TD-150 MK1: Speed switch/lever not engaging 45rpm roller section

music box
terzinator
United States of America

TD-150 MK1: Speed switch/lever not engaging 45rpm roller section

Post by terzinator » 08 Apr 2019 02:23

If I turn the rotary knob from 33 to 45, it does what it's supposed to do, which is raise the angle of the armature that guides the belt to the larger roller. It's like a derailleur on a bike, really.

But it doesn't quite get there. If I help the armature by lifting it ever so slightly more, the belt finally jumps to the big roller, and it will stay there. Going from 45 back to 33, no problem. It ramps down just fine.

If I want to listen to a high-fidelity 45 RPM record, I gotta take off the platter to do it. Not the end of the world, but not the way it's supposed to work.

Anyway, any suggestions or best practices to adjust the thing so it raises the belt more reliably?

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Re: TD-150 MK1: Speed switch/lever not engaging 45rpm roller section

Post by tlscapital » 08 Apr 2019 09:13

terzinator wrote:
08 Apr 2019 02:23
If I turn the rotary knob from 33 to 45, it does what it's supposed to do, which is raise the angle of the armature that guides the belt to the larger roller. It's like a derailleur on a bike, really.

But it doesn't quite get there. If I help the armature by lifting it ever so slightly more, the belt finally jumps to the big roller, and it will stay there. Going from 45 back to 33, no problem. It ramps down just fine.

If I want to listen to a high-fidelity 45 RPM record, I gotta take off the platter to do it. Not the end of the world, but not the way it's supposed to work.

Anyway, any suggestions or best practices to adjust the thing so it raises the belt more reliably?
Isopropyl clean of the pulley (= your "roller"'), belt and sub-platter outer edge ;)

nezbleu
Canada

Post by nezbleu » 08 Apr 2019 19:17

Also, check the motor azimuth, the belt should run in the middle of the pulley section (33 or 45). Finally, gently bend the lever that moves the belt.

josephazannieri
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by josephazannieri » 08 Apr 2019 21:30

Yo terzinator:

If you take a look at the unit after you take off the outer portion of turntable, you will see a screw between the motor pulley and the inner turntable. turn that screw in and out until the belt rides exactly in the middle of the pulley step at 33. That should set you up so that the belt will shift from pulley to pulley. Belt should not touch the shift arm when riding properly.

The belts stretch out over time, so you may get a reluctance to shift if the belt is stretched out. You may have to buy a new belt. However, many belts that are available at low prices on the Famous Auction Website are too small or too thick, and will pull too hard on the motor bearings, causing wear on the motor bearings and speed irregularities. I am currently suffering from a stretched belt, so my TD 150 AB is not shifting from 33 to 45 just like yours, even though the belt is riding properly.

In general, you should not mess with the shift arm unless it has been messed with previously by some p**z. I bought my TD 150 new and I have not diddled with the arm, so I know I am OK. Other participants suggest a Thakker belt which will be the right size, but I have had good results with belts from Q-Audio in Massachusetts, which will also be the right size. It's a Q-Audio belt, marked with the Thorens logo that I bought from Q-Audio, that I will have to replace. It'll cost a little dough, but it's well worth it, and Q-Audio is a reliable seller that I am not connected to. Q-Audio might be a good choice for you, since you are a US resident.

And good luck from that now shiftless, but still unconnected old guy,

Joe Z.

terzinator
United States of America

Post by terzinator » 09 Apr 2019 05:02

tlscapital wrote:
08 Apr 2019 09:13
terzinator wrote:
08 Apr 2019 02:23

Isopropyl clean of the pulley (= your "roller"'), belt and sub-platter outer edge ;)
I did this, and it worked. However, it only worked for a few seconds after applying the alcohol to the pulley.

However, if I "enthusiastically" turn the knob to the 45 speed, it will stay there.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 09 Apr 2019 10:30

terzinator wrote:
09 Apr 2019 05:02
I did this, and it worked. However, it only worked for a few seconds after applying the alcohol to the pulley.

However, if I "enthusiastically" turn the knob to the 45 speed, it will stay there.
And what about a new belt ?

bernard1
France

Post by bernard1 » 09 Apr 2019 10:45

As a TD 166 and 160S owner, I can tell you that, unless your turntable have suffered bad treatment by previous owner, or bad condition transport, most of the time, the problem you describe is solved by cleaning the belt.
I have new belts on my tables, but I kept the old ones, and they are still ok and performing, after alcohol cleaning.

A trick, to help the belt going from 33 to 45 position on the pulley, is to run the table at 33 rpm, then, when the speed is ok to change quickly to 45. The inertia of the platter helps.

felixbo
Germany

Post by felixbo » 10 Apr 2019 06:51

Hi terzinator,
cleaning is good, controlling the azimut is good. If this won´t work, as the others already suggested: Try a new belt.
Got the same problem and solved it with a new belt. Stressed out belts have not enough stability to transform the shifting impulse and switch to the upper 45 pulley. They just twist. Good quality and affordable are Thakker belts.

Cheers Felix

oztayls

Post by oztayls » 06 Jun 2019 11:16

You need to clean the belt and pulley, and in addition you need to adjust the angle of pulley by tweaking the adjustment screws. Make sure the belt you’re using is no wider than 4mm. A lot of thd cheap belts on the market are actually 5mm wide and don’t work properly when changing speeds.

terzinator
United States of America

Post by terzinator » 13 Jun 2019 17:31

Oh, I see this has had a few responses since I last checked in.

I cleaned belt and pulley a while back and this did the trick. I did have a new Thorens belt, but I swiped it for my TD-126.

62vauxhall

Post by 62vauxhall » 24 Jun 2019 19:50

FWI, a friend's newly purchased TD150 needed tidying up so I cleaned it. And a belt so I got a generic one. Afterwards, it had that exact problem.

Not knowing a thing about Thorens turntables, I followed my usual proceedure.

I was assured by a turntable repair shop that a 30-ish dollar belt specific to Thorens was needed. The table's owner reluctantly OK'd the expense (generic belt was $5) but it did make changing speeds possible.