Power Supply

music box
EdtheJak22
Great Britain

Power Supply

Post by EdtheJak22 » 25 May 2019 08:05

Hello all, quick question, has anybody here fitted the Vinyl Passion, Wave Universal Power supply to their Thorens, I have a TD160b MKII and looking at the unit on Ebay I can't see how the wiring would work with the switch on my table.

markcass
long player
long player
Great Britain

Re: Power Supply

Post by markcass » 25 May 2019 17:03

EdtheJak22 wrote:
25 May 2019 08:05
Hello all, quick question, has anybody here fitted the Vinyl Passion, Wave Universal Power supply to their Thorens, I have a TD160b MKII and looking at the unit on Ebay I can't see how the wiring would work with the switch on my table.
Hi

Yes, I have, but I had previously replaced the switch and silver knob with a push-button switch. The main reason for buying the Vinyl Passion supply was to eliminate a loud switch-on/off 'thump'. Replacing the spark-suppressor capacitor, and even the original switch, had not cured this, so the problem must have been somewhere in the circuit network under the plastic cover at the back of the plinth. I had already replaced the start capacitor, as the motor sometimes ran backwards at start-up.

The VP unit certainly works, and the connection is quite simple with a single-pole, single-throw push-button switch, which has just two connections, matching those on the circuit-board. I imagine a rotary switch of this type could also be fitted, and if operated by the standard knob on a TD-160 would preserve the look (should have thought of that!). I had previously removed the speed-change mechanism, and that would be difficult to integrate with a new switch, I imagine.

HTH

Mark

EdtheJak22
Great Britain

Post by EdtheJak22 » 25 May 2019 17:30

Thanks for the reply Mark, my switch is a double pole switch and takes both live and neutral from the mains input so I guess I just can't make that work, the reason I was thinking of using the Vinyl Passion unit was I had a new plinth made and asked for a hole for an IEC socket but I didn't specify where to put it (dumb or what!) and guess where it ended up, right behind the junction box so no room for spade connectors, I managed to solder the connections and it ended up quite tidy in the end, but I did fancy a nice clean supply of power.

Eddie J

markcass
long player
long player
Great Britain

Post by markcass » 27 May 2019 11:46

EdtheJak22 wrote:
25 May 2019 17:30
Thanks for the reply Mark, my switch is a double pole switch and takes both live and neutral from the mains input so I guess I just can't make that work, the reason I was thinking of using the Vinyl Passion unit was I had a new plinth made and asked for a hole for an IEC socket but I didn't specify where to put it (dumb or what!) and guess where it ended up, right behind the junction box so no room for spade connectors, I managed to solder the connections and it ended up quite tidy in the end, but I did fancy a nice clean supply of power.

Eddie J
Hi Eddie

I shouldn't worry if it all works well. The VP supply is pretty simple, I think, and probably doesn't clean up the power very much. It solved a problem for me, as I've explained, and I didn't think my DIY skills were quite up to making something like it.

For real performance improvements I think one would need an electronic regenerator supply, like the plug-in Heed Orbit or Isokinetic units. It's also possible to DIY a transformer-based 'Naim Armageddon' type supply. I did try to build one of these once for a Systemdek. That's when my limitations in this area became clear - it just blew a fuse each time I switched on :shock: !

Cheers

Mark

mayebaza
Great Britain

Post by mayebaza » 04 Sep 2019 22:44

markcass wrote:
27 May 2019 11:46
EdtheJak22 wrote:

Eddie J
Hi Eddie

I shouldn't worry if it all works well. The VP supply is pretty simple, I think, and probably doesn't clean up the power very much. It solved a problem for me, as I've explained, and I didn't think my DIY skills were quite up to making something like it.

For real performance improvements I think one would need an electronic regenerator supply, like the plug-in Heed Orbit or Isokinetic units. It's also possible to DIY a transformer-based 'Naim Armageddon' type supply. I did try to build one of these once for a Systemdek. That's when my limitations in this area became clear - it just blew a fuse each time I switched on :shock: !

Cheers

Mark
For a real improvement your talking about this has to be one of the best Longdog Audio Quartz Turntable Power Supply MKII https://theaudiophileman.com/quartz-tur ... dog-audio/

jorgestevesilva
Portugal

Post by jorgestevesilva » 09 Oct 2019 01:20

mayebaza wrote:
04 Sep 2019 22:44
markcass wrote:
27 May 2019 11:46
EdtheJak22 wrote:

Eddie J
Hi Eddie

Cheers

Mark
For a real improvement your talking about this has to be one of the best Longdog Audio Quartz Turntable Power Supply MKII https://theaudiophileman.com/quartz-tur ... dog-audio/
Hello guys,

Do you know what is the motor voltage?

Best
Jorge