the home of the turntable

Other great technics turntables

turning japanese

Other great technics turntables

Postby Technicslover70 » 12 Oct 2017 15:01

Does anyone know which other technics decks are as good or better than the 1200mk2....ive read somewhere that the likes of the 14/15/16/17/1800 mk2s were better sounding. Any others ? Obviously the sp series was a huge step up but are now very expensive.
Technicslover70

England

Re: Other great technics turntables

Postby BMRR » 12 Oct 2017 15:56

They're all great. :D

"Better" is difficult to define because different people have different needs or different requirements. For example, if you need a fully automatic turntable, the SL-1600 Mk2 would be better than the SL-1200 Mk2. And I seriously doubt that anyone could hear any audible difference between them. If you don't need or don't want an automatic turntable, the SL-1200 Mk2 would be better. The buyer's decision should be based on which features they want or need. ALL of the turntables in that series are capable of outstanding sound quality.
What do dance clubs and classical radio stations have in common? Technics Direct Drive.™
BMRR
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby VinylDan1 » 12 Oct 2017 18:28

They really are the same table, just with different features. They all have the same drive system, and pretty much the same tonearm. Some of them have suspension. Something interesting, most of the Technics quartz direct drive tables have the same ratings and specifications, from the p-mounts to the SL-1XXX series.
VinylDan1

United States of America

Postby analogaudio » 12 Oct 2017 19:08

For a quick reference guide to the model differences see the "sticky" at the top of the page

For a list of the models with specs and prices see www.vintagetechnics.co.uk
Ted

Technics SL1600mk2, Ortofon VMS30, modified TEAC AH500 as a preamp, Bryston 4B ST amp, Harbeth M40 speakers, all making musical magic :-)
analogaudio
long player
long player
contributor

United States of America

Postby johnnywalker » 12 Oct 2017 20:37

When comparing the SL-1200 to the SL-1X00 Mk II series, something to keep in mind is that the SL-1X00 Mk II series tables are not as well isolated from ambient vibration as the SL-1200. I know, because I have an SL-1200 M3D and an SL-1800 Mk II. With the SL-1800 Mk II I try to be very careful not to touch the surface on which it sits, in order not to create artifacts in the sound. Otherwise, I think they present identical sound and performance.
johnnywalker

United States of America

Postby KentT » 31 Oct 2017 16:48

Technicslover70 wrote:Does anyone know which other technics decks are as good or better than the 1200mk2....ive read somewhere that the likes of the 14/15/16/17/1800 mk2s were better sounding. Any others ? Obviously the sp series was a huge step up but are now very expensive.

The SP series are the best. SL-1100, SL-110 and SL 120 armless models the next down, then the SL-1200 in it's models. The SL consumer high end models are excellent but not quite to those levels. The automatic and more complex models while nice, are not quite to that level (the 1400, 1500, 1600 and 1700). The SL 1800 is also worthy. The simpler manual and semi automatic models in that line are very worth your consideration. Do bear in mind the digital pitch control equipped models do have the same issues sometimes that the SP-15 does. So, I'd go simpler. On a full automatic, the SL-1600 first model is especially nice. On the non SL-1200 models, parts in some cases and support harder to find (Technics doesn't have parts, except what crosses to the SL-1200 Mk II and up)
KentT
long player
long player

Postby anmpr1 » 31 Oct 2017 22:35

KentT wrote: The SP series are the best. SL-1100, SL-110 and SL 120 armless models the next down, then the SL-1200 in it's models.

All the SP models, and the SL, too, are limited by their bases. The original SP 10 could be had in a wooden base. This was a wrongheaded solution to record playback, but was very common, back then. I owned a Denon DP-75 with a wood base that was similar to what Technics was offering, and that was its Achilles heel. You see, wood is typically quite resonant; that's why they make guitars and violins out of wood. In fact, my lowly DP-30 with its concrete-like resin base sounded better than my DP-75 with its large wooden base. The Kenwood 500 series turntable with its marble-like base was another cheap, but effective solution.

The later SP-10Mk2 bases were more substantial, but some found even those too "live." To solve the issue, Mitch Cotter devised a heavy mass loaded laminate base to which he mounted either an SP-10 or DP-80, both stripped of their aluminum housings. The thing was quite ugly, but for those that heard it, quite effective in isolating the table from feedback and vibrations. Sao Win used a spring loaded system (similar to the one used in the the Oracle table--some say the Oracle design was "stolen" from Win--an act of industrial espionage) in order to isolate his SP-10 derived SEC-10 turntable.

The original SL-110/1100 chassis was better than the SP-10 wooden base, but still not very effectively damped. The platter is larger, but only damped at the top, by the mat. It features a hollow aluminum chassis on what feels like rubberized plastic. I own one, and it is not nearly as solid as my Mk5 SL-1200.

Actually, the later 1200s are too resonant from a purist's standpoint. However, because it is basically a sound design, it can be helped by isolation, away from stray acoustic vibrations. Placing it on a very solid, high mass foundation, etc. High mass was the Micro Seiki solution, and can be readily adapted to any turntable by way of external additions, as needed. As I mentioned elsewhere, IMO the KAB arm damper is a necessary addition. KAB also sells some footers that are probably useful. At least I would expect as much. The latest and greatest SL-1200 GAE has more springy feet to address this potential problem.
anmpr1

United States of America

Return to Technics