the home of the turntable

Technics mk5 Pop up light

turning japanese

Technics mk5 Pop up light

Postby Melodize » 14 Oct 2017 15:10

Hi Folks,

Apologize if in the wrong section but my first noob post on this website and only recently started dabbling with electronics! I have searched multiple places on line for past posts but all seems to be geared towards the mk2 Technics which I know isn't all that different.

I recently picked up 2 x Technics MK5's which were a bit worse for wear! Managed to get one fully working again and replaced the pitchfader and tonearm. No problems so far.

Now the second turntable the pop up light wouldn't light up. Well it did until I turned off and started to smell faint smoke! I turned everything off and could see a resistor had blown. I replaced the resistor (R212) and to make sure there was nothing wrong with the main deck pcb board I swapped over the working light from the other turntable and it worked as it should so I know the issue was with the light itself.

Looking at the damaged light unit it looked like drink had been spilled or something had been poured over it as quite corroded all over the pcb board and the components on it. I was a fool to turn it on looking at it!

Anyways now with the replacement or repair.
Unfortunately with the MK5 its quite a different design with 2 resistors and a diode fixed to a pcb and the plug which goes to the board is slightly different fitting with a white plug rather than black which is on the mk2's.

In an ideal world it would be great to just buy a new switch, pcb board and resistors but I just can't find a replacement board to mount the other bits onto.

I have tried to find a a complete replacement MK5 light unit from various suppliers on ebay with no luck as yet as the easiest option.

I also tried using a working mk2 light unit instead and just swapped over the plug. Unfortunately that didn't work either! Can anyone confirm if they have tried this before and got working?

If anyone can give any advice would be a god send? Thanks in advance and looking forward to your reply's.
Melodize

United Kingdom

Re: Technics mk5 Pop up light

Postby tckmet » 14 Oct 2017 16:33

inquire at the KABUSA site Kevin may help/have a solution, he has many new parts for the technics 1200mk2/5 models. https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/
tckmet
contributor

United States of America

Postby Melodize » 14 Oct 2017 17:57

Thanks will give him a shout.
Melodize

United Kingdom

Postby Jorlsafar » 31 Oct 2017 21:05

I bought a pop-up light from these fellas: http://www.green-vinyl.com/en/targetlight-lamp.html

Fast and well packed. And reasonable shipping too :)
Jorlsafar

Return to Technics