the home of the turntable

TP16 antiskating problem

music box

TP16 antiskating problem

Postby indietronic » 12 Jan 2018 21:48

hello fellow vinyl enthusiasts. i have an original td 160 with tp16 tonearm (and stanton 681eee loaded) , bought 2nd hand , sounds lovely . as bought tracking force (with the brush) is set to 2gr. yesterday i tried to reset (tracking force and antiskating to 0) , adjusted counterweight so the tonearm is parallel to the platter (needle hardly touches a vinyl record). i cannot justify the fact that when tonearm is free , it keeps pulling to the right (armrest position) without antiskating (as already said , set to 0) . normally i guess it should "float" at any point even near the spindle when all set to 0 , apparently something is wrong so i am writing this to find a solution , asap . best , indie.
indietronic

Greece

Re: TP16 antiskating problem

Postby jdjohn » 13 Jan 2018 00:40

Interesting you ask that just now. I have been working on a TD-160, and the headshell was always drifting towards the edge of the record as the needle dropped. During the process of rewiring the tonearm, I had to loosen the right horizontal bearing screw in order to remove the tonearm. I thought to myself as I loosened it that it was on there awfully tight.

Anyway, when I reinstalled the tonearm, I tightened that bearing screw to (what I think) is a reasonable tightness. Now the headshell drops straight and doesn't drift. I think the proper adjustment is to tighten the screw all the way, then back-off a quarter turn. I went ahead and adjusted both sides/screws the same way.

The tightness of the screws may be totally unrelated to that headshell drift, but just thought I would share! :D
jdjohn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby indietronic » 13 Jan 2018 15:20

ok . can one Help me with fixing the issue with antiskating on my td 160 , please ?
indietronic

Greece

Postby JDJX » 13 Jan 2018 16:49

The T-16 tone arm uses a magnet to set AS. It's a good system.

Are you sure that the Plinth and more importantly, the floating/sprung tone arm and platter assembly is absolutely level?
JDJX
long player
long player

Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

United States of America

Return to Thorens