Origine Live upgrade belt for Thorens

music box
Danilo_

Re: Origine Live upgrade belt for Thorens

Post by Danilo_ » 17 Sep 2016 23:25

Good that you like it Given it's erm Price.
We all hear what we want to It's what makes the econmic aspects Audioland spin.
As for Life? Dunno:-)
I am still Using the OEM belt that came on My Thorens which I bought new in '72.
I also bought spare belts with the TT Unlikely I'll be using them for while yet though.

smoricca

Post by smoricca » 13 Oct 2016 22:45

I just received an Origin Live belt for my TD-160. The existing belt on the deck is a two or three year old Thorens branded belt which, according to the Dr. Feickert turntable speed app, runs a little bit fast. (My test record's 1kHz tone plays at 1003 Hz.) When I ordered the belt from Origin Live I specified that I needed a belt for a TD-160 and when it came it was in a little bag marked 538, which I presume is the length in millimeters. Interestingly, with the Origin belt my test record runs at 997 Hz. Getting to dead on the money 33.333 RPM may only be attainable with an outboard control box, like the Music Hall Cruise Control. I have two other belts sourced from other vendors and they're not accurate either.
As of yet, I haven't had a chance to do any careful A-B listening between the Thorens belt and the Origin belt, which is indeed a little bit thicker in cross section in comparison, with a sort of rough, pebbled finish on the contact surface.
I'm not sure if those characteristics will make any difference to the sound, but I think I'm more sensitive to pitch irregularities and very small difference in resolution. But I see what I can find.

smoricca

Post by smoricca » 13 Oct 2016 23:16

Sorry -- the last paragraph of my post a few minutes ago should read like this:
I'm not sure if those characteristics will make any difference to the sound, but I think I'm more sensitive to pitch irregularities THAN very small differences in resolution. But I WILL see what I can find

blossombone

Post by blossombone » 01 Nov 2016 15:36

I am interested in your findings. I have had a rega planar 3 or two for the last 25 years, and just decided to spend some money on equipment instead of just buying vinyl.

My adquisitions, which both arrived on the same day, are a thorens td 160 and a Lenco L75 (idler drive) TT. I hooked up my rega rb 300 to the Lenco.

Comparing the two, the thorens sounds ok, but has a "turned down" sound. A little muddy and mellower than the Lenco which runs solidly at whatever speed I put it on.

Having cleared up a couple of issues with the thorens (change belt to thaker, repair problem with speed change arm, "tuned" thorens suspension, changed RCA plugs) it runs closer to 33.3 rpm but not quite.

Being a musician, I "tuned" the Lenco to sound the same pitch as the Thorens and still there is no comparison in clarity etc...the Lenco easily smokes the thorens. (admittedly with a denon dl 103 on the Lenco and an old sumiko blue point 2 on the thorens) but, i tried the denon on the thorens briefly, and it didn't change the overall impression much.
Soooo, maybe the origin live belt could turn the trick. My aim is to improve the thorens as much as possible and sell it on.

tlscapital
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by tlscapital » 01 Nov 2016 20:42

blossombone wrote:I am interested in your findings. I have had a rega planar 3 or two for the last 25 years, and just decided to spend some money on equipment instead of just buying vinyl.

My adquisitions, which both arrived on the same day, are a thorens td 160 and a Lenco L75 (idler drive) TT. I hooked up my rega rb 300 to the Lenco.

Comparing the two, the thorens sounds ok, but has a "turned down" sound. A little muddy and mellower than the Lenco which runs solidly at whatever speed I put it on.

Having cleared up a couple of issues with the thorens (change belt to thaker, repair problem with speed change arm, "tuned" thorens suspension, changed RCA plugs) it runs closer to 33.3 rpm but not quite.

Being a musician, I "tuned" the Lenco to sound the same pitch as the Thorens and still there is no comparison in clarity etc...the Lenco easily smokes the thorens. (admittedly with a denon dl 103 on the Lenco and an old sumiko blue point 2 on the thorens) but, i tried the denon on the thorens briefly, and it didn't change the overall impression much.
Soooo, maybe the origin live belt could turn the trick. My aim is to improve the thorens as much as possible and sell it on.
Well, for the "mellower" thing I'd say that it's true and that's why I do prefer them belt drive in the end. But to correct that less "tight" sound (due to speed incoherences) with a proper PSU it's indeed expensive. I will let you know when I'll get mine by next month Santa's willing !

As for the "muddy" side it can't be due to the belt factor, but rather something that needs to be cleaned, changed or improved between the needle and the output of the tonearm. You did the interchange trial with the cartridges to no major changes. So it's should be something that is not right further up the line...

But what tonearms are those two TT's fitted with actually ? TT's are only half without a tonearm and accordingly that can do all the difference. So I did find the OL belt better than the Thakker's but it's too soon for me to tell if they are worth the cost$ for what is just a small improvement.

My sound got less and less "muddier" much more noticeably with the tweaks on my tonearm mainly (rewiring, increasing a lot the original weight of the whole tonearm) and with the combinations of materials for the matt in the end. I could hear the bass a little bit snapper with the OL though. But only that.

ehtoo
long player
long player

Post by ehtoo » 01 Nov 2016 21:38

blossombone wrote:I am interested in your findings. I have had a rega planar 3 or two for the last 25 years, and just decided to spend some money on equipment instead of just buying vinyl.

Assuming your bottom plate on the Thorens is the masonite one, I'd suggest a 1/2 Baltic Birch or MDF replacement cut for a snug fit within the plinth for a start.
That goes a long way in improving the Thorens and I'd try that before the belt if you're intention is to sell it. Dampening the motor plate etc. per Chadwick mods is also helpful and not costly. Just a few suggestions.

You can do a lot more and achieve significant results but if you're happyt with the Lenco, I wouldn't bother.

blossombone

Post by blossombone » 04 Nov 2016 14:28

sounds like an idea!
Since it will go to a friend, I may do a few of the mods that don't cost money, just to get the best out of it.

motogiullare

Post by motogiullare » 26 Apr 2017 21:36

Reviving the thread after going through the 6 pages, now the belt length for the TD-160 is 542mm, not 538 mm. A design upgrade?

Danilo_

Post by Danilo_ » 18 May 2017 21:19

Unlikely .. more that someone has a truckload of 'slightly' differing belts to sell on.

motogiullare

Post by motogiullare » 18 May 2017 22:01

Strange, because I got the info straight off the OL website....

seanm

Post by seanm » 29 May 2018 15:19

Another revive!

I finally got around to fitting one of these to my TD125II. Took a while because I had to trim it: it's too wide by at least a mm, and fouls the belt guides.

The difference it made is quite dramatic: music is very noticeably tighter, faster, cleaner, with a more distinct leading edge to notes. It's almost a bit much: I got the 125 partly to complement an RP6, the speed of which I really enjoyed but found a bit wearing long term.

I should say, though, that my old belt had a couple of years on it, and is of the type you get in Joel's Kits, which are looser than the official Thorens ones, so a new Thorens belt might have had exactly the same effect. Thought I'd share, though, and see if anyone else has tried one recently.

analog_sa

Post by analog_sa » 10 Nov 2018 12:50

How did you manage to trim the width?

seanm

Post by seanm » 07 Dec 2018 15:51

analog_sa wrote:
10 Nov 2018 12:50
How did you manage to trim the width?
With a scalpel. Did a terrible job too, it's a real mess. Hasn't fallen apart yet though.