Replacement dustcover pins for TD160

music box
dkris9709
United States of America

Replacement dustcover pins for TD160

Post by dkris9709 » 06 Jan 2019 18:57

Hi,

I am new to the group, but not to Thorens. I purchased my TD 160 in 1972 and it is still very much in service.

The Dust Cover went on the shelf several years ago after a crack developed on one of the hinges.

I am the process of repairing the Dust Cover using Vinyl Nirvana's Hinge Repair Kit Reinforcers.

Unfortunately I have managed to lose one of the pins in the years that it was idle. Assuming a replacement pin is going to be prohibitively expense, I'm looking for suggestions on what to use as an alternative.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
David

dave999

Re: Replacement dustcover pins for TD160

Post by dave999 » 10 Jan 2019 17:28

the Thorens hinge pin man in slovenia has you covered.

expensive for 2 pins and 2 washers but he's obviously getting these custom made so all in all not bad

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thorens-Hinges ... :rk:1:pf:0

i have had 2 sets. arrive within about 3-6 days to the UK

identical in all ways to original part apart from i think they are ever so slightly longer on the pointed end which has benefits for plinths with ovaled holes

push, then tap them in
Job done

if screws have been used, fill hole with chemical metal (metal epoxy) then press in pin. it won't come out....again.
any mess is hidden behind the washer

Dave

dave999

Post by dave999 » 10 Jan 2019 17:41

i think he does dust covers as well
if not
german ebay has some, worn and scratched. $50-80 new production $150+

you need the Mk1 version with the plastic snap off hinges at the sides not the mark 2 version that had sprung hinges at the back

if you get "worn and scratched" you can polish it with Arm and hammer Tooth whitening toothpaste or CD repair paste or the stuff they used to sell for polishing Ipod screens

it won't be like new but it will be uniformly OK rather than obviously scratched

Dave

DT999
Australia

Post by DT999 » 12 Jan 2019 04:51

dave999 wrote:
10 Jan 2019 17:28
the Thorens hinge pin man in slovenia has you covered.

expensive for 2 pins and 2 washers but he's obviously getting these custom made so all in all not bad

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Thorens-Hinges ... :rk:1:pf:0

i have had 2 sets. arrive within about 3-6 days to the UK

identical in all ways to original part apart from i think they are ever so slightly longer on the pointed end which has benefits for plinths with ovaled holes

push, then tap them in
Job done

if screws have been used, fill hole with chemical metal (metal epoxy) then press in pin. it won't come out....again.
any mess is hidden behind the washer

Dave
I have also used these pins with the hinge repair kit from Vinyl Nirvana, they work well together and both are decent quality

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Post by JDJX » 12 Jan 2019 06:27

Actually, the hing pins are just a press fit into the plinth .

A good inexpensive substitute would be the smooth end of a proper diameter drill bit, cut to the proper length.

Even a short length from a standard "wire" coat hanger will do. You can't get any more inexpensive than that. :)

As far as the washer that accompanies the stock pin..........
One of my washers was missing when got my Thorens. I just replaced it with a small washer that I had on hand .
The thickness of the washer is not at all critical .:)

Carbon13

Post by Carbon13 » 21 Jan 2019 01:18

I've used rivets cut to size with good success. The flange covers any damage any the finish (usually aluminum or stainless) looks pretty good.