by passing cueing mechanism for power

music box
mik666
United States of America

by passing cueing mechanism for power

Post by mik666 » 20 May 2019 18:55

Hey all
i found another TD145 at local garage sale ($35) - the TP16 tone arm is missing put it does power up. I have access to a Jelco SA-250st , and see that there are after market arm boards on ebay meant for TD160 but sure they will fit. Does anyone know how much of a hassle it is to bypass the cueing mechanism so its just on / off for the motor ? I'm sure i could fit another TP16, but knowing how finicky the auto stop is I'm not sure i want to go down that path

thanks in advance
mike

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Re: by passing cueing mechanism for power

Post by tlscapital » 21 May 2019 12:04

Your TD145 without the TP16 can 'as-is' be fitted with any tonearm. If you want to keep it visually "intact" from the outside you can just leave the "lift/rest" knob with it's mechanism below the chassis. If ever you want to disassemble the whole to toneam mechanism, you'll be left with just the knob hole on the top-plate if ever.

I guess that the tonearm cabling is gone with the tonearm and so unconnected to the electrolytic board. Without the TP16, the auto shut off can not interfere with the motor 'on/off' operations anymore. You're absolutely free to fit it with any "purist" (audiophile jargon for manual) tonearm as long as you get the right arm board.

mik666
United States of America

Post by mik666 » 21 May 2019 17:52

great thx - yes i was dicking around with it yesterday and kind of figured out what your saying TLS
thx!
mike

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 27 May 2019 02:04

Yeah... the 145 is identical to the 160.....except the 145 has an end of LP tone arm lift .. that is magnetically tripped . Both have the same exact TP-16 arm and arm board.