the home of the turntable

My new SL-1401 Garage Sale special....

turning japanese

My new SL-1401 Garage Sale special....

Postby Outposter30 » 13 Sep 2017 22:23

I recently picked up an SL-1401 for 20 bucks at a garage sale. While I had my concerns given the low price, I figures I couldn't lose in the deal.

After getting it home, I cleaned it up and took a closer look. It came with an old Shure R27ED and Shure RS6E cartridge from back in the vintage Realistic days.

After some quick tests for the usual problem according to internet searches, I cleaned it up and added some 300Kwt silicone oil to the damping piston which solved a fast drop issue.

I then let it run at 33 for an hour, then at 45 for an hour, all with no problems with speed or noise.

I did have to adjust the return control, as it had been effectively shut off, and it works fine now.

However, while doing further tests, on occasion I found that the arm return function would engage immediately while I was trying to place the arm on the first track of a test record. The return was normal, the cartridge raised and lowered properly as though I had pushed to stop button.

It kinda confirmed my suspicions that someone, at some time long ago, had been inside for some reason, possibly a simple bearing lube, and re-engaged the mechanisms incorrectly.

After going through the pots and connectors with a good quality no residue contact cleaner, and some needed lubricant where I could see there had been some, I rotated the spindle several times, and the return mechanism kicked in, much to my surprise.

Through trial and error, I began to understand the circumstances required for this to occur, and finally ran the return mechanism through what should be a normal cycle. After turning the spindle a few hundred times by hand to ensure normal return operations, I replaced the platter.

Now it has returned to normal manual start and automatic return and stop
operation.

I'll be comparing it to my Lenco idle drive soon.
Outposter30

Canada

Re: My new SL-1401 Garage Sale special....

Postby Alec124c41 » 13 Sep 2017 22:28

Nice score, and good work.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby vinyl master » 13 Sep 2017 22:44

OK, Outposter30...If you've been on this web site long enough, you know the drill...Pics and a post here, since it was $20 and qualifies for inclusion into the club...

viewtopic.php?t=88346

And if you have any trouble, let us know...We're used to this stuff! :wink:

Fan-tas-tic score by the way!!! :mrgreen: =D>
vinyl master
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby Outposter30 » 13 Sep 2017 23:17

Well, my trusty old digital died recently, and I have no cell phone, so I'll have to see what I can do...I have other bargains, like my Lenco and bunch of other stuff from auctions, garage sales and 2nd hand shops...Only my speakers, which I bought new at a RS close-out, cost me over 100.00....CDN$ that is....!
Outposter30

Canada

Postby Outposter30 » 18 Sep 2017 16:57

Well I did manage to borrow a cheap digital camera, so here are some pics of my SL-1401 garage sale special...It came with the R27ED cartridge and RS-6e stylus, the original Technics brush and a vintage Carbon fibre brush with it's own holder...There is a small scratch on the front panel as shown, as well as an ID number inscribed at the top left of the front panel...All for 20 bucks...
Attachments
DSC00705.JPG
DSC00700.JPG
DSC00703.JPG
DSC00701.JPG
DSC00706.JPG
Outposter30

Canada

Postby Outposter30 » 18 Sep 2017 20:51

P.S.....I did add some 300Kwt silicone oil to the cueing piston, but only enough to increase the drop time to about 2.5 seconds...It's not easy to find a general purpose syringe with a needle big enough to pass the oil and be small enough to insert into the piston opening. Further, the body of the "oiler" must be robust enough to withstand the stress and pressures required to force the oil through the narrow needle...!

I also corrected a misalignment in the arm return mechanism and set the arm return properly. I also added some white lithium or 3 in 1 electric motor oil as needed.
It is now without doubt the quietest turntable I've ever had or used, and I can also say that it plays very well after A=B comparisons with my Vintage Lenco B52 with a vintage Empire 2000e/1 nude elliptical stylus.

Since this unit obviously sat unused for a long time, can I expect a break-in period for the cartridge and stylus...?
Outposter30

Canada

Postby Van_Isle » 20 Sep 2017 05:51

Good score!

My 1st turntable I purchased, when I got back into vinyl, was a SL-1401 ... for about $25 I think. Funny .... mine had a scratch in almost the same spot! Now if I could only remember why the heck I sold it!
Van_Isle
long player
long player
contributor

Canada

Postby tckmet » 20 Sep 2017 08:39

Technics and other Japanese DD Quartz lock TT Man, very good find jealous! Enjoy!
tckmet
contributor

United States of America

Return to Technics