Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

turning japanese
pklshpu
junior member
junior member
Posts: 18
Joined: 07 Aug 2014 22:58

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by pklshpu » 20 Feb 2018 10:54

I wonder if a New Old Stock of SFW0010 would keep the properties it once had 30-40 years ago. I'm not say it doesn't, it's just a doubt that's been bugging me (I know nothing about it).

Also, what effect one might expect by using the SFW0010 (or Anderol 465, supposing they're equivalent) on the spindle at every 2,000 hours? Is it a matter of avoiding wow & flutter beyond manual specs, or is it to prevent motor noise?

About wow & flutter x SFW0010... I had the opportunity to use some Technics TT Models, like SL-1800MK2, SL-10, SL-Q30, SL-QX300. Though many users say they have their strobe "dead on", at least with those models I was fortunate to use personally, whenever I took a real close look, I could see the strobe dots/bars were never absolutely static, it was never as if the motor was off and the dots/bars "dead" stationary. There was always some sort of slow discreet "dancing" both sides (not to a single side alone, I know that would mean wrong speed). Like a subtle movement to the right and a compensating subtle movement to the left (less subtle on some units, but still subtle). Does it mean those units were lacking oil, or that's absolutely normal?

I've seen youtube videos with these dots moving a little back and a little forth, just like the models I've used:
The extraordinary SP-10 mkII (check 0'23'' and elsewhere).
https://youtu.be/p54-l5XUR88
Sl-Q300 (check at 5'30'')
https://youtu.be/Rmgfn2yfoaM
Sl-M3
https://youtu.be/Rrmrz9hBCXs

There's even something like that on an fresh new the SL-1200 G model (by the time this video was published, the model could not have more than 4 months of use! Check around 3'10''):
https://youtu.be/qY9YYkqW8ng

Does this have anything to do with bearing oil or any sort of malfunction?

JaS
engine room
engine room
Posts: 11261
Joined: 12 Feb 2002 16:32

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by JaS » 20 Feb 2018 11:26

pklshpu wrote:I could see the strobe dots/bars were never absolutely static, it was never as if the motor was off and the dots/bars "dead" stationary
If the marks on the platter aren't drifting continually left or right then the speed is correct.

Any 'wobble' is down to minute differences in the width/spacing of the strobe marks on the platter.

pklshpu
junior member
junior member
Posts: 18
Joined: 07 Aug 2014 22:58

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by pklshpu » 21 Feb 2018 00:24

JaS wrote:
pklshpu wrote:I could see the strobe dots/bars were never absolutely static, it was never as if the motor was off and the dots/bars "dead" stationary
If the marks on the platter aren't drifting continually left or right then the speed is correct.

Any 'wobble' is down to minute differences in the width/spacing of the strobe marks on the platter.
Thank you very much for the answer. I confess I was getting a little nuts with that lately, so then I thought lack of lubricants might have something to do with it. That's the kind of thing that the more you pay attention to, the more intrigued you get.

I went as far as ripping the same small fragment of an album coming from the SL-10 and coming from the SL-QX300 (both using Behringer U-phono), and then I synced and mixed both samples using Sound Forge (SL-10 would be left channel, SL-QX300 would be right channel). Speed differences were negligible, I suppose: if my math was right, after 6.839 seconds, the SL-10 was one thousandth of a second ahead of the SL-QX300, so approximately 0,014% faster. I don't know if I repeated the experiment the results would be the same, maybe the next time the SL-QX300 would be ahead, supposing that two decks operating theoretically with 0.025% wow & flutter each would always lead to slightly different results.

But anyway, I suppose a few drops of SFW0010 would not change the "back and forth" effect, once, as you put it, there's nothing really going on as long as there is no drifting. The width/spacing of the strobe marks being part of the issue never crossed my mind, and I must say it makes a lot of sense to me. I suppose any insignificant difference would create the effect.

Thanks!

-ray7
junior member
junior member
United States of America
Posts: 5
Joined: 08 Mar 2019 13:19

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by -ray7 » 27 Sep 2019 20:54

I use Singer sewing machine oil. No complaint. Last ya another 25 years.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11253
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by cafe latte » 28 Sep 2019 01:38

JDJX wrote:
14 Jun 2016 04:53
FWIW....
I use this oil for my Thorens and Pioneer spindle bearings and its great for them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Liquid-Bearings ... Swl9BWJSr0

In fact fact, I just re-oiled my Thorens bearing 18 months after I first used that oil...... and the bearing and the oil looked great. Personally, I will not use anything else after using this. :)
What is it though and what spec? This is the problem with 're bottled products this could be literally anything. I would strongly advise against products like this. Technics need iso 68 detergent free so compressor oils of this weight are ideal and cheap, or buy a small bottle of Anderoil from Kab.
Chris

lenjack
long player
long player
Posts: 2028
Joined: 23 Jun 2017 02:11
Location: Liverpool,PA

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by lenjack » 28 Sep 2019 01:50

You can't determine w&f from the appearance of the strobe.

AsOriginallyRecorded
senior member
senior member
Canada
Posts: 862
Joined: 26 Jun 2018 06:05

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 28 Sep 2019 03:16

Japi, excellent question, and apparently, no, all the "degreed" members on the site cannot actually offer a simple, clear and relevant answer to your/our questions regarding suitable oils for Technics turntables. LOL..So far, this question has only deteriorated into the equivalent of a high school debate, with all sides convinced they are right and trying to convince everyone else of the fact. I would like to ask if anyone can produce any clear evidence that Technics ever said that any other brand of oil other than Anderol 465 was going to destroy your platter bearing. More than likely Anderol was the oil of choice at the moment and a business relationship more than an absolute declaration. It would seem there has to be a reasonably wide range of possible substitutes, given that there would be little guarantee at the time that Anderol would even be around in 5 or 10 years after the manufacture of the relative turntables. Name brand associations aside, and given that the experiences of many users over a long period of time must be accorded credence, maybe it is time for an agreement and consensus on what may be considered acceptable products to use as lubrication for platter turntable bearings. Egos and advertising hype aside if possible, thank you. #-o

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11253
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by cafe latte » 28 Sep 2019 04:48

AsOriginallyRecorded wrote:
28 Sep 2019 03:16
Japi, excellent question, and apparently, no, all the "degreed" members on the site cannot actually offer a simple, clear and relevant answer to your/our questions regarding suitable oils for Technics turntables. LOL..So far, this question has only deteriorated into the equivalent of a high school debate, with all sides convinced they are right and trying to convince everyone else of the fact. I would like to ask if anyone can produce any clear evidence that Technics ever said that any other brand of oil other than Anderol 465 was going to destroy your platter bearing. More than likely Anderol was the oil of choice at the moment and a business relationship more than an absolute declaration. It would seem there has to be a reasonably wide range of possible substitutes, given that there would be little guarantee at the time that Anderol would even be around in 5 or 10 years after the manufacture of the relative turntables. Name brand associations aside, and given that the experiences of many users over a long period of time must be accorded credence, maybe it is time for an agreement and consensus on what may be considered acceptable products to use as lubrication for platter turntable bearings. Egos and advertising hype aside if possible, thank you. #-o
Anderol was the original Technics oil. Can other brands be used? Of course, all you need is same spec. The clearance of the bearing needs a particular weight of oil for the film not to break down. You need an oil that does not absorb water and with no additives to hold crud in suspension and synthetic of course is better. This can be achieved with a range of compressor oils, hydrolic oils and machine oils.
Chris

lenjack
long player
long player
Posts: 2028
Joined: 23 Jun 2017 02:11
Location: Liverpool,PA

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by lenjack » 28 Sep 2019 15:02

Most of us just happen to be comfortable with the original spec oil. It's inexpensive enough that nobody will go broke using it, and it should last a lifetime, unless you have a hundred turntables.