Technics SL-1800 MK2/MKII Platter Noise

turning japanese
jhutchinson
United States of America

Technics SL-1800 MK2/MKII Platter Noise

Post by jhutchinson » 14 Dec 2019 15:38

I recently purchased a Technics SL-1800 MK2 and it is working fine besides a couple of minor issues. The neon lamp does not light, and I was able to find a replacement part. The other issue is that the platter seems to be dragging on something. When the turntable is normally operating there is an audible rubbing noise every time the platter rotates. It gets much worse when I put on a record weight. Is anyone familiar with this issue, and can it be fixed?

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Re: Technics SL-1800 MK2/MKII Platter Noise

Post by lenjack » 14 Dec 2019 17:22

Welcome to our forum.
Remove the platter and look for something that may be loose or dragging. If it doesn't come off easily, don't be afraid to pull hard. Make sure the transit screws have been removed. Do you have the owners manual? If not, it's available in the library, at the top of this page.

jhutchinson
United States of America

Post by jhutchinson » 15 Dec 2019 02:25

I did have the platter off, and I couldn't see anything obvious. The transit screws were not installed. The platter was actually packed separately, and I don't see any signs of damage. I was thinking something could be up with the chassis since it is spring loaded. I took a look at the manuals, and they were helpful with setting it up. The tone arm takes a long time to drop, about 5-10 seconds. Is that normal?

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 15 Dec 2019 13:37

It may have something to do with the spring loading. Over the many years, it may have collapsed somewhat. I don't know if it's adjustable.

chgc

Post by chgc » 15 Dec 2019 14:45

Sounds like the suspension needs to be tightened up a bit, as Lenjack suggests. This can be done by tightening the 4 nuts in the recesses next to the feet. This will likely require a deep 7mm socket. I generally do this by sliding each corner of the turntable slightly over the edge of the workbench in succession, rather than turning the deck upside down. Search this site for “7mm socket” for further discussion.

5-10 seconds for the tonearm to drop does sound kind of slow. Perhaps the arm lift mechanism is sticky from lack of lubrication/corrosion or someone could have overhauled it and applied an excessively viscous damping fluid.

Hope this helps.

paddypaws
England

Post by paddypaws » 17 Dec 2019 18:28

I've just had the same with an Sl-1700mk2 which is the same deck as the sl-1800mk2 but with auto return. I adjusted the springs as detailed by chgc above and that raised the platter enough to stop it rubbing. I put it on a Black and Decker work bench that has adjustable sliding table tops so you can get to the bolts underneath the turntable whilst its still on its feet, this makes it easy to adjust. The 7mm socket needs to be a couple of inches deep to clear the centre screw thread. A quick and easy fix.
Try spraying some IPA into the arm lifter's up and down spigot, leave for 20 mins and then work it a few times, this worked for me. It may save you having to take the turntable apart to get to the damping mechanism as chgc has suggested.
Last edited by paddypaws on 17 Dec 2019 18:40, edited 1 time in total.

lenjack
long player
long player
United States of America

Post by lenjack » 17 Dec 2019 18:38

IPA? Isn't that beer? :o :shock: :? 8) :roll: :wink: #-o

paddypaws
England

Post by paddypaws » 17 Dec 2019 18:42

🤣 Yes, but in this case better use Isopropyl Alcohol! I think beer might make it worse.

jhutchinson
United States of America

Post by jhutchinson » 20 Dec 2019 01:42

So far I have tried some of your suggestions, and I have had some luck with solving some of the issues. I bought a 1/4" drive deep 7mm socket, and tightened up the suspension so the platter no longer rubs. At some point I need to go back to fine tune it because I didn't do a great job making sure it was completely level at the end. I have a weight with a leveling bubble, and it seems pretty stable, but it probably could be a little bit better.

I have yet to do anything with the arm lifter. I believe it can just be unscrewed from the top, but I haven't decided whether or not to go through with it. It does work, but it is just slow. It seems to have loosened up a tiny bit since I have been using it. I printed out a protractor and aligned the needle. It was really out of alignment, and I had to have the anti-skate control almost all the way up. I bought a Technics headshell, and am looking into cartridge options. It came with an AT cart, and it has a green stylus. It would need to be completely removed from the headshell for me to see which one it is. Thank you for the warm welcome, and suggestions.

SCO
Turks & Caicos Is

Post by SCO » 20 Dec 2019 09:27

If I were to guess, I would say that the cart is probably an AT-95E https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/cart ... index.html.

Does it look something like this?

https://shop.audiolimburg.com/1928-larg ... chnica.jpg