the home of the turntable

SL -B2 Hear Only Faintly

turning japanese

SL -B2 Hear Only Faintly

Postby jabuchanan » 19 Mar 2017 01:15

I just found up in my attic a Technics SL B-2 I got at a yard sale 10 years ago or so. I have tried to hook it up to two different receivers and all I get is faintly heard music from the TT. Nothing is being amplified by the receivers. I have made sure all the tape monitors buttons are off and the grounding wire is grounded. I have made sure the red and white plugs are securely plugged. I can even disconnect it from the receiver entirely and still hear the music,,,albeit faintly, and though faint seems accurate. I normally have an SL 10 hooked up to the 2nd receiver so I know the receiver is not the problem. What could be the problem?
jabuchanan

United States of America

Re: SL -B2 Hear Only Faintly

Postby Alec124c41 » 20 Mar 2017 17:23

The best tool to use is a digital multi-meter. You can probably get one for 10 to 20 dollars.
The connections between the cartridge and the RCA plugs must be continuous. There are several points where there might be a problem, such as the internal wire right behind the RCA plugs getting broken by the previous owner shoving the receiver against the wall, and bending them too often.
The meter allows you to positively identify the problem area, without having to guess.
Headshell - RCA plugs
Red wire - Right center
Green - right skirt
White - left center
Blue - left skirt
The contacts between the headshell and the tonearm might need cleaning. A shot of contact/control cleaner, and the eraser on a pencil, will serve nicely.
The clips on the headshell wires might need a shot of the same, and a bit of movement.
It is also possible to check the cartridge. the resistance across the pins of each channel should read several hundred Ohms, closely matched.

Cheers,
Alec
Keep them spinning.
Alec124c41
vinyl engineer
vinyl engineer

Canada

Postby jabuchanan » 21 Mar 2017 04:43

Thanks tons.
jabuchanan

United States of America

Postby SpeakerMania » 21 Mar 2017 18:18

Just a short observation.....being that you can hear the music (albeit faintly) even when not connected to the receiver does indicate no significant issues with the actual cartridge or stylus. As Alex opined,it is likely a contact issue,which a careful disassembly,cleaning, re-connect should remedy. Hope it is an easy fix! :?
If you aren't part of the solution,
then you are part of the problem.
SpeakerMania

Canada

Postby jabuchanan » 22 Mar 2017 01:25

Good news, thanks. Was not able to get to it today, but will soon. Have a good one. I'll let all know the results when accomplished.
jabuchanan

United States of America

Postby jabuchanan » 06 Apr 2017 04:34

Okay, I am back. Just to make sure it was not an easily replaced item, I changed cartridges and I did order and receive a small preamp. As suggested above, those aren't the problem. So now I need to explore all possible locations where there likely could be a contact issue. Will update as soon as I have accomplished.
jabuchanan

United States of America

Postby jabuchanan » 07 Apr 2017 03:32

Update. I bought a cheap multimeter at Harbor Freight and started testing for continuity. Was good between cartridge and head. Took off the bottom of the TT so to access both ends of RCA wires/plugs. Did not get continuity in either one. Took them off and will attempt to solder another set on tomorrow. Think, as suggested above by Alec, that this might just be the culprit. Will let you know when it is back together.
jabuchanan

United States of America

Return to Technics