Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

turning japanese
constantinus

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by constantinus » 16 Aug 2018 08:33

Thank you, Leo, for the exact details.

I didn't get the turntable. Things got busy at work and then the shop went on vacation and then I went on vacation.

I checked their page now, the Sl-M1 is gone. I'm sad, but also relieved - it had too many variables to deal with. I've scavenged electronics to put together before, but I'm not an expert on these and scavenging requires experience to recognize the good vs bad stuff on the spot.

I think that the effort to fix the arm - which I think was too wiggly -, the noisy treble, the missing lid, the scratches on the front panel was too high for me. Especially the stylus and the arm.

I just hope that they didn't scrap it, but someone with the proper knowledge/time revived it. When I get around it, I should ask the shop about that.

vintageo

Post by vintageo » 15 Oct 2018 00:34

I am very happy to announce that I picked up a really nice example of a SL-M3 about a week ago, but it does have some damage to the vinyl. Front left and right side. I was wondering if anyone has tried refinishing one of these plinthes?
This is anamazing sounding table, besting my SL-1200!
It had other issues as well which I have been able to address some. The cover was damaged beyond repair the previous owner told me an it was discarded, :(
The buttons were all pretty finnicky, but I was able to clean them and they work much better now.
Back to the plinthe, I was trying to decide on wood veneer, or vinyl, like what's on it now, and also what grain pattern and color, birdseye, walnut, zebrawood, ?
Any input is appreciated..

BourbonCowboy

Post by BourbonCowboy » 12 Nov 2018 01:27

vintageo wrote:
15 Oct 2018 00:34
I am very happy to announce that I picked up a really nice example of a SL-M3 about a week ago, but it does have some damage to the vinyl. Front left and right side. I was wondering if anyone has tried refinishing one of these plinthes?
This is anamazing sounding table, besting my SL-1200!
It had other issues as well which I have been able to address some. The cover was damaged beyond repair the previous owner told me an it was discarded, :(
The buttons were all pretty finnicky, but I was able to clean them and they work much better now.
Back to the plinthe, I was trying to decide on wood veneer, or vinyl, like what's on it now, and also what grain pattern and color, birdseye, walnut, zebrawood, ?
Any input is appreciated..
While I don't have the SL-M3, I do have a couple MA1 decks. One has been re-veneered and looks great. I've got another one that has been re-veneered, but I haven't re-assembled it yet. I didn't do the veneer work myself, but found someone with more skills to do it for me (although I did peel off the old veneer from the plinth). I think it cost about $125 for the work.

vintageo

Post by vintageo » 02 Dec 2018 14:27

Here are a few before pics of my M3, It is very nice, but you can see needed some tlc. I have refinished the plinth and would like your opinions on what I decided on, I think it looks great!
Attachments
20181015_183719.jpg
(128.02 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
20181015_183658.jpg
(92.97 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
20181015_183647.jpg
(170.66 KiB) Downloaded 129 times

vintageo

Post by vintageo » 02 Dec 2018 14:28

And here are some after pics! Sorry for double post, just figuring out how to post pics
Attachments
20181022_134243.jpg
(163.23 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
20181017_110757.jpg
(132.09 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
20181017_110942.jpg
(112.38 KiB) Downloaded 136 times

AsOriginallyRecorded
Canada

Post by AsOriginallyRecorded » 13 Dec 2018 02:19

A bit tongue in cheek here, but if it is not too much, could someone change the spelling of Technics in this thread, since it is a self declared "Official" thread. Tehnics is simply not acceptable. :D

Electone

Post by Electone » 21 Dec 2018 21:51

And while we're at it, can someone add the SL-MA1 to the title.

allaboutmusic

Post by allaboutmusic » 22 Dec 2018 21:59

Just equipped my table SLM1 with a new Audio-Technica AT 33 PG2. Wow, that‘s awesome! While my beloved Ortofon X MCP series provides me with some impeccable music the AT reveals even more of the fantastic elements vinyl can transport... just a Little Bit of more Bass and some differentiated mids but I can surely recommend this cartridge! I just had to balance the s-shaped arm with a counter weight and adjusting overhang is surely a science of it‘s own if you are used to plug and play with the SH 80 headshell and T4P cartridges.

I would love to hear from other 1/2 inch users other SL M1 and their favorit cartridges!

Merry Christmas

JVE
Portugal

Post by JVE » 27 Jan 2019 14:37

Hi guys. Sorry to jump in like this but I really need help... Does anyone have the accessories for transport (counterweight clamper with screws and tonearm spacer) that they can borrow me (I can pay as long as it's a longer time trusted member) ? The accessories would need to be shiped to germany for the transportation of an SL M3.
Thanks

BillWojo
United States of America

Post by BillWojo » 27 Jan 2019 16:32

Or if someone who has all this stuff can give JVE some advise to give to the shipper on how to secure everything for shipping. I picked mine up local and have no clue on how it was originally shipped. BTW, does the platter need to be removed?

BillWojo

Spinner45
long player
long player

Post by Spinner45 » 27 Jan 2019 19:25

BillWojo wrote:
27 Jan 2019 16:32
Or if someone who has all this stuff can give JVE some advise to give to the shipper on how to secure everything for shipping. I picked mine up local and have no clue on how it was originally shipped. BTW, does the platter need to be removed?

BillWojo
That's ALWAYS a safe thing to do.
It eliminates shocks on the center bearing and possible damage.
Imagine the postal delevery man, having a bad day, or his wife is wanting a divorce, and he tosses boxes out of his truck onto the ground.
Always think of the worst senario... and pack accordingly.

JVE
Portugal

Post by JVE » 08 Feb 2019 01:09

Hopefully you can bear with one more person asking questions.. I've received it and it was very well packed. The guy at the shipping company was pretty cool and followed my requests to be careful, eventhough I ended up telling him regarding the arm that I really didn't now how to proceed, so he used a small piece of foam underneath to block it. Nothing was used to block the counterweight (hopefully no damage caused by this, can't test that ATM, read further...). Everything was separated (platter, dust cover..) with very good protection. The only thing that arrived damaged was the stylus of the cartridge, they wrapped it in "flexible paper" inside a small folded piece of cut thick cardboard, they obviously didn't know what they were doing. I asked them to follow the manual's instructions whenever possible, which they did (it just says to store the cartridge separately....:)). Not their fault. It's an Ortofon TM-20H. I'll have to decide if trying to get a stylus or just get some other cartridge. Too bent to recover IMO...
Anyway, there are two problems that I detected, and I ask anyone to please post about if they can help...
1- There's strangely a loose screw beneath the platter. It's one of the four (N5's IIRC) that secure the motor assembly (coils whatever...) beneath the platter to the wood. One of them doesn't screw at all, maybe someone's been there before, although there's no scratches or anything, everything seems to be visually in pristine condition. What would be the best way to secure it ? I remember seeing a few videos in the past regarding furniture stuff where they use the small wood part of matches (yes, those to light a stove....), by grinding them and then adding a bit of wood glue in the mixture to fill part of the hole. I'll probably undo one of the other screws to check if they're tightened directly to the wood or if there's some kind of bushing but I can't at the moment, maybe some of you might know...
2- The arm doesn't lower at all. If I force it to lower (in any position) by pressing down, it will lower, but as soon as I remove pressure it comes back up as if it was a spring. I haven't opened the arm mechanism lid to check yet, what do you guys think it is ?
Since I'm at it, here's two more...
3- What would be the best method for removing the old grease and how to apply (which one BTW ?) a new one ?
4- I've seen how important belt specs are in some tape decks, is it the same with the belt for this mechanism ? What would be a reliable source for the belt ?

Ok, I'll stop now... :)
Thanks all

ren2112

Post by ren2112 » 04 Mar 2019 14:05

Morning JVE, sorry for the delay in response, I'm not a technical person, I know that my SLM2 only requires the tiniest amount of lube down the spindle shaft, so I don't think you should be seeing a lot of old grease on the unit. I've used deoxit to good success on the arm lowering buttons and that has fixed my lowering and raising arm problems. Definitely, do not force the arm. good luck with your project

ren2112

Post by ren2112 » 04 Mar 2019 14:08

vintageo wrote:
02 Dec 2018 14:28
And here are some after pics! Sorry for double post, just figuring out how to post pics
That is a very cool look, what product did you use to do the recovering?

brandijeff

Post by brandijeff » 19 Apr 2019 15:56

Anyone out there have a platter for the SL-M1 turntable ? I am looking for one. Please PM me if you do.