameter.

The soldering of the wires onto the replacement motor was done by my co-worker Steven. This enabled me to not need my uncle. The turntable isn't ready for use yet. I will wait until at least this weekend. Steven did notice one of the tabs at the bottom that holds the soldered clips in place on the replacement motor was coming a little loose and pushed it all the way in. It held. He warned me to be careful, gentle and to take my time. I knew that if that popped off, the motor would have been ruined. However, I was careful enough that the tab stayed in place. Everything is fine. I'm glad he warned me.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 14 Jun 2019 22:41

Oh,

And the old pulley wobbles a bit. Is it worth it to try to get it to straighten? Not going to risk breaking it. I tried once using a hair dryer and got it to not wobble once, but I think the wobble will likely return.

Heard the motor squeal for the first time today without the belt on, but last I tried it ran without squealing again like it normally does. It's quiet with the belt on. Don't know if the pulley is the cause. By the way, I did add one drop of 3-in-1 oil on each end before the soldering work was done. Not going to add any more oil because I remember what happened to the old motor. It does not fail to start up at all, and I hope it stays that way. Also, every time the turntable is started it gets up to speed quickly and gets up to a consistent speed almost every time, unless it's a cold start where it hasn't been started for many hours.

DarthMaul
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by DarthMaul » 15 Jun 2019 01:27

Update: Just tested the motor again when I went upstairs. It's gotten much quieter. Squealing didn't return, nor did loud noise. Pulley is wobbling less. Got it with my mom's hairdryer again and while I did attempt to pull up on the center, the screwdriver pushed down on the part of the outer disc that was tilted slightly up, pushing it downwards. The spokes are fine. The only cracks in them are those that were there to begin with. The fact that the pulley is spinning more true might be the reason why the motor quietened. If I run it at 33rpm with just the belt and subplatter, I can't even hear it.