TP-16 arm lift issue

music box
chrisbolen
United States of America

Re: TP-16 arm lift issue

Post by chrisbolen » 08 Jan 2020 16:09

I'm not sure why I'm not seeing my previous reply...
but no, I'm not afraid to open her up. :) this wouldn't be the 1st time.
is sewing machine oil an acceptable substitute for lubing this internal shaft? I've got that on hand. but no 300 000 silicon grease. coud you provide a link to the grease you're referring to please?

thanks!

Hugues TR4 wrote:
08 Jan 2020 14:55
<t>Hi Chris,<br/>
<br/>
As you can see on my pic, the arm rest (the horizontal black plastic part) is attached to a shaft which slides inside a tube.<br/>
If you are afraid to open up the beast, try and introduce a droplet of silicone oil as mentioned on the side of the shaft.<br/>
Then make it work up and down manually to spread the oil inside.<br/>
It is also possible to reach and clean the whole mechanism and smear fresh silicone (beware: too much of it will over slow the lift system).<br/>
Did you download the service manual from the VE library? Could be useful before you start disassembling (have a look at page 4)br/>
Hope this will help.<br/>
Good luck and Cheers,<br/>
<br/>
Hugh</t>

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 08 Jan 2020 16:40

Found this 300.000 silicone oil on the net (from France: www.RC-France-Modelisme.com.)
Ordinary oil will not make it: it is more a "braking" than a lubricating effect which is asked for.
Silicone grease will give that effect.
Use sparingly, or you will have to try several times before finding the right amount.
Good luck,
Cheers,

Hugh

chrisbolen
United States of America

Post by chrisbolen » 08 Jan 2020 16:43

I found some on Amazon...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001H ... NK30&psc=1

I'll be ordering this weekend. thanks again.
Hugues TR4 wrote:
08 Jan 2020 16:40
Found this 300.000 silicone oil on the net (from France: www.RC-France-Modelisme.com.)
Ordinary oil will not make it: it is more a "braking" than a lubricating effect which is asked for.
Use sparingly, or you will have to try several times before finding the right amount.
Good luck,
Cheers,

Hugh

chrisbolen
United States of America

Post by chrisbolen » 08 Jan 2020 16:45

I'm reading this stuff is the consistency of honey? any tips on easiest ways to apply this damping grease? q-tip? small paintbrush?

Hugues TR4 wrote:
08 Jan 2020 16:40
Good luck,
Cheers,

Hugh

Hugues TR4
long player
long player
Belgium

Post by Hugues TR4 » 14 Jan 2020 19:40

I'm using a tooth pic.
Also, wear latex gloves when fiddling with silicone. It tends to stick to your fingers and can temporally reduce your sensation/prehension.
The whole operation is quite straightforward though.
Good luck,
Cheers,

Hugh