Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

turning japanese
almabes

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by almabes » 15 Dec 2015 12:35

pocketman wrote:Well I am a new owner of a SL-M2 that I picked up from Canuck Audio Mart. It seems to be a descent sounding deck. It has been a decade since I had a deck and I gave away much of my vinyl. I only had one LP to try it out with when I got home. One problem; I accidentally knocked the corner of it and chipped the veneer. The chip disintegrated so I will not be able to glue it back on. Suggestions?
A picture is worth a thousand words...
Post a pic.

ren2112

Post by ren2112 » 15 Dec 2015 13:14

You may want to check in with jnoyes, he seems to have great experience in veneering these decks. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index. ... m2.638087/

pocketman

Post by pocketman » 21 Dec 2015 22:55

Here are a few pictures of the rig set up in my system, of it and the chip in the film (veneer).
system 2.jpg
(53.3 KiB) Downloaded 639 times
Technics sl-m2.jpg
(65.56999999999999 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
Technics sl-m2 chip.jpg
(55.92 KiB) Downloaded 644 times
I had to add a plastic tube to the arm so that I could get the right down-force needed for the Sumiko needle(1.8 g). I am not sure what I'm going to do about the chip on the corner of the deck.

Do I need Technics bearing oil or can I use something else (3in1)?

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 22 Dec 2015 01:05

NOT 3 in 1 - people have lubricated with every imaginable greasy substance known to man -why not figure Technics knew what they were doing ? Kevin at KAB has the right lubricant - a little will last a very long time.

pocketman

Post by pocketman » 22 Dec 2015 01:32

Where is KAB and what does it stand for? Also what does the tonearm need for servicing? Where could I find out some information about the tonearm. It looks similar to the EPA-100 without the ruby bearings.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 22 Dec 2015 04:12

KAB Electro Acoustics will get you Technics parts -mostly for the 1200/10 series - but a lot of generally useful phono pieces ( some VERY good custom built phono pre-amps). You can get Technics bearing oil from him. I would suggest that unless you are sure that the arm is defective - don't do anything to it. In the medium sized city I repaired audio equipment in for few decades - there were two guys whose skills at repairing tonearms I respected - the other folks who took arms apart simply screwed them up.
What you might want to consider is that using a T4P compliant cartridge/stylus in your arm is worth trying ?

pocketman

Post by pocketman » 22 Dec 2015 05:07

Thanks for the info. Everything works as it should. I just thought it would be good to go through the table and lube and adjust considering its roughly 30 years old.

From everything I've read The sumiko Blue Point No.1 is a better cartridge then anything actually available presently; it is a MC cartridge and I looked at the stylus under a microscope and it looks good. I would like an EPC-P310MC but those are as rare as hen's teeth and as valuable as gold. I may one day convert it to 1/2 in cartridge mount to access some higher end cartridges.

I will check out KAB Electro Acoustics.

I do have a buzzy transformer that I am going to have to look at, as well I plan on polishing the dust cover. Right now I'm enjoying Peter Frampton Comes Alive.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 22 Dec 2015 06:53

Part of what makes good Pmount tables so remarkable ( shh-don't tell) is they make no effort to be universal : the arms assume the weight of the cartridge , stylus compliance and tracking force are known. The manufacturers then proceeded to design arms that worked within that narrow range . The challenge for "regular" arms is to deal with the audio equivalent of bicycle tires to semi-trailer tires and play records sorta well with all of this range. T4P arms are a little more like racecars -purpose built to cover a narrow range of operating conditions.

almabes

Post by almabes » 22 Dec 2015 17:26

pocketman wrote: Nice pictures...
I had to add a plastic tube to the arm so that I could get the right down-force needed for the Sumiko needle(1.8 g). I am not sure what I'm going to do about the chip on the corner of the deck.

Do I need Technics bearing oil or can I use something else (3in1)?
I was able to get the 1.75g I need for the Shure I use by adjusting the counterweight on the back of the arm.

I thought about changing mine to an S arm, but this T4P mount arm is probably *the* best T4P straight arm out there. It's a titanium arm tube in double gimbals, the counterweight is damped, and it is almost semi-automated. I can't complain about the sound performance of mine, and I don't have to screw with it to get it to sound amazing...it already does.

However, choices for T4P are rather limited these days. Grado makes them, Shure makes one. Audio Technica make a few variations of the same basic cartrdige, and probably a few others, but not quite the variety there were 15 to 20 years ago. Certainly not the variety you get with 1/2" mount.

Kevin has the oil, as was mentioned.
http://www.kabusa.com

Oh...and a SL-1200 cover fits perfectly, cheaply available, although not original.

pocketman

Post by pocketman » 23 Dec 2015 04:56

My dusk cover is actually in good condition I just know I can make it look better. So the arm is Titanium, good to know I can't seem to find any information except what's in the service manual. Does anyone have a sales brochure?

I was looking at the Technics EPA 500 tonearm (just to stay in the family) however its 2 cm longer and they are starting to get pricey ( I did find one in Japan for $500). I think if anything I would change out the headshell (2 set screws). Right now I am happy with the sound I am getting with the Sumiko. Its just the P headshell looks and feels cheap.

almabes

Post by almabes » 23 Dec 2015 12:42

I know what you mean about it looking cheap. The tonearm has the same plug in portion used on the entry level Technics Pmounts of the 80s and early 90s. I wanted to change to an S arm, too, but got over it when I had a Shure/Realistic RXT6 show up on a broken table I bought. I also have a JICO SAS stylus for the M97xE, which fits perfectly in this cartridge and sounds nothing less than crazy good.

Honestly though, when you find the right P-mount for your system the urge to change the arm will fade.

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 23 Dec 2015 15:48

My table has the much despised plastic arm and I just can't find anything wrong with it. It really does make a difference whether you're running a P-mount compliant cart in a Pmount arm (and vice-versa).A very nice thing about the used cart market is that you can often get amazing deals on Pmount carts if the stylus is broken or missing. Check to see if a SAS stylus is available -in terms of compliance these are very good matches for Pmount (1.25 gram VTF) arms.

pocketman

Post by pocketman » 23 Dec 2015 20:30

Are the arms plastic or titanium?

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 24 Dec 2015 00:14

I have the M1 which has a plastic arm tube -the M2 has a metal (titanium?) tube.

pocketman

Post by pocketman » 24 Dec 2015 03:13

I know there was a $50 difference between the decks; I guess arm material was part of the difference. Any others?