Technics Sl-5210 Speed Problem. Need Service Manual Or help.

turning japanese
purist

Technics Sl-5210 Speed Problem. Need Service Manual Or help.

Post by purist » 28 Apr 2011 11:05

Hi,

I´m in need for a servive manual for the Technics SL-5210/5200. This was one of the first models of Technics with quartz controlled drive.
My model runs much quicker -and the same too high speed on both 33 and 45. Switching quartz-control off there´s no reaction to the pitch. Only one single speed regardless of switch positions.
It also seems that the series pass transistor that regulates the supply voltage gets too hot.

The chipset consists of the AN640G (IC101, Drive), AN660 (IC202, Control), DN860 (IC203, frequency Divider) and the µPC4558C (IC201, FG-amp).
The PCB is named SFDP-520-31(a)

The Technics SP-15, of which I got the service-manual, uses also this Chipset, but differs in details like speed-switching and oscillator-circuit.

Can anybody supply me with the SL-5210/5200- Series service manual?
Or does someone at once know what the Problem could be?

thanks
Calvin

purist

Post by purist » 01 May 2011 09:22

Hi,

did some first measurements. It seems that the contacts F1 and F2, coming from the frequency generator of the motor and going to the FG-amp on the main-PCB doesn´t generate a signal. There´s only a dc potential around 6V on both contacts (wonder though that one of the contacts is not ground referenced as stated in some other Technics manuals). I´d expect some turns related pulses superposing the DC value, or just pulses with no DC at all. Can anybody suggest me or guess what the problem might be, and how the signal of the FG should look like?

thanks
Calvin

purist

Post by purist » 03 May 2011 08:33

Hi,

found out, that the FG-Generator indeed didn´t work, even though when measured it showed some 5Ohms resistance. The FG-generator is just printed on circuit board in meandering pattern. Its located on the aluminum ring of the motor circumference, that is covered by a white plastic ring.
Its signal is generated by induction of the rotating magnet fixed to the platter. So its a passive system not requiring any external power source.
As such turning the platter must generate some form of signal. Closer inspection revealed a barely visible crack in at least one of the soldering points on the PCB. Resoldering fixed the prob and the coil now measures around 2Ohms resistance. It now provides the necessary pulsed speed signal again and the TT turns with its nominal speed again.

Still though I´d appreciate if anybody could supply me with a manual, because the manuals that I used (Sl1300ii-17ii, SP15 and SP10ii) are similar but not equal and I liked to do some tweaking with the regulating loop of the control circuit.

jauu
Calvin

mcclellaho
United States of America

Re: Technics Sl-5210 Speed Problem. Need Service Manual Or help.

Post by mcclellaho » 22 Nov 2019 01:10

Just finished fixing an SL-5200 with the exact same problem as above. One of the solder joints connecting FG-Generator to the PCB was bad. It worked sometimes, but would run wild if I tapped on the plinth. All good now. Thanks for saving me some time!