Technics sl7 questions

turning japanese
Mistertaz

Technics sl7 questions...

Post by Mistertaz » 22 Feb 2014 15:45

Hi!

I've just got a couple if questions regarding the Technics SL7 linear tracking turntables. I've already got one which had one of the lid latches already broken, and in transit the other lid latch was also broken. Fortunately it still plays, but the broken latches are annoying me.

1. How do people suggest fixing the broken lid corners with the hook / latch? There's some mention of using epoxy putty, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Would you just stick a flat piece against the lid and then file it into shape?

2. I'm tempted to buy another SL7, but what's the best way to pack it for international postage without breaking the fragile lid latches? Should it be closed, but taped shut securely? Should the lid be secured slightly open?

3. Would there much difference between a Technics P33 with Jico SAS stylus and a Shure M92E with Jico SAS? Is the actual quality of the two cartridges reasonably similar, in reference to the magnet assemblies? Which is a better candidate for a Jico SAS if they're both available?

Thanks for your help
Taz.

Mark E Smith's Dentist
long player
long player
Laos

Re: Technics sl7 questions...

Post by Mark E Smith's Dentist » 22 Feb 2014 17:25

I've been told the best way to ship an SL-7 is with it tightly wrapped in clingfilm so it can't even "chatter" in transit, it's firmly held shut.

JT

Mistertaz

Post by Mistertaz » 22 Feb 2014 23:21

Aha! A stroke of genius! Thank you for that advice my friend! :)

Mistertaz

Post by Mistertaz » 24 Feb 2014 01:22

No other input regarding questions 1 and 3?

lensmanMK2
long player
long player

Post by lensmanMK2 » 07 Mar 2014 19:08

can you take a pic of exactly how the lugs are damaged? we might have an idea on whats needed then?

if its just the lugs that are broken and the case is fine you could try cutting/filing down some small aluminium bar weights then epoxying them into position,might be a bit tedious though!

as for 3 it depends if youve got many used bits of vinyl in your collection,ive read around that the SAS can be a bit unforgiving on old vinyl,the HE's are fine though,and thats what i stick with.

fscl
vinyl addict
vinyl addict
United States of America

Post by fscl » 07 Mar 2014 19:41

I've tried to post pictures previously as in an effort to solicit ideas, however the dust cover comes out grey and detail is lost.

If you have the SL-7 take a look at the dust cover where it engages with the hooks below. You should see the tiny ears / ledges that are machined / routed out from the thinkness of the dust cover.

Fred and always make sure to press lid down then the button used to open or close when opening or closing the SL-7 to subject these ears to as little stress as possible. This is the SL-7's Achilles heel...... :( #-o

lensmanMK2
long player
long player

Post by lensmanMK2 » 07 Mar 2014 20:06

so are yours knackered as well fred? if so try putting some white card behind it then taking the photo,old lensman trick ;)

DCinDC

Post by DCinDC » 08 Apr 2014 01:07

I have an SL-7 with one broken latch. I have thought for quite a while on how to fix it.

I came up with two solutions but haven't tried either yet.

1 use quick set (1 minute) epoxy and form a lump for later hand filing.

2 use superglue and baking soda to form a lump for later hand filing. To do this, put a drop or superglue, and then puff baking soda on it from a squeeze bottle. It instantly sets the super glue and makes a very hard piece of plastic (or whatever that might make). Practice this technique A LOT before actually trying it. The superglue may fog the dust cover if the fumes accumulate.

I have not tried either method. But they will work if you take care.

And ALWAYS hold the "open" button when closing the lid on an SL-7!

lensmanMK2
long player
long player

Post by lensmanMK2 » 08 Apr 2014 10:30

DCinDC wrote:
And ALWAYS hold the "open" button when closing the lid on an SL-7!
words to live by!

i saw freds post describing the knackered "ears" on the cover before i got my SL7,handy hint that'll hopefully keep mine intact!