SL-Q3 record size selector moves by itself

turning japanese
Sam Neve
Netherlands

SL-Q3 record size selector moves by itself

Post by Sam Neve » 07 Feb 2020 11:01

Hello Vinyl lovers, first let me introduce myself. I am Sam Neve from the Netherlands, 45 years old so grown up with vinyl records a little while before CD’s took over the music market. :roll:

I never said goodbye to my turntable (Technics SL-B2 black), it was always hooked up to my Hifi sets. Recently I found two Technics TT: the SL-D3 and SL-Q3. Both needed some TLC, most of it is cleaning and lubrication. The SL-D3 had broken hinges, so those are now refurbished with 3d printed new parts.

I have a problem with the Technics SL-Q3. This is an automatic TT. When I select the 7" size and press start, the platter starts to rotate, the tone arm lifts up, but then something strange happens. The selector button for de record size moves towards the 12" position by itself... :shock:

I've removed the bottom plate to inspect the inside, but no lose ends there for as far I can see it.
As I own a SL-D3 as well, I've looked at the inside of that one as well. The automatic mechanism looks the same. So, I looked for differences and probably missing parts.

It looks like one spring is missing. See pictures below. As I cannot operate the TT with removed bottom plate, therefor it's not possible to see what this spring does, or if/how it is connected to the record size selector.
Does somebody know if the SL-Q3 should have this spring as well? In the exploded view drawing I found, it's not possible to see this as the automatic assembly is mentioned as 1 part.
Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help

Sam

Inside the SL-Q3 missing spring??

Inside SL-D3 spring attached:

Sam Neve
Netherlands

Re: SL-Q3 record size selector moves by itself

Post by Sam Neve » 14 Feb 2020 14:01

Here's a schematic picture of the service manual of the SL-D3, which shows the spring as well. Is there some one who owns a SL-Q3 and would like to open it and have a look if the spring is there?
Thanks in advance.