Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

turning japanese
jjones3
member
member
Posts: 60
Joined: 13 Feb 2011 05:38
Location: New York, NY

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by jjones3 » 25 Jul 2015 13:57

fastal007 wrote:Guys and Japi, Hydraulic oil is designed for high pressure apps and hygroscopic (adsorbs water) defo no no...!
Gearbox oil ie EP oil is high viscosity and will force the bearings to drag in the carrier, defo no no...!
ISO 68 is equivalent to SAE W20 Mineral Oil or Fully Synthetic (can also be Silicon based.
That's why I suggested Castrol Edge, SAE 5/W30 wil give an average of ISO 68 or SAE W20 and is fully Synthetic with anti corrosion properties and will maintain the correct viscosity regardless of temperature.
I've heard you want a non-detergent oil, as the detergents are designed to suspend particles so they may be flushed from the system and captured in the oil filter. In this application, having suspended particles will only serve to wear surfaces.

fastal007
member
member
Posts: 129
Joined: 03 Mar 2013 10:30
Location: Alicante, Spain

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by fastal007 » 25 Jul 2015 15:32

jjones3, go to Castrol Edge Properties,it will state that Edge Technology has a disolved molecula form of Titanium that will cover the bearings and prevent adhesion of micro particules, you want these particules in suspension so they don't circulate in the critical areas of the bearings.
Plus the load on the Technics bearings is very low so there will be (hopefully....!) very few particules drifting aboutin the bearing case.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11256
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by cafe latte » 25 Jul 2015 22:12

fastal007 wrote:jjones3, go to Castrol Edge Properties,it will state that Edge Technology has a disolved molecula form of Titanium that will cover the bearings and prevent adhesion of micro particules, you want these particules in suspension so they don't circulate in the critical areas of the bearings.
Plus the load on the Technics bearings is very low so there will be (hopefully....!) very few particules drifting aboutin the bearing case.
No you dont want particles in suspension, in a car engine you have a filter so you need particles in suspension. In a turntable bearing you want the particles to settle out so you want a detergent free oil like compressor oil not like Castrol edge which not only has detergent, but it also has emulsifying agents so as I said it is no good.
I found the pic of the spindle that someone had used car engine in the bearing. This is after I had cleaned the white/ brown gunky mess off due the absorbed water because of the emulsifying agents. The pitting was the damage after I cleaned the rust off.
25761
Chris
Last edited by cafe latte on 25 Jul 2015 22:27, edited 2 times in total.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11256
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by cafe latte » 25 Jul 2015 22:17

Re the two pics of oil samples the missus thinks it is more likely the vile had decomposed contaminating the oil than the oil itself. Or the other possibility that Technics at some point used a mineral oil or something and later on specified Anderol 456.
Chris

Japi Roelofs
long player
long player
Netherlands
Posts: 4510
Joined: 05 Apr 2008 16:53
Location: Netherlands

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by Japi Roelofs » 25 Jul 2015 23:52

OK you Masters and PhDs, can you give us laymen some advice on how to find a good equivalent of the Anderol 465 oil, that is available in Europa, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and is available in smaller quantities than 42 gallon barrels?

Compressor oil shouldn't be too hard to find, but is it safe to use any compressor oil?
I have bought the KAB oil in the past but I'm looking for something available locally, bigger quantity too...

jjones3
member
member
Posts: 60
Joined: 13 Feb 2011 05:38
Location: New York, NY

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by jjones3 » 26 Jul 2015 00:03

cafe latte wrote:Re the two pics of oil samples the missus thinks it is more likely the vile had decomposed contaminating the oil than the oil itself. Or the other possibility that Technics at some point used a mineral oil or something and later on specified Anderol 456.
Chris
Would mineral look more like molasses after 30 years? I've never seen a gummed-up technics spindle.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11256
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by cafe latte » 26 Jul 2015 05:13

jjones3 wrote:
cafe latte wrote:Re the two pics of oil samples the missus thinks it is more likely the vile had decomposed contaminating the oil than the oil itself. Or the other possibility that Technics at some point used a mineral oil or something and later on specified Anderol 456.
Chris
Would mineral look more like molasses after 30 years? I've never seen a gummed-up Technics spindle.
Not really just glazed and dark brown.
Chris

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11256
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by cafe latte » 26 Jul 2015 05:22

Japi Roelofs wrote:OK you Masters and PhDs, can you give us laymen some advice on how to find a good equivalent of the Anderol 465 oil, that is available in Europa, doesn't cost an arm and a leg, and is available in smaller quantities than 42 gallon barrels?

Compressor oil shouldn't be too hard to find, but is it safe to use any compressor oil?
I have bought the KAB oil in the past but I'm looking for something available locally, bigger quantity too...
My studies only covered liquid lubricants in the student union bar :drunk: :D
BS aside any synthetic oil with no detergents and emulsifying agents of around the right oil weight will be fine. I would have no worries about using either a iso46 or a iso68 quality synthetic compressor oil as both are around the sae20 weight. Using a good quality mineral compressor oil of the correct weight will also be fine, but long term minerals oil are more prone to gumming up which is one reason I go synthetic.
If you were a bit closer I would post you enough to last you forever, but from here with the postage cost it might be cheaper just to buy half a liter.
Regards
Chris

JDB82
senior member
senior member
Posts: 702
Joined: 08 Aug 2014 05:29
Location: Houston, TX

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by JDB82 » 27 Jul 2015 07:51

What is the big cut out side that shows the bottom of spindle in technics bearing pics, I dont have a good idea how it actually works unless I was hands on with one. Can the oil just run out from this opening?
I heard the oil was for helicopters and is synthetic, looks like you guys know this.
A few drops after 2000 hours I would just get the KAB bottle. I plan on lubing every 2 years with as much as I listen to.

sandro77
Posts: 1
Joined: 16 Apr 2014 18:11

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by sandro77 » 27 May 2016 10:19

hi everybody
Is it possible use an oil like this?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... -prod78591

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11256
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by cafe latte » 27 May 2016 10:58

sandro77 wrote:hi everybody
Is it possible use an oil like this?
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/e ... -prod78591
It does not give the oil specs, you need an oil with the specs in the thread.
Chris

German_AC
junior member
junior member
Posts: 21
Joined: 05 Mar 2013 23:36

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by German_AC » 06 Jun 2016 17:33

Anderol 465 can be purchased here:

http://www.stove-parts-unlimited.com/An ... pp5400.htm


I think it is at a very reasonable price.

Electone
member
member
Posts: 195
Joined: 26 Nov 2008 19:58
Location: London, Ontario, Canada

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by Electone » 14 Jun 2016 00:30

I use Singer all-purpose/sewing machine oil. Never had a problem.

cafe latte
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
Australia
Posts: 11256
Joined: 11 Oct 2009 04:27
Location: Cattle property near Ravenshoe Qld Australia

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by cafe latte » 14 Jun 2016 03:35

Electone wrote:I use Singer all-purpose/sewing machine oil. Never had a problem.
It is tool light though. Singer oil is sae5w you need sae20w or iso68 for a Technics bearing. I would imagine your bearing will be wearing faster than it should and probably be more noisy too. Also thin oil like sae5w will run out of the bearing quicker and wont spread through the spinning bearing correctly. All bearing clearances are specific to different oil weights so the film of oil reaches all the places it needs to. To thick and it wont get up narrow clearances, to thin and the film breaks down before the oil reaches the places it needs to go.
If Technics specify iso68 then that is what the bearing needs.
Chris

JDJX
long player
long player
United States of America
Posts: 4186
Joined: 28 Nov 2013 20:17
Location: Mid Hudson valley..... NY.....In the orginal Orange County

Re: Technics Spindle Bearing Oil.

Post by JDJX » 14 Jun 2016 04:53

FWIW....
I use this oil for my Thorens and Pioneer spindle bearings and its great for them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Liquid-Bearings ... Swl9BWJSr0

In fact fact, I just re-oiled my Thorens bearing 18 months after I first used that oil...... and the bearing and the oil looked great. Personally, I will not use anything else after using this. :)