the home of the turntable

Technics SL-10 | Outputting only one channel

turning japanese

Technics SL-10 | Outputting only one channel

Postby MajorHewlitt » 25 Oct 2017 03:47

Alright, so I have an ongoing issue with my newly acquired SL-10 turntable that has thoroughly stumped me.

Basically, my turntable is only outputting the right audio channel 90% of the time. I say 90% because, I can reliably make the right channel return by playing tracks closer to the spindle, (at the end of the side) on LPs. This usually occurs by the second to last track. I am also able to play 45s 100% of the time with both channels working perfectly. I have never seen anything this bizarre.

The problem began after 2 or so hours of play after I first set it up. I should mention, the player is using the original EPS-310MC cartridge. It started with the left channel becoming slightly fuzzy very briefly, then returning. Then the channel began to cut out, and finally disappear but ONLY on LPs and only at the beginning of the record, and, as I said before, I can reliably play a track at the end of the side, or 45 single, and the channel outputs perfectly every time.

THINGS I'VE TRIED:

Bypassing the built in pre-amp.

Swapping the RCA output cables. The channel that IS outputting swaps, leading me to believe it may be a cartridge/tonearm issue(?)

Adjusting the stylus pressure per the service manual instructions to both min and max.

Removed and reinserted the cartridge.

TO DO:

Buy cheap p-mount cartridge to test.

I'm wondering if there are some adjustments to be made to the tonearm that may explain this behaviour. I simply cannot fathom why it would ONLY not output at the beginning of LPs but play fine at the end and on 45s. :?

Any help or insight greatly appreciated!
MajorHewlitt

United Kingdom

Re: Technics SL-10 | Outputting only one channel

Postby MajorHewlitt » 25 Oct 2017 20:12

Seems to have stumped people here too!

Plan B:

Anyone know any qualified service shops in the New England area (Or NY? I’m currently in Connecticut.
MajorHewlitt

United Kingdom

Postby 6L6 » 30 Oct 2017 17:00

Sounds like a tonearm wiring issue, the wire is getting stretched out at the beginning of the LP and making intermittent contact, and as the arm gets closer to the spindle, the wire touches again.

That's a guess, of course, but follows what you describe.

Do get a different cartridge to test. It's worth the chance.
6L6

United States of America

Postby MajorHewlitt » 08 Nov 2017 20:44

That would certainly make a lot of sense considering the way this tonenarm operates!

I'll be looking into it.

Thanks for the reply!
MajorHewlitt

United Kingdom

Return to Technics