Technics SL QD22 cueing damper issue

turning japanese
mrsnak

Technics SL QD22 cueing damper issue

Post by mrsnak » 17 Apr 2017 18:02

I realized that this was a better thread for my issue. Cueing damper has lost most of the fluid, and it appears that I need to disassemble the entire tonearm to get at it. I had the plate off the assembly, and the damper is buried underneath. The piston is accessible, but currently appears to leak. Would it be worth it to refill?

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j284/ ... G_2012.jpg

VinylDan1
United States of America

Re: Technics SL QD22 cueing damper issue

Post by VinylDan1 » 18 Apr 2017 19:39

How hard/fast is it dropping. I have a QD33, my repair guy refilled it and it still drops pretty quick, I think it is normal for these tables. I have no guidance how to do it, he did it and it looked pretty complicated, but he did it quickly.

mrsnak

Post by mrsnak » 18 Apr 2017 20:01

It drops pretty fast. Technics uses a 200K, I've heard to use a 500K. Did you watch him do it? Did he have to pull the entire tonearm out from the bottom?

musicmn
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by musicmn » 19 Apr 2017 00:48

Hi, there is no reason to remove the tonearm. But you will need to disassemble most if not all of the mechanism up near the tonearm. Then you will need to remove the black tonearm elevator from the top of the deck to pull the rod out from the bottom. The silicone damping fluid goes on that rod. I have done a couple of these types of decks over the last couple of yrs. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of how it's done. Once you have the rod out clean it with alcohol and spread a small amount on the rod where the ring indents are. If there are no ring indents then spread the fluid near the top of the rod. Then put the rod back in and push it up and down and twist it if you can. This will spread the fluid evenly around the rod and inside the cylinder. Assemble the mechanism just enough to test the drop rate of the tonearm with the cartridge attached. If it's dropping to slow or to fast you will need to disassemble it again and add or remove the damping fluid and try it again. I hope this helps.

Melos Antropon

Post by Melos Antropon » 19 Apr 2017 01:12

musicmn wrote:Hi, there is no reason to remove the tonearm. But you will need to disassemble most if not all of the mechanism up near the tonearm. Then you will need to remove the black tonearm elevator from the top of the deck to pull the rod out from the bottom. The silicone damping fluid goes on that rod. I have done a couple of these types of decks over the last couple of yrs. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of how it's done. Once you have the rod out clean it with alcohol and spread a small amount on the rod where the ring indents are. If there are no ring indents then spread the fluid near the top of the rod. Then put the rod back in and push it up and down and twist it if you can. This will spread the fluid evenly around the rod and inside the cylinder. Assemble the mechanism just enough to test the drop rate of the tonearm with the cartridge attached. If it's dropping to slow or to fast you will need to disassemble it again and add or remove the damping fluid and try it again. I hope this helps.
Good advice, but I implore you not to go from 200 to 500 - you'll be able to go out for coffee before it touches the record. 200 to 300 should do the trick. BTW: I have an SL-QD35 (I believe it's the exact same cueing damper setup), and the drop is a little quicker than some, but certainly not fast enough to be dangerous to your records or stylus.

Tony

mrsnak

Post by mrsnak » 19 Apr 2017 17:41

musicmn wrote:But you will need to disassemble most if not all of the mechanism up near the tonearm. Then you will need to remove the black tonearm elevator from the top of the deck to pull the rod out from the bottom.
I can pull off the plate from the back and see the rod/piston, but not sure what else needs to be removed. As for the top side, there is only an adjustment screw on top of the elevator. Does this also hold it in place?

JonDeAntioch
United States of America

Post by JonDeAntioch » 18 Feb 2019 00:22

Hi,

I am very new to his amazing forum. I kept reading posts but never really wrote, so this is my first.

I think I have the same issue, it drops down and rises up with a thrusting clonk sound. It does drop slowly as it should. But I feel like the cue lever needs dampening. Can I just unscrew the lever and inject silicon? Or do I really need to disassemble a lot of parts? Could you please help me with this? I'd appreciate pictures or a youtube link maybe? Maybe a how to do video on a similar model?

Thanks