What cartridge is on your Technics SL12xx ?

turning japanese
tuber

Re: What cartridge is on your Technics SL12xx ?

Post by tuber » 26 Apr 2017 02:41

Just picked up a black SL 1200 mk2. Has an AT911E with an AT stylus. Don't know what type of diamond shape is on it. Sounds great tbough.

peter-dog

Post by peter-dog » 18 Jul 2017 02:55

It's not exactly an SL 1200...but I installed a DL-103R on my Pioneer PLX-1000. I fashioned a 3 mm spacer from solid oak to get the VTA right - after adjustment of the tonearm height, the tonearm and top of cartridge were parallel to the LP as far as my calibrated eyeball can tell. I screwed the added weight included with the PLX-1000 into the back of the balance weight, but found that the 4g weight wasn't needed in the headshell given the weight of the spacer and longer stainless screws.

I pass the signal through the MC input in a Cambridge Audio CP2 preamp, which I thought might not have sufficient gain (55 dBV) for the output of the DL-103R (measured at 0.31 mV per the spec sheet provided with the cartridge). However, I rout the output from the CP2 into a TASCAM US-2x2 DAC for purposes of digitizing my collection. I don't need much input gain on the TASCAM, nor much volume on the headphone monitor to get crystal clear resolution throughout the frequency range (B&W P7 'phones). The cartridge still needs some break-in, but if it indeed gets any better, I will be one happy camper.

Andrei_nz

Post by Andrei_nz » 13 Aug 2017 08:40

Jebediah046 wrote:Hi all,

New to the forum here, and just wanting a little advice. I've picked up a 1200MK2 which I'm having serviced. I have to add a headshell and cart. I have a 2M Bronze already, and am having to decide which headshell to go with. I'm leaning towards the Ortofon LH-8000 as it seems specifically made for the 2M Bronze/Black, and checking the figures for the resonance frequency it seems to sneak in around the 7-8 mark, also the the weight of the Bronze + 8000 comes in at 15.7g, which falls nicely into the tonearm weight parameters.

Do these numbers stack up? Cheers in advance!

Edit:Apologies if this is off topic/hijacking!
Jeb, late reply but here goes. Just use the standard headshell. Honestly you will not hear the difference. I have a cartridge well over $2K on an aftermarket tonearm and the only time I ever heard a difference was with a pure ebony headshell (they make musical instruments out of the stuff). How big a difference - not much, I think I could tell the diff in a blind test, but then ... ?

studiord

Post by studiord » 19 Aug 2017 08:51

Does anyone have a Soundsmith Otello on their 1200/1210 ? How does it sound?

Also, which headshell is the cartridge mounted on? Using the RF calculator, it seems the best match is the standard headshell as anything heavier will not be an ideal match.

Jorlsafar

Post by Jorlsafar » 08 Sep 2017 21:28

Ha! I just put an Ortofon 2M Black on a stock SL 1200. And it´s shockingly good! :D I've had AT 440, AT 120 on the same deck but the a 2M Black is totally fantastic. The 2M Black is considered by some to be the best MM cartridge and thus an "over match" for the SL 1200, but the deck and the cart shine together. For audiophile purposes I listen to Fagen's Nightfly and the snap of the drums, the natural brass etc is all there. So kids, don't be afraid to treat your SL 1200 to a really good cart. :D

Rix__Mix

Post by Rix__Mix » 07 Oct 2017 23:18

I have a Ortofon Bronze on my 1210GR. The combo is incredible. VTF @ 1.6g

Reason I went for the Bronze rather than the Blue is the upgrade path, something I really like about Ortofon. When I wear out this Bronze stylus, I'll be fitting the cartridge with a Black. Just had a quick read through this thread, great to hear that the arm won't let down a Black stylus.

robinliebrechts

Post by robinliebrechts » 22 Oct 2017 19:17

Rix__Mix wrote:I have a Ortofon Bronze on my 1210GR. The combo is incredible. VTF @ 1.6g

Reason I went for the Bronze rather than the Blue is the upgrade path, something I really like about Ortofon. When I wear out this Bronze stylus, I'll be fitting the cartridge with a Black. Just had a quick read through this thread, great to hear that the arm won't let down a Black stylus.
I have ordered the 1210 GR which will be sent to me this week. The AT 540 ML will be on the 1210 GR. I'm 100% sure it will be an excellent combi :D

anmpr1

Post by anmpr1 » 23 Nov 2017 15:45

I want to share my thoughts on the Audio Technica VM740ML. Retail is $329.00. I have not seen it discounted anywhere, and that is what I paid. The 740 represents the low end of ATs high-end MM line, which includes the 740, 750 and 760. For reasons I do not understand, the cheaper 740 has the most advanced stylus shape of the three [Namiki Precision Jewel Company, Micro Ridge], followed by the 750, which features a Shibata diamond, and lastly the 760 which sports a Fine Line. You'd think it would be the other way around. Neither the Shibata nor the Fine Line possess the scanning and contact radius of the Micro Line stylus.

As far as I can tell, the 740 is similar (if not the same) electrically as the lower priced VM540ML. According the AT Website, the 740 body is machined from aluminum, and thus has better resonance and electrical damping properties. I don't know whether that is true, or just marketing shtick. I can say that the gold-tone aluminum 740 looks a lot better than the black plastic 540. Is aluminum worth $80.00 more than plastic?

The 540/740 stylus assembly is the same, and is the recommended replacement for the (in)famous AT 440MLx series of cartridges. I have a 440 MLa, and on bad days it will drive you out of the house. In the new model, the HF response has been tamed. At

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/vin ... ge-review/

David Rich reviews the 540, and observes that the 440's 6dB peak from 12-15kHz is missing, which is a good thing.

I mounted the cartridge in the standard Technics shell, set tracking for 2g (the new series tracks about 1/2 gram higher than the older models), and aligned it using the erstwhile Cart-A-Line device that sets both overhang and offset. This is quite different from the geometry Technics advises; I have no idea what alignment theory Technics is basing their recommendations on. The sound, IMO, is like a smooth 440, sans the aggressive highs. It tracks as well as anything I've encountered, and with the KAB fluid damper resonance is well controlled between 7-8 Hz (Shure TT-117).

Conclusion: If you want the "romantic" type sound of something like a Denon DL-103, this is probably not going to do it for you. If you would like an AT-440ML without the aggressive highs, I'd certainly recommend you look in to the AT540ML. If you want something a little more cosmetically presentable, and perhaps even sonically better than the 540, the 740ML is hard to beat.
Attachments
740mla.jpg
(352.33 KiB) Downloaded 1523 times

turntabletechniques

Post by turntabletechniques » 24 Nov 2017 11:52

That's interesting what you say about the AT VM740ML. Will have to try that one out.
On my SL1200 I have/use Nagaoka MP-20 w/MP-200 stylus and also a Goldring 2400.
Very happy with both & the Nagaoka keeps any surface noise to a minimum...

anmpr1

Post by anmpr1 » 24 Nov 2017 13:31

turntabletechniques wrote:That's interesting what you say about the AT VM740ML. Will have to try that one out.
On my SL1200 I have/use Nagaoka MP-20 w/MP-200 stylus and also a Goldring 2400.
Very happy with both & the Nagaoka keeps any surface noise to a minimum...
I have not heard anything negative about Nagaoka, except they are a little more difficult to find, whereas AT is sold by anyone everywhere. In fact they always seem to have good reviews from users, but I admit I've never heard one.

The MP200 stylus is described as a "Superfine Elliptical," but I don't know what that means. A Website in Japan lists dimensions as 0.4 x 0.7, which is not a particularly snug "in the groove" fit. On the other hand, in addition to the stylus you have to look at how the diamond is mounted and aligned, plus cantilever design, which for the MP200 is boron, a pretty high-end material.

To get a modern diamond shape in a Nagaoka, you have to go up to the MP500, and then you are in to some serious money--at least for someone like me. My cutoff is about $300.00. Other people just get started at that price point.

With records, you can't get too dogmatic over isolated cartridge design details. It's the overall thing that counts. FWIW, I sometimes use a Denon DL-103 that features a direct from 1962 ball point pin diamond tip, but it sounds wonderful just the same.

Usually, though, the more advanced the stylus shape (and cantilever design), the better the chances are the overall quality will be decent. But there are exceptions--like the AT 440ML which was really too bright. People overlooked this (myself included) to a degree because it did so many other things well. However, once I heard the VM740ML I knew it was over for my 440ML. So now it sits by itself (along with a spare stylus), likely never to be used again. At least anytime soon. I might put the 440ML stylus in the 740 just to see how that works out.

chiz
Great Britain

Post by chiz » 24 Nov 2017 16:55

Thanks for sharing your experience of the VM740ML anmpr1.
I have the AT150MLX myself and am interested in the newer models in this range.
anmpr1 wrote: For reasons I do not understand, the cheaper 740 has the most advanced stylus shape of the three [Namiki Precision Jewel Company, Micro Ridge], followed by the 750, which features a Shibata diamond, and lastly the 760 which sports a Fine Line. You'd think it would be the other way around.
This puzzled me too. I believe the higher cost of the 760 is down to a smaller shank size and although the MicroLine is a newer, more advanced design than the Shibata it may be cheaper to make these days.
See this thread for further discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=92810&start=15
anmpr1 wrote: I have no idea what alignment theory Technics is basing their recommendations on.
The Technics alignment takes into account that distortion is greater at smaller radii compared with the same angular error at larger radii.
This appears to be based on Stevenson theory but does not agree exactly with his method as the outer null has been moved inward.

Andrei_nz

Post by Andrei_nz » 26 Nov 2017 00:32

I'm sure I must have posted on this before. I had a Benz Wood (Jelco 750D arm) Low Output MC. What a nice cart. Anyway I have invested in a 2nd 1200 - an SL 1210 Mk5g. I needed a cart and came across a 2nd hand Charisma Ref-1. Mama Mia! A step up over the Benz Wood. Cellos sound a closer to what a real a cello sounds like. I am convinced that the other Charismas will sound great too.

ctm-1951

Post by ctm-1951 » 03 Dec 2017 07:47

Hi. Just tonight I have mounted a used Nagaoka MP-30 purchased off Audiogon. Good thing...already broken in. Bad thing(but remedied) apparently the all metal body of the MP-30, MP-300, MP-50, MP-500 can create hum problems. Read about similar problems on different forums after scratching my head and taking a break by eating dinner. I have all my turntables(3) grounded to the preamp. Not a problem with metal-bodied cartridges and non-metallic tonearms(non-grounded) but my SL-1200 has a metallic headshell and arm. That created quite a hum problem in the right channel only. On a lark I disconnected the ground leg to the preamp and wallah! Things are nice in paradise. But my Ortofon 2M Red needs to have the ground leg connected or it hums. Go figure. Can someone explain this?

anmpr1

Post by anmpr1 » 03 Dec 2017 21:46

ctm-1951 wrote:Bad thing(but remedied) apparently the all metal body of the MP-30, MP-300, MP-50, MP-500 can create hum problems. ... but my SL-1200 has a metallic headshell and arm. That created quite a hum problem in the right channel only. On a lark I disconnected the ground leg to the preamp and wallah! Things are nice in paradise. But my Ortofon 2M Red needs to have the ground leg connected or it hums. Go figure. Can someone explain this?
Sounds like you just got rid of a ground loop. Some I-net sleuthing indicates that certain Nagaoka's shouldn't be mounted in a metal headshell, because of the way the cartridge is internally wired. Someone on another forum suggested a non metallic spacer and nylon mounting hardware. Hum and phono cartridges can be tricky.