Technics SL15 Random Stops?

turning japanese
tommypenngotti

Re: Technics SL15 Random Stops?

Post by tommypenngotti » 26 Jan 2017 17:06

Pieter- so your SL 15 works properly other than the random auto stop issue ? The indexing has always been a little shaky on these units .

I'm determined to find someone to repair this issue!

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 26 Jan 2017 19:01

pieter_567 wrote:Hi,
......snippage.......
However, someone in this thread mentioned to 'stop' button as possible source of agony. After the fail with the mains filter, I tried pushing in the stop button like 20 times in a row (to get it going....). I'm not sure how this button works internally, but there's surely mechanics involved. I would'nt dare to take it apart though. Not definite proof, but managed to play the failing record for an hour with only on return to home. Will try again later
That would be me....... :wink:

This is an aside as the internal workings of these buttons (electrical contact on PCB by conductive membrane) have become the basis of most all hand held remote controllers......... :-k :-k :-k

Had a DigitalStream DTV conversion box with remote that would just not respond........ ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) EVEN pressing the buttons as HARD as I could........ [-X :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gave up and broke into the remote to see WTF would / could go wrong...... :-k :-k :-k Really just batteries, broken IR beam / light. Light works, can see with your phone / digital camera. Turns out the membrane oozes some kind of VOC slime and the circuit board contacts were covered with this almost "grease". A quick swab with IPA and all is removed, board cleaned and back to controlling the box.

Older membranes are probably more stable and thus have lasted 30+ years w/o degradation / off gassing........ :-k :-k :-k Just putting this out there for thought.

HTH

Fred and think about the fog that forms on the inside of your car windshield and microwaving your leftovers in plastic containers........ :wink: :wink: I'm definitely no "wiz" bordering on insanity...... :wink:

pieter_567

Post by pieter_567 » 27 Jan 2017 09:27

Yes it's working fine for the rest, but I don't use the indexing much actually. But when I do, it works fine.
tommypenngotti wrote:Pieter- so your SL 15 works properly other than the random auto stop issue ? The indexing has always been a little shaky on these units .

I'm determined to find someone to repair this issue!

pieter_567

Post by pieter_567 » 27 Jan 2017 09:28

Thanks fscl!
fscl wrote:
That would be me....... :wink:

Turns out the membrane oozes some kind of VOC slime and the circuit board contacts were covered with this almost "grease". A quick swab with IPA and all is removed, board cleaned and back to controlling the box.

Older membranes are probably more stable and thus have lasted 30+ years w/o degradation / off gassing........ :-k :-k :-k Just putting this out there for thought.

pieter_567

Post by pieter_567 » 02 May 2018 15:49

I'm using my SL15 a lot again without any problems. So the issue was in the off button. I didn't service it, just pushed it in a couple of times every time I use the player. I love this SL15!

tommypenngotti

Post by tommypenngotti » 11 Jul 2018 22:59

Funny , I have finally purchased another one from an owner off eBay that said "completely functional ....doing the exact same thing , auto stopping randomly, The trouble shooter section in the manual says it's not a player malfunction but due to "a voltage drop in the AC mains supply due to lightning of other damage". Hard to believe I have so many voltage drops in the grid.. & not indexing correctly, did a 6 track LP and it got 5 , skipped track 2 (which I've heard other people in this forum have same problem) One other time it indexed all 6 correctly , so intermittent #-o

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 13 Jul 2018 14:29

tommypenngotti wrote:Funny , I have finally purchased another one from an owner off eBay that said "completely functional ....doing the exact same thing , auto stopping randomly, The trouble shooter section in the manual says it's not a player malfunction but due to "a voltage drop in the AC mains supply due to lightning of other damage". Hard to believe I have so many voltage drops in the grid.. & not indexing correctly, did a 6 track LP and it got 5 , skipped track 2 (which I've heard other people in this forum have same problem) One other time it indexed all 6 correctly , so intermittent #-o
Auto stopping, meaning tonearm just stopping on top of the LP...... :-k :-k :-k

Or auto rejecting........ :-k :-k :-k

Perhaps not a voltage drop in mains but a dodgy power supply...... :-k :-k :-k

Indexing is another issue, it sounds like your new unit may be detecting OK, just missing / miss counting a thin song separator.

Good luck

Fred and loved my full size QL-15 gifted to a friend....... :)

tommypenngotti

Post by tommypenngotti » 15 Jul 2018 22:45

The arm will lift off LP & return to start position ...no play , I put a surge protector in between , seems to help , but I just got an auto return just today! This is my 3rd SL15 with this issue...Im now looking at another :(

The indexing isn't that big of a deal , I'd simply just like LPs to start / play and auto return at end of side ...so aggravating :x

thanks for your reply !

Allyn
United States of America

Post by Allyn » 16 Jul 2018 01:42

I have a SL-10 and it does not like 180 or 200 gram LP, not all but most. The thin vinyl from the 70's and 80's play good. I've always felt it was the heavy lp's causing the issue.

tommypenngotti

Post by tommypenngotti » 16 Jul 2018 04:03

interesting ....I haven't noticed any particular vinyl causing this issue ....happens on old LPs from 70s and 180G as well....thanks

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 16 Jul 2018 06:09

fscl's comment brought to mind something I know at least improves the tracking of my two linear turntables. Since they utilize a led light source for the tracking and indexing, it is important to NOT have bright light of any type shining down on the record while playing. Reflected light confuses the led and results in incorrect signals being sent to the electronics. Particularly wide gaps, too reflective gaps may combine with reflected light to send a signal that the side is over or no songs following on the side, resulting in a rejection request being sent to the control board memory. I have a goose neck light to assist in changing albums, but play them in relative darkness. I have zero complaints such as those mentioned. Sometimes small changes yield big results. Cheers!

tommypenngotti

Post by tommypenngotti » 16 Jul 2018 08:59

thanks! Yes I've heard this before about light not good w/ sensors...unfortunately I've had the auto stop issue with no light near SL-15.....I found a guy in Russia who has a mint unit I may try again....I think eventually I'll have them all :D

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 16 Jul 2018 19:07

How does the "Stop/clear" button feel in relation to say the "Start" button, does the spring back of the button feel weak compared to the "Start" button ?

I really think the "Stop" button is initiating / making contact somehow and causing / fooling the turntable to reject.

What happens when you just press 1 of the programming buttons and the "Start" button, will it play through the 1 programmed selection and auto reject.

Does the pressing , pressing and holding the "Stop" and "Start" initiate the 2 speed cue function of the tonearm in both directions.

Fred

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 16 Jul 2018 20:53

In the interest of getting this unit working properly, and adding to the information base for linear turntables, I want to emphasize the importance of a fresh belt for the carriage sled motor, running on a clean pulley, and the use of an effective lubricant on the sled guide rod as pointed out by others here. The use of a light, low friction lubricant is critical...any lube that is too thick will only put unnecessary pressure on the drive mechanism, and may produce exactly the symptoms you are experiencing. The control units for these turntables are sensitive to such resistence, but extremely effective when all the proper procedures of setup have been completed. Additionally, earlier comments regarding the delicate nature and expensive route to setting up of modern "air" linears have little to do with these earlier and very high quality linear turntables. In many ways, apples v.s. oranges. The technicians and designers knew what they were doing when they created the genre. :D

tommypenngotti

Post by tommypenngotti » 17 Jul 2018 01:18

so here's my test :

I have (2) SL 15's -
SL-15 #1 I believe to be the better of the 2 , however , they both have repeatedly pulled the auto stop maneuver...#2 more so

SL-15 #1 - both start / stop function buttons work flawlessly , no sticky, hard to depress buttons , both speeds slow / fast move perfect left and right .
I programmed track #1 , it played fine and auto stopped after play.

SL-15 #2 - Start < works well in slow movement , when I depress more to get << it is very difficult and I have to press very hard to get an intermittent << . Stop works fine in both directions.
I programmed track #1 , it played fine , however , just kept playing into track #2...auto stopped after #2 ...so something not right there.

The belt was replaced a year ago and TT was lubed by my buddy who has been working on electronic devices since age 7. My question is how could 2 random SL-15s be having the same exact issue...surge protector doesn't help...no light on SL15 .
:roll: