Technics SL-J2 EPS-30ES replacement

turning japanese
Gmoe

Technics SL-J2 EPS-30ES replacement

Post by Gmoe » 06 Feb 2017 16:20

Hi Folks,

New to the forum and excited on the journey back to vinyl. I picked up a Technics SL-J2 direct drive turntable this past weekend. The previous owner said the cartridge was just replaced with a Shure ME94P but after playing records all day the needle bent when I was trying to brush off some dust. :?

It sounds like if I go back to the original specs I need to replace the stylus with the EPS-30ES but when I do an ebay search there's a real difference in price and I would probably need a new cartridge at that point.

JICOT4P version: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-JICO-T4P-Elli ... SwyKxXhtw6

Needledaddy1 version: http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEREO-RECORD-N ... XQqfZRn3Zo

If I stick with the Shure ME94P cartridge what would be a good stylus that I could replace with it? I am hoping folks can steer me better in the right direction.

Thanks in advance!

Gmoe

Erin1

Re: Technics SL-J2 EPS-30ES replacement

Post by Erin1 » 07 Feb 2017 02:47

The Jico stylus has an elliptical tip which should sound better than the cheaper Needledaddy conical stylus. If you search ebay a bit more you can find a single Jico elliptical. You dont need to buy two at once.

wualta

Post by wualta » 07 Feb 2017 07:22

Shure currently makes only one stylus suited to the J2 and the Me94P cartridge, and that's the red N92E. It's a basic elliptical, not very sophisticated, but also not expensive, and it's easily available. It will get your turntable up and running.

Online vendor LPGear still sells original N104E styli for $50 + ship. The N104E isn't as good as the violet N94E stylus that came on your Me94P, but it's better than the N92E.

Then there's the aftermarket. EVG distributes a decent version of the N104E stylus to various online vendors, and the cost will be around $25 shipped. There are fancier options as well, at higher cost (of course).

Though it's not at all necessary to get the EPC-30ES cartridge for the turntable to meet its specs, Technics made some very interesting cartridges for their p-mount turntables, and we can discuss those cartridges separately.

Ctalcroft
United States of America

Post by Ctalcroft » 20 Jul 2019 22:00

New to this forum and I can’t see any way to search for past threads, so forgive me if I’m asking a question that’s already been asked, but I have a Technics SL-J2 Turn table that I bought two years ago. Still works just fine but I want to put a better cartridge and stylus on it. I’ve replaced the stylus before several times. This is dead easy. The stylus simply slips off and you push a new one in. This time, however, I want to replace the entire cartridge with a better one. I can’t see, though, how you remove the cartridge in order to plug-in a new one. Can anyone enlightened me or point me to a video, etc., that might show how to do this?

Thank you

Sunwire
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by Sunwire » 20 Jul 2019 23:35

The best deal in a p-mount cartridge for these turntables is this one on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDIO-TECHNICA ... c875f34dd6

If the link doesn't work, search for "Audio Technica AT450 Universal" on ebay.
It has a nude-mounted diamond stylus on a thin walled aluminum cantilever.
To get something else that's as good or better, you would need to spend twice as much or more.
This should sound better than the EPS-p30ES even with the Jico elliptical stylus.
Disassembly.jpg
(57.58 KiB) Downloaded 26 times

mihalistr

Post by mihalistr » 28 Jul 2019 16:28

P-mount cartridges are very easy to remove. They are held in place by one screw which is on the side of the cartridge. You have to remove the screw all the way out (you can leave it in the threads), as the screw holds the cartridge in place at two points (both sides of the cartridge). On some Technics turntables, the screw is not a flat head or phillips, but rather a larger screw that can be undone by hand, without a screwdriver. Once undone, the cartridge just pulls straight out. Be careful not to damage the cantilever...