"mysterious" jacks on SL-J2

turning japanese
chevalier

"mysterious" jacks on SL-J2

Post by chevalier » 28 May 2008 15:00

I've recently bought an SL-J2 turntable. It works well and sounds OK, although it needs some cleaning and lubrication, as well as a new arm drive belt.
On the rear panel there are two jacks/sockets, which are not mentioned in the user manual: a red one, marked "synchro rec" and an unmarked green one. Does anybody knows what are these used for?
Another question: the top cover is scratched. Is there a way to remove the scratches (except for finding a new cover) :) ?
Thanks for your help.

delcam1n0
long player
long player

Post by delcam1n0 » 28 May 2008 15:12

Hi Chevalier, welcome to VE!

Here is a full VE manual on the SLJ2
that may well answer some of your Qs

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/tec ... l-j2.shtml

As far as I recall one of those sockets (Sync) was connected
to a similarly sized Technics cassettedeck (in a complete mini-
system) to provide a signal to start the cassette recording...not
sure about the unmarked one though...but do read the manual
and you can enlighten all of us!!

Have fun! And dont forget to order a new
cart/stylus for your new turntable!
The scratches probably can be removed with
a special polishing paste (like for bikeriders
visors/helmets) and lots of elbowgrease....

chevalier

Thanks

Post by chevalier » 01 Jun 2008 20:54

Thank you very much for your reply and advice. I have the manual (it came with the TT), but it doesn't mention the sockets. I'll try the tt with the original cartridge for a while, and will replace it with a new one when I feel it's time for it. Any suggestion for a good budget replacement?

delcam1n0
long player
long player

Post by delcam1n0 » 02 Jun 2008 07:12

Mmmm Chevalier.....I checked VE manual here too and
indeed it doesnt mention that facility! Strange..And after
all these years hard to recall with what Technics cassette
deck(s?) that function was implemented...so sorry!

For good quality relatively inexpensive cartridge
replacement the Grado Prestige Black T4P might
well do the trick. Retails here in Germany around
the 50 € mark. Otherwise there might be even
cheaper offers from Audio Technica and Shure
if you cannot find the original Technics replacement

producer_ben

Post by producer_ben » 17 Aug 2008 00:00

Hi Chevalier,
I seem to recall an old friend having one of these. He had a full system and from memory, like Delcam said, the synchro is for sychronising the tape deck to the turntable when recording. The other socket is used as a remote input. Either way, these sockets/fuctions only apply when used in conjuction with compatible componants.

armarra
Australia

Re: "mysterious" jacks on SL-J2

Post by armarra » 12 Aug 2019 07:19

...bump after a while.

I'm using it here, albeit on a slightly different Technics turntable.

it is to set the cassette player recording when the needle is lowered and to stop the cassette recording when the needle is raised. I think the intention is to stop you having to rewind the tape back to the spot where the record ended.

the turntable will continue playing even after the tape has finished though, which is a shame as it was capable of cueing up off the record electronically so why not after the tape ends prematurely ?

the actual cables used are just plain earphone plugs like on your smartphone, but be aware that they are mono, so two bands not three and that they are 2.5mm in thickness not the older 3.5mm type that are so common. Any player/recorder that has a synch function should work with these, for example I'm connecting mine between the technics turntable and a dual well pioneer cassette player.

By using a 2 into 1 adapter you can connect a cd player as well so that you can record vinyl or CD to the tape media that is getting a resurgence lately.

the multi CD players can even switch CDs and if you have a multi cassette changer like CT-M6R , then you can record 6 CDs onto 6 tapes with the press of a button and leave it to do the rest through this one synchro connection.

what is happening internally is that the two wires in that cable have a high or a low voltage to indicate if the turntable arm is up or down or even if it is moving across between tracks while raised.

this is often used in conjunction with the remote cables which are the full 3.5mm in size and are connected from in to out across many components , finishing up at the last one in the chain and NOT connected back to the first. IN this manner, any of the components can receive remote control instructions from the one at the top of the chain that does not have its remote control 'in' socket plugged. This is particularly useful when all the components except one are located within a closed cabinet, yet the control of them is desired in that state.

in effect only the first infra red receiver in the chain is used to accept remote control commands. The commands then travel along the chain until they get to the component that will react to the remote control used. A priority list exists where certain commands that are common to many components like play and stop will be responded to by the first one in the chain that responds I think... or something to that effect.