Thorens TD 320 random motor drive activity

music box
Daz70
Australia

Thorens TD 320 random motor drive activity

Post by Daz70 » 12 Feb 2019 11:13

Hi All,

New to this group but have owned a Thornes since the 90's and love it. I recently came across a TD 320 in a shed covered in dust and rat foot prints! I couldn't resist and got it for a reasonable price, I tested it and it ran so I was happy but when I got home to try to to play a record it ran then stopped. I tried again and it would turn the plate but then stopped. I took the plate and belt off and turned it on and the drive would randomly work then stop and then try to rotate then stop, touching the drive it was vibrating but wasn't turning. So I thought it was the motor, I have a TD 318mk2 and the specs showed it was the same motor so I switched the motor...same result, wouldn't work was doing the same thing. I put the TD 320 motor on the TD 318mk2 body and it worked fine, so it wasn't the motor. I then tried the power source and switched the cable from the 318 to the 320 and had the same result....it would vibrate like its getting power, would turn a few revolutions then stop always vibrating like its getting power but some things stopping it from fully rotating. I have no idea what the problem is but would love to use this turn table....if anybody has had this issue or can help with any suggestions I would appreciate it very much!!

Cheers

Daz70

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Re: Thorens TD 320 random motor drive activity

Post by abril » 12 Feb 2019 13:40

Rat footprints :shock:

Check out all the wiring insulation is in 1 piece [-o<

Daz70
Australia

Post by Daz70 » 12 Feb 2019 20:56

Thanks for your reply Abril, everything inside is in perfect condition. Nothing stands out of place. The main power lead I used the one from my TD 318 to make sure that the source was good.....it’s got me beat 😬

abril
long player
long player
Georgia

Post by abril » 14 Feb 2019 10:48

Both appear to have the same motor control board - have you tried swapping?