the home of the turntable

Official Tehnics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

turning japanese

Official Tehnics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Postby BillWojo » 17 Jun 2015 21:59

After picking up my Technics SL-M3 turntable I did as much research on the internet as I could do and found that the little info to be found is scattered all over. Hence the desire to start an Official Technics SL-M1 to 3 thread.
Anyone owning one of these unique and desirable machines please post and let us know about your TT. From what I can gather these tables were a last gasp for Technics to sell a high end consumer TT as the CD revolution took over the main stream. The actual specs are only beaten by Technics commercial broadcast TT, I believe only by the SP10MK3. Pity that the tone arms will only take a P-Mount cartridge, that's the only down fall that I have gathered.
Please join in and lets gather as much information on these wonderful TT's in one spot. I'm sure there are still more of these tables sitting in dusty corners awaiting discovery.

BillWojo
BillWojo

United States of America

Re: Official Tehnics SL-M1, SL-M2, SL-M3 Thread

Postby ren2112 » 17 Jun 2015 23:04

I'm the original owner of an SL-M2 married to a shure me 110 cartridge. The only thing wrong with it is the cueing mechanism sticks a bit and I have to depress the button a couple of times before it engages. Otherwise it has been a real soldier for me these past 30 yrs.
I took a break from it for a few months. Went and picked up a Dual 1019 and 1229 for the 3 speed (got the 78 bug) and standard 1/2 inch mount flexibility. But now I want to see if I can bring my SL-M2 to its full potential. The p-mount limitation is a big one, for one thing its tough to find any MC carts that will pair up with a 1.5 grm tracking force.
ren2112

Canada

Postby BillWojo » 18 Jun 2015 01:59

I just checked out some photos and a YouTube vid of a M2 in action. Beautiful TT!
I bet that cleaning the switch on your unit would take care of your problem. I just hate tearing into something as rare as these are.
As far as high end MC carts go, I think Technics offered some back in the day. The problem is finding one in good shape that doesn't cost a fortune. Plus I'm not sure of the stylus availability.
My M3 is in pretty good shape except the left front corner got chipped in the vinyl vernier. The dust cover needs to be buffed out but no cracks or deep scratches. I'm still trying to figure out what the "Titanium Nitride" tone arm pipe is all about. Do you have any brochures from back in the day? I'm sure Technics made a fuss about it.

BillWojo
BillWojo

United States of America

Postby ren2112 » 18 Jun 2015 13:01

I agree, I don't want to take it apart either. The deck is perfect, the lid has some minor hazing. Unfortunately I only have the service manual. In those days TTs were still very popular so there was a lot of noise in the market....I can't really remember anyhting specific to the SL series. It just caught my eye and was in my budget range.

Never did any in depth analysis either other than the standard specs we were paying attention to at the time. I do remember wondering if I should have gotten the the S shaped tonearm with the standard headshell. But I really liked the straight tonearms so I stuck with it.

Found a cool site if you can read German. start at the 1985 link
http://wegavision.pytalhost.com/Technics/
ren2112

Canada

Postby fscl » 20 Jun 2015 06:11

Why these turntables weren't offered with the EPC 310 MC is unthinkable...... [-X but I guess no one would be willing to pay with general adoption of CD players right around the corner...... :?

Fred
fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
contributor

United States of America

Postby BillWojo » 21 Jun 2015 23:27

That is a cool site, to bad I can't read German. A friend of mine gave me a Shure M92e cart and I can upgrade the stylus to a M97 or better. In another thread it was mentioned that I can upgrade to the N104E, that styles doesn't have the brush assembly on the front like the M97 one does. Looking at LPGear's site I see that the upgrade path for the N104E is the stylus for the M110HE and it's only 72 bucks. About the limit of my budget at the moment. I need to do a little more research before I hit the buy button.
fscl, I wish those carts were sold on lots of tables, maybe it would be easier to find one. I'm sure the stylus is out of my price range though.

BillWojo
BillWojo

United States of America

Postby johnny q » 26 Jun 2015 20:14

Hi Everyone:

Proud SL-M3 owner here. I will be back later to post in depth - one quick question for now.

Does anyone know where to get the original Sl-M3 turntable mat or comparable aftermarket? A friend measured his and it is just shy of 4MM. The part number is in the service manual and I found a few for sale on ebay in other countries. I believe the same mat was used for the Sl-M2 as well.

JQ
johnny q

United States of America

Postby ren2112 » 30 Jun 2015 23:16

There is a guy on ebay parting out an Sl-M2. He doesn't list the mat but may have what you are looking for?
ren2112

Canada

Postby Aerobat » 11 Jul 2015 13:31

I'm not an SL-M owner but would love to see photos of yours posted in this thread.
Aerobat
contributor

United States of America

Postby ren2112 » 11 Jul 2015 17:16

Here is my old timer
Attachments
20150711_120957[1].jpg
20150711_120916[1].jpg
20150711_121013[1].jpg
ren2112

Canada

Postby stevick » 21 Jul 2015 01:28

Hey Gang, I am an SL-M3 owner, but not a user unfortunately. I recently dug it out of storage (like 15 years) with an eye towards selling it. It was my pride and joy many moons ago, but now I don't even own any vinyl or a capable receiver/pre-amp to test her with. Also needs a stylus - still has original EPC-33 cart with EPS-33ES stylus (but no needle in the "tube").

I did get her running. Initially made a racket when the tonearm moved back to the start position. Soon diagnosed a VERY worn belt. Just got the replacement installed and all is well. Carefully cleaned up the worm gears a bit while I was in there -- the lube had turned into something that strongly resembled earwax. The only issue is a stubborn MODE button, that doesn't always switch when you push it. I tried CRC on the switch, which made it better but still not perfect. I hesitate to do the full disassembly required to get at it though.

Perhaps some of you can answer some questions for me based upon your experience. First is, whether there is a problem in that the tonearm at rest at the stylus guard can able to wobble back and forth very loosely (maybe 3/4")? Second is, what other steps I should take to make her ready for someone to enjoy? Third is, should I replace the stylus or the whole cart? And lastly, the big question: what do you think she is worth?

The Turntable is nearly pristine in its condition. The dustcover has nothing but the most insignificant scratches and is nice and clear. The veneer is near perfect, with only a very slight ding that can be felt easier than seen at the front top edge near the stop/start button. All the pieces are there (mat, 45 button, and the power and grounding cords (cords are replacements just ordered and received). Though their condition is pretty ratty, I even have the original owner's manual and the box it came in. Pics are attached (I'm no photographer).

I would appreciate any thoughts those of you who know these animals may have to offer.
Attachments
20150720_201314[1].jpg
20150720_201250[1].jpg
20150720_201235[1].jpg
stevick

United States of America

Postby ren2112 » 21 Jul 2015 13:10

Hi Stevick, If you are selling it, then just replace the stylus, They are easy enough to find on e-bay, the needledoctor or turntableneedles. As far as the value, I'm not sure-This model was the top of the line in this M class in the 80s and they don't come up for sale too often. from what I've seen, the P-mount is the only thing that makes these decks desirable to only a certain few.

Good Luck
Ren
ren2112

Canada

Postby BillWojo » 21 Jul 2015 15:13

I paid 300 for mine and it's not in as nice shape as yours. Don't use the price I paid as a current value, unless of course your selling that table to me. LOL There is scant info on the value, I ran into that while researching the purchase of the one I bought. If your willing to ship there are audio marts and Ebay.
So the EPC-33 was the stock cartridge? That's interesting as mine came with no cartridge. I found another P-mount Technics with a EPC-33 and picked it up just for the cartridge and stylus. Mounted it and not only does it sound great, it matches the table. So good to know it shipped with that combo.
I see the 45 adapter is a machined aluminum part. Can you take several photo's of it, I would like to machine one for my table.
Thanks

BillWojo
BillWojo

United States of America

Postby stevick » 21 Jul 2015 16:39

Thanks Bill and Ren for your expert advice. I am assuming the cart on there shipped with it, but I do not know for sure, as I am the second owner (purchased from an Army guy who bought it overseas at a commissary - maybe in Japan). I have attached photos of the cart and stylus.

Per Bill's request, I have also attached photos of the 45 adapter. Let me know if you want more, or some particular angle, etc.

I will take Ren's advice and buy a stylus. There are 2 replacement styles available - with a conical needle or an elliptical needle (as I believe was on the original), about $15 and $30 respectively. If I am selling, would my choice make a significant difference to a purchaser? Also, I'm guessing the play on the resting tonearm is not a concern, but let me know? Thanks again...

Steve K.
Attachments
20150721_111341[1].jpg
20150721_110911[1].jpg
20150721_110756[1].jpg
20150721_110727[1].jpg
20150721_110707[1].jpg
stevick

United States of America

Postby BillWojo » 21 Jul 2015 19:25

Hi Steve, your photos of the 45 adapter are excellent. Thank you.
As far as what stylus to purchase, I don't think it will make a huge difference. Now if your going to actually try it out, well the elliptical should sound better. Be forewarned though, you may not want to put it up for sale...........
As far as the free play side to side, it needs to be there. As long as it tracks well, always staying 90 degrees to the tracks it's working well. I know if I watch the pulley that's driven by the motor, it advances a little bit for every revolution of the platter. That pulley drives the worm that drives the worm gear that moves the cable to advance the carriage. Since the record grooves are about 0.003 spacing, that means for every revolution of the record the carriage moves about 0.003 of an inch. Amazing!
The EPC-33 is a very good cart. Technics did how ever make some moving coil carts but they are very pricey and hard to find. I think I'll just stick to my MM cart.
Thanks again.

BillWojo
Last edited by Anonymous on 22 Jul 2015 04:00, edited 1 time in total.
BillWojo

United States of America

Next

Return to Technics