Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

turning japanese
ren2112

Re: Official Technics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Post by ren2112 » 19 Aug 2016 15:18

Thanks Bill
just wondering if I should go with a lighter 300 grm range or a heavier 600 grm?

arsenicwheat

Post by arsenicwheat » 25 Aug 2016 06:42

I might have found how to adjust the cue drop speed on an SL M3

There's a somewhat large flat head screw that sits horizontally on the cue plunger. Bring your tonearm forward, then, looking from the rear side of the turntable or on the opposite of the tonearm, just under the arm you'll see the cue plunger. Look for that flat head screw.

Try tightening it, and cueing, loosening and cueing... By trial and error I was able to find a sweet cue drop speed

Then I had to basically recalibrate everything else like VTF and drop positioning on 12"s and 7"s

Jonnypd

Post by Jonnypd » 05 Sep 2016 23:52

Hi all,
Just recently picked up an SL-MA1 in lovely condition...has original cartridge...EPC-33... The installed needle was original too and so I did a quick replace of the stylus...nothing fancy...and I bought a £30 audio technica cart from Amazon...to tide me over.

The sound quality is fabulous... I listen mainly via a headphone amp now (young child, small flat)... Just great sound...

A couple of questions and/or advice to ask! 1. Cart/stylus advice!? Is it worth plumping for one of those Jico styluses that some companies are putting in audio technica carts? Or going for a p-mount Grado? What is the right amount to spend for this tt?

I'd also quite like to try the black isonoe feet...these apparently fit 'standard 6mm screw fittings'...like the Technics SL1200 etc... Would they also fit the MA1!? Bad idea? It's mainly because bouncy floorboards and little one charging around can bounce the needle!

Hope asking all this doesn't breech usual etiquette! Thanks in advance.

J

ren2112

Post by ren2112 » 06 Sep 2016 01:24

I can't speak to the Isonoe feet, I'm stock and no issue with bounce. I picked up Technics EPS-310MC Moving Coil cartridge for my SL M2 and have been enjoying it.

BourbonCowboy

Post by BourbonCowboy » 06 Sep 2016 04:34

Jonnypd wrote:A couple of questions and/or advice to ask! 1. Cart/stylus advice!? Is it worth plumping for one of those Jico styluses that some companies are putting in audio technica carts? Or going for a p-mount Grado? What is the right amount to spend for this tt?
First, congrats on the purchase of a wonderful table. It's got the rare combination of beauty, performance, and (fairly) decent price. For me, it's the perfect table - which is why I just bought my 3rd copy.

As for a cartridge...if you can find a Pickering XL-33U (some are still floating around the internet), you will be amazed at the sound. I would even suggest purchasing a backup (original) Stereohedron stylus. I have this cartridge, as well as a Technics P23, and a Grado blue with the 8MZ stylus. The Pickering is definitely my favorite. I would skip the JICO styli right now. The prices are insane. Don't misunderstand, they sound great. I love my JICO SAS stylus on my Shure M91ED cartridge, but I made the purchase just before the price hike.

Best of luck, and enjoy your new table.

Jonnypd

Post by Jonnypd » 06 Sep 2016 14:33

Thanks for the responses... I'm certainly drawn to the Pickering XL-33U ...I haven't been able to find any P-Mount MC cart anywhere... I'll be in the US in late October, so may try 'in country'!

johnny q

Post by johnny q » 16 Sep 2016 02:51

arsenicwheat wrote:I might have found how to adjust the cue drop speed on an SL M3

There's a somewhat large flat head screw that sits horizontally on the cue plunger. Bring your tonearm forward, then, looking from the rear side of the turntable or on the opposite of the tonearm, just under the arm you'll see the cue plunger. Look for that flat head screw.

Try tightening it, and cueing, loosening and cueing... By trial and error I was able to find a sweet cue drop speed

Then I had to basically recalibrate everything else like VTF and drop positioning on 12"s and 7"s
I am going to check this out for sure, thanks for the tip. You have to wonder why stuff like this is not in the service manual.

JQ

BillWojo
United States of America

Post by BillWojo » 04 Nov 2016 14:15

I'm still looking for the clear plastic piece that sits under the tonearm when it's at rest. This is for my SL-M3 TT.
Somehow mine was lost along the way before I purchased the TT.
Thanks

BillWojo

johnny q

Post by johnny q » 04 Nov 2016 19:34

BillWojo wrote:I'm still looking for the clear plastic piece that sits under the tonearm when it's at rest. This is for my SL-M3 TT.
Somehow mine was lost along the way before I purchased the TT.
Thanks

BillWojo
I too have been looking for one since the 80s. I had my SL-M3 since it was new and I recall that piece came off quite frequently and was hard to keep in place. I eventually set it aside and it got lost. I would bet that happened to many owners and the piece may be scarce - even on "parted out" M3's.

BillWojo
United States of America

Post by BillWojo » 05 Nov 2016 04:12

Wow, I didn't realize that they were not secured. I have some pictures of one that a member sent me. I was going to machine a new one out of clear acrylic but it looks like a much bigger project than I have time for now. Maybe down the road. If I ever get to it, I'll make up a small batch.

BillWojo

johnny q

Post by johnny q » 05 Nov 2016 14:20

BillWojo wrote:Wow, I didn't realize that they were not secured. I have some pictures of one that a member sent me. I was going to machine a new one out of clear acrylic but it looks like a much bigger project than I have time for now. Maybe down the road. If I ever get to it, I'll make up a small batch.

BillWojo
Well, it was "secured" - it snapped in if I recall. However, the fit was bad and I could never get it to stay.

MZinius

Post by MZinius » 28 Nov 2016 21:59

I recently bought a SL - M1 and since the autostop didn't work I sent it to the tech guys only to discover that they could not fix it cuz "some spare part" was impossible to find. :shock:

Anyone else with that problem?

/michael

penumbra

Post by penumbra » 07 Feb 2017 01:54

was curious when i saw this on ebay, i didnt know sl-m had an S arm ? (its not an sl1200arm) either! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Designplayer- ... 2255193212
Last edited by penumbra on 07 Feb 2017 02:14, edited 1 time in total.

anmpr1

Post by anmpr1 » 07 Feb 2017 15:28

penumbra wrote:was curious when i saw this on ebay, i didnt know sl-m had an S arm ? (its not an sl1200arm) either! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Designplayer- ... 2255193212
SL M1 (1983) had an S shaped arm with resonance damping counterweight. SL MA1 (1986) had the standard P mount straight arm with no special counterweight. The M1 was a more expensive model than the MA1.

allaboutmusic

Post by allaboutmusic » 06 Mar 2017 21:27

Just picked up a nice SL M1 with the s-shaped tonarm and the SH 80 T4P headshell.

After a few disappointments with Grado Prestige Silver, Shure M92 and Technics P540 with a SAS Jico stylus on my new player that did not produce a significant audio improvement over the SL Q 300 a found the Ortofon X1 MCP really working well with the new treasure. It really shows a lot more stage and tonal separation than what I have listened to before, great! Seemingly the SL M1 is made for MC.

Still wonder how to get the other cartridges working better. Any suggestions of some of the more experienced SL M user would be very welcome!

Cheers
frank