the home of the turntable

SL-1300 issues- tonearm setdown location, counterweight

turning japanese

SL-1300 issues- tonearm setdown location, counterweight

Postby jimkarl » 03 Nov 2017 08:02

Have two issues with this turntable

1) When started, the tonearm goes all the way to the center of the platter. There is a set down adjustment "screw" by the tonearm base (actually a metal plate with a screwdriver groove cut into it) but movement of this plate in any direction has zero effect - tonearm always goes to the center. I'm familiar with Duals and grease drying up causes a variety of problems, but haven't work on any technics internals. Is this is a similar issue where some part might be sticking or not releasing properly,m thus continuing to carry the tonearm across the platter? Anyone seen this issue before?

2) The counterweight spins completely loosely (e.g not on any groove). I found a small piece of plastic to be floating loose up inside the tonearm and with a shake it fell out. It appear to have the necessary "lip" on it to catch the groove of the counterweight. I might be able to superglue this back together IF I could find a way to get the back half of that tonearm off. But I can't figure it out. No screwdriver or hex wrench instead into to the back end seems to catch anything that would unscrew this piece. Even if super glue wouldn't hold, I still need to get that piece off to replace it - If there is even a replacement part available? Any ideas of how to remove this back half of tonearm when the counter weight sits and where a replacement part can be sourced?

IMG_6683-2.jpg
jimkarl

United States of America

Re: SL-1300 issues- tonearm setdown location, counterweight

Postby musicmn » 03 Nov 2017 23:27

Hi, the first issue with the tonearm swinging in and back to the rest stand is a very common issue with full auto turntables. There is and index lever that is used to help the tonearm set down in the correct spot depending on record size selected. The index lever in your turntable is frozen from old grease and probably the entire mechanism will need to be removed and all the old grease cleaned out. Then fresh grease applied as the mechanism is reassemble so everything will work correctly again. You might need to adjust the drop in point of the tonearm if you have turned the set down screw once you have everything assembled. You can use the custom Google search engine on this site to find related post to your issues. I have answered this question before and I did include pictures with those posts. As far as the tonearm stub I thought there was either a Phillips screw that held the stub on the tonearm or a 1.5 or 2.0 metric hex head bolt. I have a sl 1300 in for repair I'll take a look and get back to you unless someone else chimes in.
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby jimkarl » 04 Nov 2017 00:30

I found your post on the index lever. Thank you that will be very helpful! As for the tonearm stub, I tried a bunch of screwdriver and hex tools, but looking inside the back hole where the aux weight screws in. I never really saw any kind of bolt visible. If you find something let me know. Also if anyone knows if this stub is universal across multiple models that would be helpful too. I'm not holding a lot of faith that super glue will work here. Thanks!
jimkarl

United States of America

Postby jimkarl » 08 Nov 2017 01:12

musicmn wrote:Hi, the first issue with the tonearm swinging in and back to the rest stand is a very common issue with full auto turntables. There is and index lever that is used to help the tonearm set down in the correct spot depending on record size selected. The index lever in your turntable is frozen from old grease and probably the entire mechanism will need to be removed and all the old grease cleaned out. Then fresh grease applied as the mechanism is reassemble so everything will work correctly again. You might need to adjust the drop in point of the tonearm if you have turned the set down screw once you have everything assembled. You can use the custom Google search engine on this site to find related post to your issues. I have answered this question before and I did include pictures with those posts. As far as the tonearm stub I thought there was either a Phillips screw that held the stub on the tonearm or a 1.5 or 2.0 metric hex head bolt. I have a sl 1300 in for repair I'll take a look and get back to you unless someone else chimes in.

Any luck with identifying how to remove that stub?
jimkarl

United States of America

Postby musicmn » 09 Nov 2017 20:14

Hi, I just took the SL 1300 I have here a part and I also removed the tonearm so I could clean and add new damping fluid to the cue control. I looked that sub over and over and I do not see any screw hex head or otherwise. I believe that the metal stud in the center of the counter weight stub is whats holding the stub to the tonearm gimble. That stud is probably threaded into the gimble and technics liked to use thread lock on those screw. I don't think that the metal stud can be removed with out damaging the stub or the gimble. IMO will have to search for a new tonearm with the stub attached and undamaged to replace yours. Unfortunately I do not know if a tonearm from any other SL series full automatic turntable will work. Maybe someone else can chime in and help. Check ebay or a site called organdonorparts.com to see if a tonearm is for sale. Sorry I could not help any further. :(
musicmn
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Return to Technics