Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

turning japanese
stevick

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by stevick » 22 Jul 2015 00:58

Bill, thanks again, and I'm glad the pictures will work out for you.

I just ordered a new 798-D7 stylus on eBay - the seller accepted my $10 offer! I was able to carefully remove the "Technics P33" badge off of the old one (as shown above). I will be able to glue it on to the aftermarket replacement and keep the "original" look. When it arrives, I'll try and borrow an album to test the tracking. I just checked my home theater receiver and it does have the proper "phono" input, so I can test the sound quality as well.

Like you, I have been unable to find good information as to the value, although eBay is selling some other vintage Technics models at pretty good prices. I just don't know if they are comparable models or not. Would you recommend listing it on the forums or on eBay to get the best price? I live in rural coastal Georgia -- little market locally -- so I'm willing to ship (even realizing the extraordinary packing effort that will be required). I just retired and I'm beginning preparations to relocate back to West Central Florida in the next few months.

Steve K.

stevick

Post by stevick » 22 Jul 2015 01:02

Oops, double post. Not to good with forum threads either.

BillWojo
United States of America

Post by BillWojo » 22 Jul 2015 03:59

Hi Steve, good to see that you will be able to test it. There is a manual for this table in the database library here. If you do sell it, look at the manual so you have an idea on how to pack it, to many TT get damaged in shipping, and this is way to rare to let that happen.
Before you install your new stylus, use an old record and try to play it with the old stylus installed. Make sure the cartridge lands inside of the rim of the record, there is an easy adjustment if it doesn't. Let us know.

BillWojo

johnny q

Post by johnny q » 22 Jul 2015 14:51

BillWojo wrote:Hi Steve, good to see that you will be able to test it. There is a manual for this table in the database library here. If you do sell it, look at the manual so you have an idea on how to pack it, to many TT get damaged in shipping, and this is way to rare to let that happen.
Before you install your new stylus, use an old record and try to play it with the old stylus installed. Make sure the cartridge lands inside of the rim of the record, there is an easy adjustment if it doesn't. Let us know.

BillWojo
Just a bit of advice from personal experience regarding the start position screw adjustment:

Turning the screw too far clockwise and you will not be able to start the platter spinning. I am not sure why, perhaps this is some type of safety mechanism. Adjust it too far counter clockwise and the tonearm will hang up (when you press start) necessitating you "help" it on it's way to the LP by lifting it with your finger.

johnny q

Post by johnny q » 22 Jul 2015 18:37

So, earlier in this thread I promised to come back and post in more detail and here I am!

I am the original owner of a Technics SL-M3. This was purchased by my parents in 1984 from Crazy Eddie. The turntable did not come packed with an EPC-P33 cartridge (the service manual mentions the US and Canada as exceptions) so the salesman sold us a Stanton L680EL cartridge which to this day is a major mystery to me. This is a DJ cartridge which made it an odd choice right off the bat. But more mysterious to me is the unique design of my L680EL which bears no resemblance to the one you have seen with the ballast weight, shiny nickel and D6800el stylus. Mine has no ballast weight, nickel is brushed and it uses a D6800PEL stylus. Holding both models in your hand, it is easy to tell that my circa 1984 L680EL weighs lighter than the common one - no one has ever been able to explain this to me! It sounds absolutely fabulous, but it is too heavy for the arm which cause the tonearm to drop like a rock when cueing. The weight also causes issues when searching or returning to the start position - the mechanism struggles to lift the arm and the stylus comes dangerously close to dragging on the vinyl.

Other cartridges that have worked really well on my SL-M3:Ortofon OM10, Technics P22 (and all the "variants") and the "lowly" Shure M92E! It seems the cheaper cartridges have worked better for me! I also have Stanton L737E, L720EE, Audio Technica AT95, Grado Blue and all of them just don't sound "right" on this arm.

Knock on wood, the 'table is still working with only minor hiccups. As a side note, it actually died about one month after we purchased it! Luckily, the Technics service center was 15 minutes from my house and they repaired it. Since then, the mode switch has become intermittent and needs to be pressed multiple times to work in either direction. The owners manual actually mentions that sometimes getting the mode back to auto requires powering down - sounds like a bug to me! Recently I have had issues with the start/stop switch requiring multiple presses to work, but that has mysteriously fixed itself! Other than that it works fine and sound is A++

Anyway - glad someone started this thread about the "M" series, hope I provided some useful anecdotal stuff!

JQ

stevick

Post by stevick » 22 Jul 2015 21:43

Bill and Johnny, thanks you both for your sage advice. I will follow it. Stylus should be here Monday.

ren2112

Post by ren2112 » 24 Jul 2015 23:37

The Technics 310MC moving coil cartridge T4P mount arrived today and I hooked it up to my project project tube s preamp and WOW. What a difference. I was using a shure M110 he and its no comparison. =D>

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 28 Jul 2015 15:42

ren2112 wrote:The Technics 310MC moving coil cartridge T4P mount arrived today and I hooked it up to my project project tube s preamp and WOW. What a difference. I was using a shure M110 he and its no comparison. =D>
This is going to push me over to getting my broken cantilever 310 fixed..... #-o Hmmmmm will just have to $ave a bit.... :wink:

Fred

audiopile
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by audiopile » 29 Jul 2015 05:31

One of the tables that I seem to keep permantly in use is a SL-M1 -cosmetically perfect condition -was relatively cheap to buy because if the lock button is disengaged it won't lock onto the correct speed . This is similar enough to SL-1200/10 that fixing it wouldn't be a challenge -but it runs dead nutz on speed with lock engaged -so haven't been able to get up the enthusiasm for this repair. Cuing control seems to want to take awhile to recharge -is there any chance that they are in fact using a capacitor to trip a solenoid (like in Connoisseur tables ?). At any rate -really has allowed my P-mounts to shine -currently running a V-15/LT with a NOS stylus - have had about half my P-mounts running in it at this point and they have all worked better in this arm than anything else I've tried.I keep my eyes open looking for another one.

ren2112

Post by ren2112 » 24 Aug 2015 01:13

bump

johnny q

Post by johnny q » 26 Aug 2015 15:39

Bumping this thread as well.

Any SL-M3 owners have issues with the arm dropping too fast either on start (auto mode) or when cueing? Mine is intermittent, but sometimes it drops too fast for comfort. Has anyone messed with or repaired this issue? These are all T4p compliant cartridges by the way. The heavy DJ carts weight 8.4 ounces and in that case - all bets are off.

galeau

Post by galeau » 03 Sep 2015 09:01

Hello!

Sorry if this post is out of topic though I think my SL-MA1 is related to these guys.

Anyway, I bought an SL-MA1 the other day when I was with my girlfriend visiting her family in the province for cheap. The seller (on a Japanese-Australian surplus shop) which was near their place said the headshell (if it can be called that too) was stolen before hence nobody's taking notice of the tt anymore.

The tt is in good condition and basing from my initial assessment, still works as it is intended to but with the missing headshell and cartridge. Because the seller accepted my offer, I bought the tt and brought it home with me.

Now the question is, do you guys know what this part is called and maybe its parts number? I tried checking VinylEngine's database for the manual but the manual was for a version of SL-MA1 w/ the non-removable headshell unlike mine.

Here's an image of what I'm looking for. This was taken from a Google search; someone was selling the same tt on eBay. Credits goes to the owner of the photo.
http://i.imgur.com/12r7wFx.jpg

Here's the tt itself.
http://i.imgur.com/XNbeJuC.jpg

paki976
Italy

Post by paki976 » 03 Sep 2015 11:11

Hi, that headshell part is quite uncommon... It's a headshell for p-mount (t4p) cartridges..... but the locking system appears the same used to fit ADC style cartridges.... that way you'll have the choice of any 1/2 inch mount cartridge.... a good photo of the connector inside pins could be useful...

Usually p-mount cartridges are mounted in a non removable headshell, so finding one removable like the one in the photo will be almost impossible

http://www.ebay.it/itm/Headshell-nach-A ... 21008622e5

galeau

Post by galeau » 03 Sep 2015 11:26

Thanks for the reply! :)

I want to restore this turntable because it felt like I was giving this one a new home. I'll post a picture of the connecting rods inside the tonearm later when I get home.

As for the tt I am using currently, its an SL-1600MK2.

Here's the pic of the tonearm tip. It has 2 female holes on the upper part and another on the lower part w/ 3 holes on the middle layer.
http://i.imgur.com/sAlWHrg.jpg

paki976
Italy

Post by paki976 » 03 Sep 2015 14:12

Hi, yes,it appears to be a standard ADC headshell connector "for straight arms".... Also, you tonearm has a user configurable rear counterweight, not common on t4p-only tonearm.....

Here's a picture from an old thread here on VE:
StraightHdshell.gif
(16.99 KiB) Downloaded 1105 times
I'm sure audio technica produced them in silver color (AT-CF3).