the home of the turntable

Just joined the Thorens owners club

music box

Just joined the Thorens owners club

Postby rtijer » 16 May 2018 18:29

I was garage sale shopping last weekend and ran across a TD 126 MKII in the original box being sold by the original owner. My 11 year old has a 95% plastic ION turntable and I promised that I would find him a real turntable so I bought the Thorens as the owner guaranteed that it worked and it looked to be in pretty good shape in the box.

So we took it home and set it up and now my son has a better turntable so everyone is happy.

My question is this: What is the knob labelled ML - L - O supposed to do? I tried to turn it with a small amount of pressure and it doesn't budge. From what I was able to get from the manual, it does the same thing as the buttons to the right of it. Just wondering why it is hard to move.

Thanks!
rtijer

United States of America

Re: Just joined the Thorens owners club

Postby JDJX » 16 May 2018 18:54

Welcome to the forums and... welcome to Thorens.. :)

From the manual......

mloxxx.jpg

How you set it is up to you. :)
However, personally I would set it in the "L" position
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby rtijer » 16 May 2018 19:05

Very good and thanks much.
rtijer

United States of America

Postby JDJX » 16 May 2018 19:18

Perhaps someone else can tell you why you can not move it.

Did you try to move it when it's powered up and spinning?
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Postby rtijer » 16 May 2018 20:49

JDJX wrote:
Did you try to move it when it's powered up and spinning?

i really dont remember. i will try the next time i am near it.
rtijer

United States of America

Postby jlbruyelle » 16 May 2018 23:23

I had the same problem with that knob, of being unable to turn it. It was on a TD126 MkIII but this is the exact same button as MkII so what I'm going to write remains valid on yours.

This rotary button uses a ball and a slot to materialize the 3 positions ("ML", "L", "O"): when the angular position of the knob matches one of the correct positions of the switch, the ball is pushed into the slot, making a faint clicking sound, and it takes some effort to drive it out. Well, on this particular model of switch, the ball, or the spring that pushes it into the slot, occasionally goes out of alignment and jams the mechanism, so the knobs gets blocked in its current position. Whether or not the motor is spinning makes no difference, this is just an rotary switch that works independently of anything else.

I wouldn't worry too much about this, at least if it is blocked in a position you can live with, if only because after a (relatively long) while the problem sort of fixed itself in my case, and never came back. You can try to gently actuate it and hope the spring/ball will come back into position.
jlbruyelle

France

Postby rtijer » 01 Jun 2018 20:35

My 11 year old figured it out. He somehow set it to where he wants it and thats where it will stay. Thanks for all of the replies. Every single one was helpful.
rtijer

United States of America

Return to Thorens