Technics SL 1600 MKII remove black plastic control panel

turning japanese
djfritzen
Netherlands

Technics SL 1600 MKII remove black plastic control panel

Post by djfritzen » 29 Jan 2020 13:36

Hi.

I am planning on disambling a 1600 MKII and I am wondering how to remove the black plastic front control panel.
In the service manual it looks like only 'lifting up' this plastic strip will do the trick but I am afraid of maybe breaking it.

Is there anyone who can explain to me how to do this ?

Thanks
Attachments
1600MKII.JPG
(17.67 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Front panel.JPG
(32.62 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

scho2684
long player
long player

Re: Technics SL 1600 MKII remove black plastic control panel

Post by scho2684 » 29 Jan 2020 13:41

Ah, is this the 1600MK2 from Amsterdam or Delft that recently showed up on Marktplaats?
That plate is being bolted to the cabinet.
You need to completely lift off the cabinet, remove the print board, and then you will see a few very small nuts which are the nuts that are holding the complete control unit bolted to the cabinet.

That thick plexi cover is attached with 2 sided tape to the plastic control units at the bottom that you see in that picture where the knobs are being held, I cant remember if the plexi cover itself is also bolted but you will find out soon enough if you have lifted the cabinet and removed the print board...

I have found a picture from a previous 1700MKII project of mine in which that double tape was redone:
SL-1700MKII cover.jpg
(55.12 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Note the left side, it looks like the plexi cover has a recess there in which the plate of the knobs is being grabbed, so no escaping to a complete dismantle...
Last edited by scho2684 on 29 Jan 2020 14:00, edited 2 times in total.

djfritzen
Netherlands

Post by djfritzen » 29 Jan 2020 13:57

Thanks for the reply and yes, this is the 1600MK2 from Amsterdam :wink:
Here's a picture from the inside (found this picture somewhere). I see two screws in about the middle ?
Is this what you are referring too ? Can't see any bolts.
Attachments
s-l1600-2.jpg
(211.2 KiB) Downloaded 55 times

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 29 Jan 2020 14:03

Ah, I see screws in stead...
I must be mixing things up here, my last project was a 1400MK2 and that one has bolts...
Unscrew all you see there than that control unit should come off.
I believe some of those elements there are grabbing that plexi cover (the power button section for example)

Wondering: you bought that table from Ams or are you the technician that was fixing this thing?
I had visited Ams to buy this table, however there where a few things not so okay with it...

djfritzen
Netherlands

Post by djfritzen » 29 Jan 2020 14:21

Okay, thanks. I still have to start disambling it. I hope to start in a few days. For now orientating on how to do this. I am no technician but I have some friends who will help me if needed.

I bought this player 2 weeks ago and I am planning on a new powdercoat layer(s) so that's why I want to disamble it. I also tested it and technical things seems to be okay. It might be that the mute function will give me some troubles.
What were your concerns about it ?

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 29 Jan 2020 14:49

That mute is a simple short cut mechanism which if it is not functioning can be easily repaired...
You have to be careful though with that arm, because if its failing then you need to take that apart and that is quit a puzzle if you have never done that...

Download the service manual from here and dismantle acc. the order which is shown in the service manual

When I visited this player not a single auto function was working, only the lift (the one thing that almost always fail) was okay...
Also the buttons where not working at all, only after a very hefty press the 45RPM would go, start/stop nothing...
We called the "technician" who was someone else then who sold the table, and I explained to him what was wrong with it, the seller would send the deck to that person for repair.
I left it there as I was a bit afraid that this thing was electronically not okay in regard to the auto functions.
It was listed as "good as new" from a privat collection and I could not believe the cosmetic condition when I came there so I can understand you want to powdercoat...

He did send it to his technician, and later the seller contacted me the table was repaired and if I was still interested, but other priorities had popped up so I told no...

djfritzen
Netherlands

Post by djfritzen » 29 Jan 2020 15:15

The seller told me it was serviced by Techn. Office K. Wit in Assendelft. He also made a little youtube movie to show it is functioning.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akR4Wwz ... e=youtu.be

I printed the service manual so with that and the information I collected it must be possible to do this :wink:
Thanks

scho2684
long player
long player

Post by scho2684 » 29 Jan 2020 15:33

Very good, he kept his word as that is what he had told me: he will shoot a video, and he did so it appears...
I never saw it though as I told him that I had other priorities...

Well good for you, very nice tables...
I always keep an eye on them if they come up for sail, I like to restore them and sell them again...
Strictly 1300MK2, 1400MK2, 1600MK2 and 1700MK2
I never had a 1600, this would have been the first, now you have it ;-)

djfritzen
Netherlands

Post by djfritzen » 29 Jan 2020 16:28

Ah, interesting.
I also have a regular SL-1710 and a Dual CS750 which I use as a main player at this moment.
The Dual I will sell as soon as the MKII is ready for use.